CANARYKING

Peter Crouch retires

He finally ran out of oxygen then.

When I was a first year pupil at school I once asked a six foot plus 6th. Former what the weather was like up there.

He hit me very hard over the head with his copy of the Times. I've struggled with it's crossword ever since.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Daily podcasts???

Agreed, gifted player - and seems like a decent lad.  Very media friendly, so should be able to make it on the punditry circuit somewhere, or get some presenting work like his mate Dion!!

He had a superb scoring record for England, averaging a goal every 99 minutes, far better than Rooney who averaged a goal every 168 minutes.

Great player and one who should have had more caps.

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

He had a superb scoring record for England, averaging a goal every 99 minutes, far better than Rooney who averaged a goal every 168 minutes.

Great player and one who should have had more caps.

I agree.

But I think the problem was they couldn't find any big enough to fit his head 😉

Arguably the most likeable footballer of his generation. I've heard he wants to get into coaching, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a good career on the telly eventually.

It's a real shame football didn't have more Crouches and less Neymars, Suarezzes* and Pogbas.

*What the hell is the plural of Suarez!?

We should have signed him instead of Huckerby. Would have scored more goals, had a longer career and the possibility to sell for millions. Heart over head decision.

9 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Good feet for a big man.

This. The first time I saw him for City my immediate thought was "WTF!! This streak is going to be awful". But I was clearly proven wrong within the space of a game.

Top lad as well, with one of the best footballer quotes.

His podcasts are definitely worth a go if you're a footy fan! Which, presumably applies to at least *most* people on here..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Arguably the most likeable footballer of his generation. I've heard he wants to get into coaching, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a good career on the telly eventually.

It's a real shame football didn't have more Crouches and less Neymars, Suarezzes* and Pogbas.

*What the hell is the plural of Suarez!?

I believe it's "Suari"

• Haha 1

Just now, Rock The Boat said:

We should have signed him instead of Huckerby. Would have scored more goals, had a longer career and the possibility to sell for millions. Heart over head decision.

Two things:

Is there really a Norwich who regrets signing one of the most legendary players of the last 20 years?

We got promoted that season. Regardless of what happened afterwards, the decision to sign Huckerby instead of Crouch was entirely justified.

A very likeable guy, and a model pro. But more importantly he was a quality footballer. It would've been great to have seen more of Crouch in a Norwich shirt. 

As for the podcasts.. they're a little bit 'samey' for me. The first few we're great but I've lost a bit of interest in them now. But clearly the potential is there for Crouch to be successful in the media world. 

Edited by Il Pirata

24 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

It's nice to see that RTB is consistently stupid.

Saw him score at Upton Park, Huckerby tore Repka a new one that night, Damian Francis hit a post. Ended 1-1, I couldn't believe how tall he was.....

21 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Saw him score at Upton Park, Huckerby tore Repka a new one that night, Damian Francis hit a post. Ended 1-1, I couldn't believe how tall he was.....

A friend of mine is the same height as Crouchy but doesn't seem quite as tall... It's weird, but I think it's the fact that Crouch is SO skinny and all limby. It makes him look even taller somehow! 😂

• Like 1

We hear about various 'isms in the game and campaigns against them but Crouch got dogs abuse because of his height and build and had the character to handle it. 

He was remarkably dextrous for one with such long limbs, a good footballer who had a height advantage and this was recognised. 

He also seems to have enjoyed a good marriage with a beautiful and talented wife. 

And to top it all he had a long career. 

Good for him. 

Legend, absolutely love the guy.

Earlier in his career, an interviewer asked him: "What would you have been if you weren't a footballer?"

His reply: "A virgin."

😄

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

What the hell is the plural of Suarez!?

Suarezi  !

Benny Till must be busy elsewhere as no reference or photo of the lovely Abby ...yet. 

Mucho Respecto to Peter for his attitude, approachabilty, honesty and some great moments in  England and Norwich  Jerseys.

Would be very good company for a couple of hours i'd imagine.

18 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

What the hell is the plural of Suarez!?

Think you'll find it’s a free choice from either Suaresents or Suaresbians.

He was part of that successful loan trio and I for one was bitterly disappointed we did not sign him up. 

Usual moronic comments at the time from those who never went to games stating he was only good in a long ball team when he was superb with the ball at his feet in the penalty area.

I believe he was another who was snapped up by Southampton for a low price when we could have made a bit more effort to have him back.

One we missed in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

His longevity should be applauded. 

His long everything should be applauded.!

2 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

His longevity should be applauded. 

He stood head and shoulders above his peers....

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 13:09, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Two things:

Is there really a Norwich who regrets signing one of the most legendary players of the last 20 years?

We got promoted that season. Regardless of what happened afterwards, the decision to sign Huckerby instead of Crouch was entirely justified.

Signing Huckerby, as good as almost guaranteed promotion!

Apparently in the summer after winning the title in 04, we wanted to sign Crouch. Villa wanted 2 million and we offered 1.2!

Southampton paid the fee and a season later sold Crouch for 8 million to Liverpool!

That 04/05 Premiership season we struggled for goals big time until we signed Dean Ashton in January. I suspect had signed Crouch in the 04 summer we'd of been much closer to staying up and we'd could of got a decent fee for him! - Hindsight!