Sign in to follow this  
Half Ar5ed Hipster

OT - Newcastle, Steve Bruce and everything in between

I was just reading yesterday poor Newcastle are going through the ringer in relation to their new gaffer and having sold their top scorer from last season as well as losing Rondon. 

Steve Bruce seems to lead the pack of candidates with Toon fans pretty indifferent.

Makes you realise how lucky we are to have the set up we do and not having a basket case like Mike Ashley in charge, and to think it could have been all so different - see file under case: Jez Moxey which now seems a life time ago.

I believe Newcastle are a big club but these days are fairly down there really. I wonder if Bruce, landing the gig, will do us any favours in the relegation battle? Crazy how managers of that ilk are still kicking around, though I havent seen sight nor sound of Pardew in some time...

Pardew, Curbishley and Roeder are probably sitting in Spain trying to work out where it all went wrong. 

Newcastle fans do have an inflated opinion of their club but they turn out in huge numbers and provide incredible support.

Trying to get a quality manager and players to live in that part of the world is a challenge and the awful atmosphere that Ashley has created makes it even harder. I would think Steve Bruce is about as good as it's going to get for them. 

They asked Allardyce to take over again and he turned them down! Honestly, this could be one hell of a soap opera. A good chance they could implode completely and end up going down.

My two nephews support Newcastle, having grown up in the city, but both are in the depths of despond about the current situation after their struggle to survive last season. Playing them at CR in our second game is a real chance for 3 points.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Pardew, Curbishley and Roeder are probably sitting in Spain trying to work out where it all went wrong.

With the pay-offs they've had I'd say if they're sitting in Spain it all went right. 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Newcastle fans do have an inflated opinion of their club but they turn out in huge numbers and provide incredible support.

I know it’s a few years ago but I seem to remember the last time they were in Europe the stadium was half empty for the early rounds

31 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I know it’s a few years ago but I seem to remember the last time they were in Europe the stadium was half empty for the early rounds

They've been very loyal for the last 25 years or so, but when they were in the old Second Division in 1990 their average attendance was under 17,000.

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

They've been very loyal for the last 25 years or so, but when they were in the old Second Division in 1990 their average attendance was under 17,000.

Then they got promoted, expanded the stadium to 35,000 straight away and then 52,000 five years later, and it's paid off! 

😉

I didn't realise Steve Bruce is only 3 years older than me-he looks at least 10 years older. (You'll have to trust me on that).

30 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

He's a year older than me and looks like my dad.

That’s not a very nice thing to say about your dad! 

587249F8-26CF-4C17-A96D-988A527C610B.jpeg

1 minute ago, Canary Jedi said:

That’s not a very nice thing to say about your dad! 

587249F8-26CF-4C17-A96D-988A527C610B.jpeg

My Dad died in 1992 , so ,although not a  very  nice thing to say about my Dad, sadly true.

Mixed reaction to this in Newcastle I’m sure - never well received when the new man has been the manager of your closest rival. Still he has done it before with Villa and Brum, that worked out well didn’t it 🙂, well eventually I guess it did for Villa.

There are certain jobs that you shouldn’t take if you want a good career.  These are the apparently high profile roles where you have little authority and are being used as a political patsy if it all goes wrong. The biggest issues Bruce faces here is the loss of their strikers followed by the murky intentions of their owner. The fans by contrast couldn’t be more committed- but their expectations are sky high.

Why wouldn’t  Benitez stay? Simply, he knew the job was now a crock of ****. The owners have made success more difficult by their approach. 

Bruce if he has any sense will know that too. He had Wednesday working at the end of last season. He should have them in contention for promotion this year. 

On 13/07/2019 at 23:25, wcorkcanary said:

My Dad died in 1992 , so ,although not a  very  nice thing to say about my Dad, sadly true.

Sorry mate

I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to discuss non-Norwich matters. Can we have a new location for Newcastle United-related threads which may be of passing interest to some but can also be easily ignored. 😉😂

After all, we're not animals.

Apples

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to discuss non-Norwich matters. Can we have a new location for Newcastle United-related threads which may be of passing interest to some but can also be easily ignored. 😉😂

After all, we're not animals.

Apples

It’s Norwich related-he’s heading to Newcastle who are in the same league as us. And he used to play for us 😝

6 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

That's hardly the point Mr Angry. 😂

Apples

You’re right. Club’s a joke/Moderator in crisis 🤣

• Haha 1

Newcastle a bit of a poisoned chalice with the current owner. The Jesus Gil of the EPL. But it is his money and its up to him.

Not sure that Bruce can do much. They probably won't go down but I can't see him inspiring them to great things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Bruce is a Geordie and Newcastle his team

Do me a favour. He managed Sunderland. They may have been "his team" when he was a kid but no real Newcastle fan takes charge of Sunderland.

• Like 1