Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Zimmermann to miss pre-season

Club annouced he's had to have surgery which will keep him out for 4-6 weeks.

Sad news but I'm really interested to see a Klose/Godfrey pairing at the back.

Edited by king canary
typo

Yes - tough luck for the big man. I'm guessing that this also cancels any ideas about playing 3 at the back for the opener.

Better that it's dealt with now, than take a risk, going into the season with the chance that he could break down and we lose him for 3 months mid season. 

I'd be happy with a Klose / Godfrey pairing, but I've always gotten the impression that Farke has earmarked the CBs into two groups.

i.e. More physical centre backs (Hanley / Zimmerman) and more ball-playing centre backs (Godfrey / Klose), so I wouldn't be surprised to see Hanley start if he impresses in pre-season (and no-one else joins).

Must have been the cape. Saddened he won't be around for the beginning, but we have good enough replacements. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NWC said:

Yes - tough luck for the big man. I'm guessing that this also cancels any ideas about playing 3 at the back for the opener.

Why not Godfrey, Klose and Hanley?

6 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

And if one gets injured?

59 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

That could still happen. If so, it's possible that Godfrey could be given a flexible role, moving forward into DM when we have the ball, then dropping back into the back three when it's lost. That could make us stronger at the back without diminishing our attacking abilities.

I think Farke picks his CB pairing on which dominant foot they have, ie one right and one left footer. Which is why certain pairings are never seen.

I may be wrong but I think Hanley is Zimbo’s direct replacement. 

They're all right footed aren't they? Klose and Zim probably the most two footed.

Edited by KeiranShikari

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

They're all right footed aren't they? Klose and Zim probably the most two footed.

They are all predominantly right footed, but I'd say Timm was the most two-footed by a distance personally.

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think you're correct with that.

The only combinations, off the top of my head, that we haven't seen much of are Godfrey-Hanley and Godfrey-Klose. This is more to do with the fact that Godfrey broke into the team at a time when Hanley wasn't fully fit and Klose had a knock, and we started a great run of form with Godfrey-Zimmermann so it remained the partnership for the rest of the season.

I'd go with Godfrey-Klose for Liverpool, and my instinct is that Farke will too.

1 hour ago, Orly said:

I'd be happy with a Klose / Godfrey pairing, but I've always gotten the impression that Farke has earmarked the CBs into two groups.

i.e. More physical centre backs (Hanley / Zimmerman) and more ball-playing centre backs (Godfrey / Klose), so I wouldn't be surprised to see Hanley start if he impresses in pre-season (and no-one else joins).

I can understand this thinking but personally, I think it's a myth created to justify why we haven't seen Godfrey / Klose together. When, I think it's more of a form thing (as outlined above). Plus, I'm pretty certain Godfrey would be considered physical (as well as ball playing), he's a bit of a monster!

18 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

They are all predominantly right footed, but I'd say Timm was the most two-footed by a distance personally.

I agree but I'd consider Godfrey second in the two-footed / technical defender, probably evidenced by the fact he was played left sided for all of his appearances.

I want to see a Klose / Godfrey pairing, I think they are our best two CB's (said with a  heavy heart as I love Zim and thought he was fantastic.).

The timing of the operation is strange, as with other players in years gone by they normally get operated on as soon as the season is finished.

Which makes me think even this injury just happened or it’s only just been diagnosed as needing an operation 

6 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

The timing of the operation is strange, as with other players in years gone by they normally get operated on as soon as the season is finished.

Which makes me think even this injury just happened or it’s only just been diagnosed as needing an operation 

Would have had the operation as soon as the issue was identified.

Either testing when the players returned identified it, or he did it in the first few training sessions - which are usually endurance stuff and the most physically demanding. 

We know that Farke’s training methods are very tough and pre-seasons have seen quite high levels of injuries. Hopefully there won’t be (m)any more in the next few weeks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Either testing when the players returned identified it, or he did it in the first few training sessions - which are usually endurance stuff and the most physically demanding. 

We know that Farke’s training methods are very tough and pre-seasons have seen quite high levels of injuries. Hopefully there won’t be (m)any more in the next few weeks. 

According to the EDP it happened in the off-season. Would guess that the op was arranged as soon as possible.

40 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

According to the EDP it happened in the off-season. Would guess that the op was arranged as soon as possible.

Related image

• Like 1

Tough luck for him, but equally means we will have one of Klose or Hanley back in for the start of the season which could be an important thing as well with the experience they have

• Like 1

Successful clubs have squads to handle this kind of thing and that is just what we have – just look at the potential defensive combinations discussed on this thread, all of them valid and making for a great read here. Zimbo will not get a chance to go back in until he’s fully fit, meanwhile the changed line-up has to prove he cannot improve on their work and they may well do so. He took his chance last season, now it’s their turn to go for it. But in a tough season, mentally and physically, Daniel knows he’ll need to rotate more than last season to take some players out of the firing line from time to time, so having a refreshed, fit again, centre back hungry to return a couple of months in is no bad thing. And this depth extends all over the pitch, meaning that few in the squad will not be making a contribution at some point in a testing season and surely they know it, which is likely to be one reason why so many have agreed new contracts, knowing they all have a chance to stake a claim in the Prem. This really is a great time to be a supporter of our great club. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It says suffered the injury "off season", does that mean during pre season or when he was "on leave"?

Yes, thats what I had assumed.

A bit odd that he plays a whole season of tough games without any mishap and now during his R &R he tears his cartilage. 

Edited by Van wink

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Yes, thats what I had assumed.

A bit odd that he plays a whole season of tough games without any mishap and now during his R &R he tears his cartilage. 

Players will still have fitness routines they have to complete during the ‘off season’. There is no more going away and drinking/eating to excess anymore. 

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Players will still have fitness routines they have to complete during the ‘off season’. There is no more going away and drinking/eating to excess anymore. 

Yes, I guess the days of returning 5KG over weight have gone, cant help feeling a bit dissapointed that this has happened off season, but thats just sods law I suppose.

16 hours ago, Van wink said:

Yes, I guess the days of returning 5KG over weight have gone, cant help feeling a bit dissapointed that this has happened off season, but thats just sods law I suppose.

Yeh also very disappointing to hear he'll miss the whole of preseason - how many times is that voiced as the reason for a player never really kicking on during a season ☹️ 

Really feel for the big man who's not put a foot wrong since he's been here.

• Like 1