Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Andy Hughes

Wonderful video in the My Norwich City Story, good to here a very honest interview, not the greatest footballer but did always his best. Some good stories too.

I remember him well. After a rather unimpressive start he warmed to the crowd and in fact if I recall correctly he became a bit of a fans favourite. 

A player who tried hard and put the effort in when others appeared to take the easy option.

His piece reads that he felt he was underappreciated here a smidgeon, but I'm not sure that was actually the case?

27 minutes ago, East Rider said:

piece reads that he felt he was underappreciated here a smidgeon, but I'm not sure that was actually the case?

20 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Best arm waver and pointer we ever had.

Well that’s an answer of sorts right there 

Surely Russ Martin set the standard for pointing.

McLean came close to it last season though he alternates pointing with that two hands straight to the floor in a 'pass it to my feet but obv you can't because I'm standing right next to you'  gesture.

If he concentrated more on direct pointing he'd have approached Russ' level. 

Edited by Number9
Spelling

He punched the air very well too, not that we had much cause for that during that dreadful era!

I’ve not watched any yet. Are they all an hour long??? We live in an age of continual partial attention, I can’t concentrate on one thing for that long! 

And what’s with the melting chocolate fades at the start? Weird.

Edited by Nuff Said
Speeling

I don't recall him becoming a fans favourite, more that we all just accepted he was crap but would run around a lot.

Worthington signed some absolute dross after we got relegated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Neil Emblem wasn't far behind.

Was he even on the pitch enough to make that judgement?

Havent watched the vid but didnt he go to Leeds after us and they took quite a liking to him?

49 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't recall him becoming a fans favourite, more that we all just accepted he was crap but would run around a lot.

This, so much potential, for some reason none of them performed. 

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Was he even on the pitch enough to make that judgement?

Neil was usually spotted patrolling majestically between the areas of 'deep lying sweeper and goal line technology placement point'

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Havent watched the vid but didnt he go to Leeds after us and they took quite a liking to him?

He did. He said in the video he dropped down to league one and felt it was more his level. Very honest assessment of himself.

Just now, East Rider said:

Neil was usually spotted patrolling majestically between the areas of 'deep lying sweeper and goal line technology placement point'

Ha!

I always felt quite sorry for him. Quite an expensive signing by our standards, made captain and then wrecked his knee in his first game.

51 minutes ago, king canary said:

Hughes, Jarrett, Robinson, Etuhu... Those were some dark days in central midfield. 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Hughes, Jarrett, Robinson, Etuhu... Those were some dark days in central midfield. 

Etuhu had some ability to be fair.

The rest though we're just well meaning, hardworking cloggers so we had no quality in central midfield.

Mind you Grant replaced them with Darell Russell and Julian Brellier who somehow managed to be worse.

Just now, king canary said:

Etuhu had some ability to be fair.

The rest though we're just well meaning, hardworking cloggers so we had no quality in central midfield.

Mind you Grant replaced them with Darell Russell and Julian Brellier who somehow managed to be worse.

Etuhu picked up in his second season but was dreadful in his first. His problem was that you just seemed to forget he was there at times.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Ha!

I always felt quite sorry for him. Quite an expensive signing by our standards, made captain and then wrecked his knee in his first game.

Yeh so did I. I suspect he was a very good pro and could have done well for us, just unlucky.

In the alternative of course he may have ended up as a greater arm waver than Andy. We will never know.

Where did Fozzy finally Flop?

Never understood the Fozzy deal, he was bang average at best, his agent kept him in work a truly incredible feat, then when it became clear that we were going down, he disappeared, one of my least favorite players. 

A reminder that there are bad times to go with the good. Let's be honest it was a rubbish time to be  NCFC fan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Etuhu picked up in his second season but was dreadful in his first. His problem was that you just seemed to forget he was there at times.

Etuhu frustrated me as he was a menace when he'd make late runs into the box but half the time he looked like he couldn't be bothered. Carved out a solid career for himself though.

I'm loving this series. It show us fans that, even if we think we know what goes on behind the scenes, there is a lot we will never know.

Also, you never see Andrew Hughes and this bloke, in the same room:

Image result for lee nelson

• Haha 1

Just finished watching this one. The whole series has been brilliant.

AH's honesty is commendable, players get admitted to the Hall of Fame for all sorts of reasons, I'd put AH in for this interview.

46 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I'm loving this series. It show us fans that, even if we think we know what goes on behind the scenes, there is a lot we will never know.

Also, you never see Andrew Hughes and this bloke, in the same room:

Image result for lee nelson

Qualitee! Wasn’t it him (or the comedian who played him) who gave Teresa May a P45 at the Tory party conference?