Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

One club, one team

Just listening to radio 5, talking about the future of women's football following the world cup. The comment "one club, one team" was made in respect to how clubs such as Man City are approaching women's football ie to try to integrate as much as possible with the men's game.

It seems that there is a big potential in women's football, and I must confess to being out of the loop in terms of what Norwich are doing. Does anyone know? I'd like to think Norwich will have the one club, one team mindset also, and in the same way that we are investing in the u23s for the future, also invest in the women's game.

Would be really interesting to hear from anyone who is close to the women's game in Norwich.

Manchester City own at least 3 other football Teams as far as I'm aware. Nothing we are doing compares with them, it's almost a different sport and for Radio 5 to use Man City's business model as the way forward is irresponsible journalism in my book. 

FWIW, if every Club ran a Womans Team, Man City would buy all the best players and win that too.

11 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

There is a Norwich ladies team but I’m not sure how close the links are with NCFC

I am afraid i cannot find any photos FF. 😜

• Like 1

It’s women’s football, not ladies’. Do we talk about the gentlemen who play for NCFC?

21 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It’s women’s football, not ladies’. Do we talk about the gentlemen who play for NCFC?

Based on most of what I read on here, I'm not too sure there are any gentlemen in Norwich😉😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

There is a Norwich ladies team but I’m not sure how close the links are with NCFC

I remember that there was a link a number of years ago but it stopped being funded by the club, the problem they had at that time is that there weren't that many women teams and it wasn't a great standard and all the other teams were either northern based or London so logistically it didn't work. 

Now the poor team down the road have one (maybe that's where all the money went). 

Having said that I know that the better ones now travel elsewhere to play, one is at Man Utd and another has now joined West Ham because the development and opportunities are not at NCFC. 

We should avoid women's football like the plague. There have been constant references to equal pay during the world cup and it's a hot topic in America. In this country the average attendance at a womans Premier League game is less than 1,000 and I  have no desire to see my money spent on promoting a team that couldn't compete with a Norfolk Sunday League 6 side

• Like 1

It is a game in its own right.

Comparisons are wasted in reality.

If people find some enjoyment from watching women's football then good for them.

From what I saw of the WC, it is not something I would contribute financially to.

As said before, its like Benny Hill being the lead in the Deer Hunter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

We should avoid women's football like the plague. There have been constant references to equal pay during the world cup and it's a hot topic in America. In this country the average attendance at a womans Premier League game is less than 1,000 and I  have no desire to see my money spent on promoting a team that couldn't compete with a Norfolk Sunday League 6 side

Inclusivity at its finest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Inclusivity at its finest.

He's right though isn't he? I have as much desire to watch it as I do a Norwich Utd game - zero. I don't think anyone genuinely disagrees with the fundamental of women playing football, just many people have little interest and until it is equally as big of a draw to the crowds, any suggestion of equal pay is plain stupid.

3 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

He's right though isn't he? I have as much desire to watch it as I do a Norwich Utd game - zero. I don't think anyone genuinely disagrees with the fundamental of women playing football, just many people have little interest and until it is equally as big of a draw to the crowds, any suggestion of equal pay is plain stupid.

The equal pay thing is only in America and for the money the USA National Team give their women and men’s teams. 

The USA women’s team is the best in the world, win tournaments etc. The USA Women’s team has bigger TV audiences, the players have higher profiles than most on the male players and draw in bigger sponsorship deals - yet the men’s team receive larger payments from the USA National Association. That is the basis for the case  

There isn’t an argument that an amateur women’s team like Norwich LFC should have equal pay to the men’s team.    

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The equal pay thing is only in America and for the money the USA National Team give their women and men’s teams. 

The USA women’s team is the best in the world, win tournaments etc. The USA Women’s team has bigger TV audiences, the players have higher profiles than most on the male players and draw in bigger sponsorship deals - yet the men’s team receive larger payments from the USA National Association. That is the basis for the case  

There isn’t an argument that an amateur women’s team like Norwich LFC should have equal pay to the men’s team.    

Fair enough, I did not know any of this. With these parameters, then it makes sense for the American womens team to get paid more than the American mens team, not equal. It should be purely based around the audience / profile / draw, not the gender.  I still wouldn't watch it though!

31 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

In your opinion he's right, because you don't like women's football. I'm not for a minute arguing that women should be paid equally to men across the board, that's just plain daft. Of course it has to be proportionate to interest and income levels.

Personally I see no harm whatsoever in investing a small amount of money in using our already fantastic facilities to nurture female talent and improve the quality of our women's team. It's just another way to expand our 'brand' and encourage more people, especially women and children, into our wonderful club.

I used to be quite disparaging about women's football, but it really is improving at a rate of knots. The USA-Thailand mismatch aside, the standard at this World Cup has been much better than the last, and it's great to see. I'd love to see our women's team being able to compete at the top table alongside the men's team.

27 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Isn't there a local (Aylsham?) lady who plays for Man City?

I believe you are talking about Lauren Hemp, she is from North Walsham.

The pathway in Norfolk isn't great. The FA regionalised their Advanced Coaching centres, and believe the closest one to us is Suffolk. CSF run RDP sessions for girls football and we have a lot of clubs growing locally with girls teams and Wildcats centres. There's a bit more info on the pathway here... image.thumb.png.7538ef2cdbb1c835afaa11868f51c6bc.png

NCFC Ladies, are linked - but I believe more through CSF than the club. 

Edited by Browno
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

In your opinion he's right, because you don't like women's football. I'm not for a minute arguing that women should be paid equally to men across the board, that's just plain daft. Of course it has to be proportionate to interest and income levels.

Personally I see no harm whatsoever in investing a small amount of money in using our already fantastic facilities to nurture female talent and improve the quality of our women's team. It's just another way to expand our 'brand' and encourage more people, especially women and children, into our wonderful club.

I used to be quite disparaging about women's football, but it really is improving at a rate of knots. The USA-Thailand mismatch aside, the standard at this World Cup has been much better than the last, and it's great to see. I'd love to see our women's team being able to compete at the top table alongside the men's team.

You say it's plain daft but women have been paid the same as men in tennis for some time, despite the fact that the world number 1 admits she can't get even a game off the 600th ranked man who she trains with. And they only play 3 sets and can't raise anywhere near the sponsorship money that is available for men. 

If equal pay comes in America it will be a problem here as well, particularly with the BBC fighting the womens corner for them. 

Someone above has commented that I'm not being inclusive. Why on earth should I be? The standard of play in the womens game is laughable and I can see no reason why I should pay for it. I don't want my club wasting money and resources on it. 

20 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You say it's plain daft but women have been paid the same as men in tennis for some time, despite the fact that the world number 1 admits she can't get even a game off the 600th ranked man who she trains with. And they only play 3 sets and can't raise anywhere near the sponsorship money that is available for men. 

If equal pay comes in America it will be a problem here as well, particularly with the BBC fighting the womens corner for them. 

Someone above has commented that I'm not being inclusive. Why on earth should I be? The standard of play in the womens game is laughable and I can see no reason why I should pay for it. I don't want my club wasting money and resources on it. 

That was me. You are of course entitled to that opinion, but I disagree strongly that the standard of play is 'laughable'. Doubt we'll find much common ground on this subject, so I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Surely you can see, though, how a Norwich ladies' team that could compete at the highest level of the women's game could bring the next generation of fans through to the club? Women's football is (still, I believe) the fastest-growing sport in the world, so there's a chance it could actually be financially beneficial rather than burdensome to ride on the coattails of that growth.

I met a girl at a friends party who played for Norwich women's team and now she's assistant coach at Ipswich's women's team.

Cool story hey?

My point is, that Ipswich seem to have a better set-up than us with at least one thing and that's their women's team.

it maybe down to a Norwich women's team made up of local women,

or a professional Norwich women's team made up of the 'best' that can be afforded

the game has still to be proven to be self sustaining, or yet to address the thorny question of having male officials (ref, lino)

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Isn't there a local (Aylsham?) lady who plays for Man City?

North Walsham, Lauren Hemp scored the third goal in the Cup Final after coming  on as a sub

6 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

As said before, its like Benny Hill being the lead in the Deer Hunter.

Now renamed by deed poll to Benny Till. 

Cut to closing scene of ageing policeman chasing scantily clad young ladies round the internet.

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Now renamed by deed poll to Benny Till. 

Cut to closing scene of ageing policeman chasing scantily clad young ladies round the internet.

image.png.e84e41adbe102f838ec7aef8fd0273f4.png

14 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

The women in these teams tend to be flat-chested so I don't see the point in watching to be honest.

Did you escape from the dinosaur park in Weston Longville?

29 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

image.png.e84e41adbe102f838ec7aef8fd0273f4.png

One of my favourite pastimes , a spot of angling, which i do in real life , not on the internet. Like my interaction with women, its real, not digital. Nice picture though Benny, very thoughtful and amusing. Thankyou.