Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Will Villa be the new Fulham?

1 hour ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

True Fährmann did cost us €3m, but that's a tenth of what Villa are paying out.

Good point Seventy Two-o , We would have had to spend at least 20 Mill maybe more to get someone of Fahrmanns quality on a permanent , say 4 or 5 year deal. 

Villa are trying to buy Premiership survival. It might work but there will be trouble ahead if it doesn't.

23 hours ago, Big O said:

I would have thought the person who may ultimately pay for the spending spree is Dean Smith. A really good manager but will be under huge pressure if villa get off to a bad start and even though, as some have pointed out, they have kept a degree of continuity they have lost Abraham’s goals.

I tend to agree with this. The danger for Villa is that they make a bad start and the owner thinks he's not getting his money's worth for his investment, loses patience etc. This is where the real danger for Villa lies as in this scenario, you often end up with a manager who wants to play in a different way/ doesn't "fancy" the players and things just deteriorate from here. This is what happened with Fulham last year and in other similar examples.

This is the real strength of the Director of Football model when it is properly applied. Even if we had the money to spend, under our model, we would presumably recruit a players who fit "our style." If our manager leaves, for whatever reason, a new manager, would have to commit to a similar style and to using the players that we had recruited. 

Villa, and countless other clubs before them, have a history of spending big on players who successor managers don't rate. It's how clubs end up in real trouble.

By all accounts, Villa were really classy to City when we played them at the end of the season, so I hope that they do stay up and that it works out for them (as long as they are below us of course!).

• Like 2

I'm just back from two weeks in Spain. Three doors away are a family who support Villa, we've seen them every year we've been away.

The man of the house took on an air of arrogance bordering on twattery this year, saying how well off the Villa owners were and they'd finish in the top 10. The only thing he didn't want to talk about was when I asked him if he thought they'd beat us next season...

Arrogant twonk.