Firstly, this isn't me being pedantic, let me pop that right at the top.

I just opened the forum to get my little dose of Norwich football opinions and chats and was amused to see the top 2 threads:

EU Straw Poll

Tour De France

Cricket World Cup

Now, this isn't down to my disinterest, I'm VERY interested in the Cricket World Cup, but that isn't why I'm here. I'd probably go to the Non-Football sub forum to see if anyone was chatting about that. Failing that, I would go to a cricket forum, not a football one.

My question is, where is the line?

I've recently seen both 'Love Island' and 'Game of Thrones' thread starters be reprimanded by vigilante users for being 'not about football' - but the above are OK? Is this fair on those thread starters? Maybe they aren't deemed popular enough by their peers here? 

Is this down to whether or not which particular 'Off Topics' these vigilantes are actually interested in? Or is it as simple as where the moderators interests lie?

Incidentally, I've zero interest in Love Island, less than zero if that's possible. But that thread got moved. Why not the others?

Clearly, the Norwich football part of this forum is the most popular, I assume (though I know you never should) this is why these topics are posted in here - maximum exposure for a popular subject. But that isn't really the point is it? 

Brexit has been going on for 3 years now, and what started out as an opinion poll (which became a political discussion, yeah, thankfully...) on this site is stiiiilllll going on. That shows it's popular, this I DO NOT question one bit. I'm just throwing it out there that the Norwich City main football forum isn't the perfect place for it. Crazy, I know. 

It's bad enough I have to occasionally stumble upon anything posted by Bill, now Brexit is the constant thorn in the side of my slice of football. When will the madness end?

Maybe we should create a couple of sub-forums. One for Norwich related football stuff, a football site based 'Main Discussion' if you will (you know, matches, tactics, players, rivals, gossip etc.) and one for Non-Football. Maybe that would work?

And no, the irony of this being non-football related is not lost on me. It actually tickled me a little.

PS: Asking for a friend who wants to start an in depth discussion about the Kardashians and just does not know where to put it.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 1

I can’t really see a problem to be honest.

Non-Norwich threads are generally quite few, although close season will obviously have more than during the season. 

The Brexit thread is a necessary evil, to suck in all the chat related to it that would otherwise creep into other threads, or generate several new threads a week. Like the rumours thread has stopped there being 100s of new threads on each rumour. 

Compared to many forums, this one is very good at staying on topic. 

• Like 2

It's become a truism on here that you don't have to read these threads. If you can't be arsed to scroll past 3 threads, I have to ask if you're one of these snowflake millennials? (I hate the phrase, but couldn't resist it). The flip side is that the non-football section is a morgue, so it's post in the main section, or don't bother.

I feel incredibly strongly about Brexit, but posted on that thread about 12 months or so ago that I'd said my piece and I wasn't going back, mainly because reading some of the unreasoning sh*te on there is not good for my blood pressure. I've manage to resist it ever since.

When they start to take over, then I'll grant you there's a case to be made, but at the moment like BYG says, it's pretty well managed.

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Need a raging perverts act 2 if you ask me.

Please no!

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It's become a truism on here that you don't have to read these threads. If you can't be arsed to scroll past 3 threads, I have to ask if you're one of these snowflake millennials? (I hate the phrase, but couldn't resist it). The flip side is that the non-football section is a morgue, so it's post in the main section, or don't bother.

Point 1: Haha, definitely not by a long shot!

Point 2: This is true, and I touched upon that. But playing Devil's advocate, if these popular non-football threads were in the non-football section, that section may actually become popular. But they're here, so we will never know I suppose - Maybe it's a little like Schrodinger's forum.

I agree with BYG that the Brexit thread is a necessary evil. It's a huge part of our lives, that cannot be helped. But frankly, I would hope that there are parts of my life where I can escape it for a short time. It turns out the Pink Un Norwich City football forum is no longer one of those places...

I also agree with BYG that it's well managed thus far, but it was Brexit, then Cricket World Cup, then Tour De France. One thing leads to another.... Maybe it will end there and all become a hallowed Oasis of football once the season starts. 

Once again, hardly a pedantic moan, but I did find myself wondering why some are moved and some aren't. I'd probably be aggrieved if I loved me some Love Island, started a thread and got told by people posting in other non related football threads that it wasn't football related - Luckily for me, I haven't been bitten by the Love Island bug, and have no intention on letting that happen. 

I'm glad that it's been taken with a mixture of good humour and reasoned responses though. 

I'm happy with whatever thread keeps traffic on the Forum. There's no compulsion to read threads you have no interest in. I've looked at other Forums and most tolerate a wide range of subjects without any serious dissent.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Maybe we should create a couple of sub-forums. One for Norwich related football stuff, a football site based 'Main Discussion' if you will (you know, matches, tactics, players, rivals, gossip etc.) and one for Non-Football. Maybe that would work?

And no, the irony of this being non-football related is not lost on me. It actually tickled me a little.

PS: Asking for a friend who wants to start an in depth discussion about the Kardashians and just does not know where to put it. 

I'm sorry but who are the Kardashians? Are they not footballers then?

It’s just so easy not to be bothered about a non NCFC thread, and not open it if it’s of no interest to you. I don’t understand the upset whatsoever. Sorry.

• Like 2

Also, in the spirit of openness I have to admit that on the odd occasion I go to TWTD for a gloat, I often end up reading their non-football threads. Clearly no forum Nazis in Suffolk. 😉

• Like 1

Well it’s all relevant to Norwich City FC, the EU thread highlights the two faced racist who doesn’t want foreigners in our country controlling our way of life but it’s OK if they are playing or managing Norwich City!

Tour de France winner or leader ride to get a Norwich City Jersey, So definitely Norwich related and Cricket saw Australia nick our Norwich City shirts and got humped by a team who play in Light blue!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

It’s just so easy not to be bothered about a non NCFC thread, and not open it if it’s of no interest to you. I don’t understand the upset whatsoever. Sorry.

I feel you have definitely missed the point. There is no upset here, I've pointed that out a number of times. You haven't read the post, or have just read what you wanted to read - 'Oh, this must be someone moaning and getting upset, I'll respond based on that'.

Couldn't be further from accurate.

There was always going to be at least one.

31 minutes ago, Indy said:

Well it’s all relevant to Norwich City FC, the EU thread highlights the two faced racist who doesn’t want foreigners in our country controlling our way of life but it’s OK if they are playing or managing Norwich City!

Tour de France winner or leader ride to get a Norwich City Jersey, So definitely Norwich related and Cricket saw Australia nick our Norwich City shirts and got humped by a team who play in Light blue!

It's pretty difficult to argue with that logic. 

Well played Indy, I take it all back  👏👏👏

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I'm sorry but who are the Kardashians? Are they not footballers then?

I think it's similar to football, they still seem to change ends at half time.......

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Also, in the spirit of openness I have to admit that on the odd occasion I go to TWTD for a gloat, I often end up reading their non-football threads. Clearly no forum Nazis in Suffolk. 😉

Although to be fair, on TWTD it's probably best to talk about anything BUT football 

• Like 1

Have to agree with the op to a certain extent. Cricket should be in a non football sub-forum, cycling should be in a non sporting sub-forum and Brexit should be in a sub-forum for those who like being stuck in a time warp. 

• Like 1

Id agree mid season, just when you stop an think about it, unless we have a transfer Saga playing out or we have actually started pre-season matched, there isn't really a whole lot to talk about that hasn't been gone over in the last month. 

You either have rules (or should I say guidelines) or you do not.

Flaunt them and you get a free for all which suits nobody.

The existence of the long standing Brexit thread (yawn) does seem to have opened the floodgates by giving credence to all sorts of non-footballing items.

The fact that this thread has become the equivalent of a forum whoopee cushion with a few largely ill-informed participants just blowing raspberries at each other doesn't help. The fact that it has a habit of staring us in the face with some self-opinionated nonsense or other each morning when we log on is rather insulting and something most of us neither need nor welcome.  

As the OP stated, it is not particularly bothersome and it can easily be avoided, but it's not as if there isn't a perfectly adequate outlet for topics other than NCFC.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

So long as it's kept to sensible levels I don't think most people have a problem with it, especially during this quiet time. When it is kept to important and broad appeal sporting subjects it keeps the traffic flowing to the site, as has been said.

If endless stuff, like "someone's released a new album", "have you seen X on ITV4", "have you heard about celebrity Y", starts cluttering up the forum then I feel a good moan would be called for. As it is, we seem to be self moderating, so no problem.

46 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

You either have rules (or should I say guidelines) or you do not.

Flaunt them and you get a free for all which suits nobody.

The existence of the long standing Brexit thread (yawn) does seem to have opened the floodgates by giving credence to all sorts of non-footballing items.

The fact that this thread has become the equivalent of a forum whoopee cushion with a few largely ill-informed participants just blowing raspberries at each other doesn't help. The fact that it has a habit of staring us in the face with some self-opinionated nonsense or other each morning when we log on is rather insulting and something most of us neither need nor welcome.  

As the OP stated, it is not particularly bothersome and it can easily be avoided, but it's not as if there isn't a perfectly adequate outlet for topics other than NCFC.

That’s mainly down to the drinking habits of Billy and his late night ranting, if it prevents violence on the streets in the early hours it has a community benefit!

• Haha 1

As I drove by, all of the floodlights were on at Carrow Road at 23.00 hours last night......?

Anyway......Brexit......Brexit......Brexit......Brexit......Brexit......Brexit.....BREXIT!!!......Oh, and why were all the floodlights on at Carrow Road at 11 o' clock last night?.......Brexit......

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Cricket should be in a non football sub-forum, cycling should be in a non sporting sub-forum and Brexit should be in a sub-forum for those who like being stuck in a time warp.

But you are ok with tennis Lakey........

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/126325-ot-murray-comeback/&tab=comments#comment-2113363

Doh! 🤣

• Haha 1

I think VAR should have a look at it. Perhaps the yellow jersey makes the cycling a Norwich City thread but then again perhaps not! The cricket thread is different. I know the Australian team play in yellow and green .... but they're Australian. Theo was Australian wasn't he? The Brexit thread is another matter. VAR should definitely review this one .... several times. 

Edited by Yellow Wal