Sign in to follow this  
Half Ar5ed Hipster

OT - Newcastle, Steve Bruce and everything in between

Lost a bit of respect for Bruce over this.

Wednesday held their job open for him while he took some (deserved) family time post Villa when they could have appointed someone else. He could have repaid that by not walking about at the first opportunity but no.

With Rafa - I do wonder how much of it was the club's lack of ambition Vs Ashley not giving him a substantial pay rise.

The fact he immediately went to the Chinese league suggests to me it was the latter, which is fair enough.

We keep hearing about how Rafa wasn't backed by the owner - but on Transfermarkt it looks like they spent about 160m over the last 3 years. Still a decent amount considering they were in the championship for the first of those three. Additionally, the players they have sold in the premier league all seemed to be players not fancied by Rafa.

How much backing Bruce will get?

Edited by HertsCanary93

42 minutes ago, king canary said:

Lost a bit of respect for Bruce over this.

Wednesday held their job open for him while he took some (deserved) family time post Villa when they could have appointed someone else. He could have repaid that by not walking about at the first opportunity but no.

Exactly this.

He has previous for this too. Back in 2001 he managed 3 different clubs. Quit Wigan when Palace came in for him and was there for a few months before Birmingham made an approach and off he went again, resigning from the club. I guess loyalty isn't his thing, especially as you say, you'd expect that considering SWFC allowed him some time off.

Amazed he's never been manager here considering how many times he was linked early in his managerial career.

4 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Amazedļ»æļ»æ he'ļ»æs never ļ»æbeeļ»æn manaļ»æger heļ»æreļ»æļ»æ

Heā€™dĀ walk on his knees to X other club at the drop of a hat. Best avoided

• Like 1

On 16/07/2019 at 13:17, alex_ncfc said:

Amazed he's never been manager here considering how many times he was linked early in his managerial career.

I thought he'd been interviewed once, with the board less than impressed with his attitude to coaching qualifications.

Perfect first home game for us, Newcastle fans talking of a boycott for their first home game against Arsenal, the more disruption the better.

On 16/07/2019 at 13:50, HertsCanary93 said:

With Rafa - I do wonder how much of it was the club's lack of ambition Vs Ashley not giving him a substantial pay rise.

The fact he immediately went to the Chinese league suggests to me it was the latter, which is fair enough.

We keep hearing about how Rafa wasn't backed by the owner - but on Transfermarkt it looks like they spent about 160m over the last 3 years. Still a decent amount considering they were in the championship for the first of those three. Additionally, the players they have sold in the premier league all seemed to be players not fancied by Rafa.

How much backing Bruce will get?

I made a similar point about Benitez and the Chinese move on a Guardian football chat page some days There is a strong anti-Ashley bias in the media, and especially with one or two Guardian journalists. Much of their criticism is probably justified, but the assumption, especially since Benitez arrived, has always been that Ashley is in the wrong, and that it was all hisĀ fault this time that negotiations with Benitez broke down.

Perhaps not. Certainly Benitez found the Chinese job very quickly afterwards. So quickly one might think he knew the offer was already there and was looking for a way of taking it.