Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Defenders

We seem to be signing midfielders and strikers plus goalkeeper but no defenders ,would like to see one or more defenders sign to strengthen our defence ,especially if max goes .

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Imagine we'll sign a a backup right back but can't see us signing another central defender unless Hanley leaves.

This.

Also we have to remember that Hanley is homegrown. We don't have many spaces left in the squad for non-homegrown players so we have to be very careful about that should we let him go.

• Like 1

Agreed with the above responses. We need a right back - either an older head willing to play second fiddle but able when (if) called upon or another with potential to eventually take over from Max when the inevitable happens and he outgrows us. Other than that, no defenders required. We NEED a CDM & RB and would like a LW & ST, but not as essential (all in that order of importance in my opinion).

4 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Agreed with the above responses. We need a right back - either an older head willing to play second fiddle but able when (if) called upon or another with potential to eventually take over from Max when the inevitable happens and he outgrows us. Other than that, no defenders required. We NEED a CDM & RB and would like a LW & ST, but not as essential (all in that order of importance in my opinion).

Not sure a striker is needed if Idah is moving to the first team. As for wingers, Norwich have Buendia, Hernandez and Roberts and Cantwell can play wide. While another might be useful, I’m not sure it would be a top priority. 

Defensive midfielder is the only position I’d be unhappy if an ‘upgrade’ wasn’t brought in now. 

A few more players who could have an impact from the bench would be good, but non-essential. 

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not sure a striker is needed if Idah is moving to the first team. As for wingers, Norwich have Buendia, Hernandez and Roberts and Cantwell can play wide. While another might be useful, I’m not sure it would be a top priority. 

Defensive midfielder is the only position I’d be unhappy if an ‘upgrade’ wasn’t brought in now. 

A few more players who could have an impact from the bench would be good, but non-essential. 

Agree entirely. I feel we NEED a CDM and RB. I would LIKE a LW and ST but I'm not worried if we don't get one or either and they are certainly not top priority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This.

Also we have to remember that Hanley is homegrown. We don't have many spaces left in the squad for non-homegrown players so we have to be very careful about that should we let him go.

I make it one spot left for a non-homegrown player, two if Srbeny isn't included or is sold.

If Hanley does get moved on, it will leave us with only three home-grown players - Krul, Thompson & Roberts - in our 25-man squad, or 19-man squad as it would be then. Which isn't ideal.

Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis and Cantwell would all be classed as under-21 players, I believe, as born after 1 Jan 1998.

1 hour ago, Legend Iwan said:

I make it one spot left for a non-homegrown player, two if Srbeny isn't included or is sold.

If Hanley does get moved on, it will leave us with only three home-grown players - Krul, Thompson & Roberts - in our 25-man squad, or 19-man squad as it would be then. Which isn't ideal.

Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis and Cantwell would all be classed as under-21 players, I believe, as born after 1 Jan 1998.

Got to have 8 homegrown players out of a squad of 25 so we'd be in real trouble by that logic!

I think all of those others you mentioned do count as homegrown, rather than Under 21, but I could be wrong.

Plus, Hanley is staying. They said as much recently.

Edited by BobLoz3

Not scare mongering but this is my biggest concern, minus the DM position, the centre backs. I appreciate we cant afford Virgil Van Djik (remember when we were linked with him) but going in with an unproven Godfrey and Zimmermann with an ageing and slightly injury prone Klose does not fill me with great confidence.

Having said that, Ryan Bennett at Wolves was useless for us but with the right coaching was really decent for them so that logic lends itself to the above and even Hanley, though you have to say for all the will and togetherness in the world can't stop a ball from going in the back of the net if you're central defence is unproven and we did notch up quite a few conceded last season without dragging out that long winded argument again.

Let's just say it's likely to be a massive learning curve for our darlings.

Which highlights the absolute need for a decent DM, i'm still reluctant about Trybull being enforcer enough and Tettey having it in him but there we go. Not too much of a grumble but for me that represents what I deem our achilles heel.

We have a pretty packed midfield but only Trybull and Tettey for the CDM role. I suppose the question is can we easily upgrade on them this season - and will it be a significant enough upgrade to make it worth packing the midfield numbers with another body?

15 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Got to have 8 homegrown players out of a squad of 25 so we'd be in real trouble by that logic!

I think all of those others you mentioned do count as homegrown, rather than Under 21, but I could be wrong.

There is no minimum to the number of home grown players you have to have.  In theory a team can have zero home grown players in their squad.

What isn’t allowed is having more than 17 non-homegrown players over the age of 21. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

You only need 8 homegrown players if you have a full 25-man squad. As mentioned above, we don't - it's currently 20 including Hanley. We have four homegrown players, which is 'fine' as long as we keep our named squad to a maximum of 21 players, i.e. leaving space for four more homegrown in theory. The rules simply stipulate you can have no more than 17 non-homegrown players.

And the club aren't going to come out and ruin their bargaining position by saying they're interested in selling Hanley. They have no desperation to do it, but if the opportunity comes along they may well send him on his way.

• Like 1

Cheers for clearing that up fellas. I was getting in a bit of a muddle with that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Ryan Bennett at Wolves was useless for us

No he wasn’t.

under valued here and whilst I didn’t expect him to become a mainstay in a decent PL side (will be interesting to see what happens this season), he always looked like a good player that never got the chances here he deserved

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

No he wasn’t.

under valued here and whilst I didn’t expect him to become a mainstay in a decent PL side (will be interesting to see what happens this season), he always looked like a good player that never got the chances here he deserved

I dunno, I thought he was moving downhill fast while he was here. Was a captain of Grimsby aged 19, signed for good money from Peterborough, but never really seemed to perform consistently enough. A lot of the stick he was getting towards the end of his time with us was relatively justifiable from what I was watching. Sometimes a change of scenery, different coaches and philosophies, can make a big difference to a player's momentum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I dunno, I thought he was moving downhill fast while he was here. Was a captain of Grimsby aged 19, signed for good money from Peterborough, but never really seemed to perform consistently enough. A lot of the stick he was getting towards the end of his time with us was relatively justifiable from what I was watching. Sometimes a change of scenery, different coaches and philosophies, can make a big difference to a player's momentum.

Agree Wolfo, RB was very promising when he arrived , did well initially, then , for some reason started to look clunky, then does well at Wolves. Funny that this is exactly the kind of player we've targeted the last couple of years( apart from youngsters).

I mean, he was partnering Russ and Bassong in the Prem when we went up too soon so I guess it's not really a fair yardstick to measure him by but it didn't really look like he was at the races except that excellent push on Sanchez into the camera pit.

He's still at Wolves right (?) so there was a player in there somewhere, probably just mismanaged by AN. When you imagine that line up back then it gives me shivers just thinking about it.

17 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Also not having to play next to Russell Martin all the time might have helped.

• Like 1

Didn’t have the best relationship with the crowd here which didn’t help, his attitude seems to generally be better at Wolves, and his performances on the pitch have reflected that

3 hours ago, AJ said:

Didn’t have the best relationship with the crowd here which didn’t help, his attitude seems to generally be better at Wolves, and his performances on the pitch have reflected that

He got a lot of stick from people who couldn't accept that Martin was poor so decided it was all Bennetts fault.

There is another possibility for strengthening the DM position. If we were to play three at the back, Godfrey could be one CB when we don't have the ball, but move forward into the DM position when we do. At the same time the CM, say Leitner or Vrancic, could move forward to support the attack. When the ball is lost, Godfrey drops back to his CB position and Leitner or Vrancic drops back to CM. The effect is a stronger defence when we don't have the ball and a four player attack when we do.

Going into a gruelling Farke preseason schedule with only 3 fit centre backs is a worry for me. I would like to see an experienced player brought in for competition, someone from Europe probably 32-34 who would be happy with a 1-2 year contract and wouldn't expect to start every game. They would have to be good with the ball at their feet and physical enough for the PL, I can't think of anyone, over to you Mr.Webber

30 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Going into a gruelling Farke preseason schedule with only 3 fit centre backs is a worry for me. I would like to see an experienced player brought in for competition, someone from Europe probably 32-34 who would be happy with a 1-2 year contract and wouldn't expect to start every game. They would have to be good with the ball at their feet and physical enough for the PL, I can't think of anyone, over to you Mr.Webber

We're close the limit on non-homegrown players. We only have one space left, although I'd expect that to become two as I can't see Srbeny staying. We may need those two for more important positions (defensive midfielder and right back).

23 hours ago, king canary said:

He got a lot of stick from people who couldn't accept that Martin was poor so decided it was all Bennetts fault.

Not an unfair assessment really. The whole back line was under a lot of scrutiny until someone finally had the balls to drop Russ. Love the guy to pieces for what he did for us but his form dipped to beyond awful in that period

2 hours ago, AJ said:

Not an unfair assessment really. The whole back line was under a lot of scrutiny until someone finally had the balls to drop Russ. Love the guy to pieces for what he did for us but his form dipped to beyond awful in that period

In my opinion he was never really a centre back. His positioning was poor but his pace used to bail him out. The older he got, the slower he got and the more his poor positioning got exposed.

It's not really an argument, I agree entirely with what King is saying! Always a RB in my eyes

• Like 1

I agree that you are not disagreeing, but I am tempted not to agree. Before too long others will be agreeing with my disagreement and then those who agree with the original post will have to join in agreeing. Let's not go there!