Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Local Knowledge required

After not having had a holiday for about 6 years, my wife surprised me today by saying she would consider a short Butlins/Haven type holiday for around 4 days. Her sister is on one of these £9 Sun holidays at the moment, and so this changed her mind.

She surprised me even further by suggesting Norfolk, as I am always saying what a lovely part of the country it is.

Truth is, as an adult I have only ever been to Norfolk twice, though I lived for a year in Lincolnshire and thought there were some similarities, based on my brief experiences of Norfolk.

When I was a kid, I got taken on boating holidays on the Norfolk broads on a number of occasions. I have only happy memories of that, and to be honest, those holidays are probably why I support Norwich City.

Our main barrier to going on holiday has been kids. I have 4 young children (7, 6, 5 and 18 months). We tried going on holiday when we had just the one, to Mallorca, and it wasnt much fun, there wasnt much we could do and at times we fell out. Going abroad seems costly and unnecessary, as our passports have expired, so we'd have to get 6 of those before we even considered flights and hotels.

My kids are very boistrous and can get fed up easily, but I think they'd like somewhere you could walk along a sandy beach, perhaps paddle in the sea, maybe rock pools. They would love penny amusments or any where with some rides. I love the Norfolk broads, but I dont know if this is something you can really do if you're not in a boat.

So does anyone have any recommendations for places/holidays in Norfolk?

As a non-Norfolker (?) I have always had a massive soft spot for the Cromer/Sherigham stretch. Nice little towns, good beaches, food and plenty nearby to go and have a look at like Muckleburgh or Blakeney, tire the kids out by making them run up the Beeston Bump, and the odd amusement arcade to keep them occupied. Neither are as loud or leary as Yarmouth, but that is the charm of them.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2019 at 17:05, The Great Mass Debater said:

but I think they'd like somewhere you could walk along a sandy beach, perhaps paddle in the sea, maybe rock pools.

Between Cromer and Sheringham is the best for this. West Runton has brilliant rock-pooling but you need to check the tide. At high tide there is very little beach, but when the sea goes out you've got acres of beach brilliant for ball games and next to it is a beach full of rocks where you'd be unlucky not to find several crabs. East Runton a bit further along is brilliant as the sea stays relatively shallow for a good few metres, which is not only good for kids but it also means it tends to be slightly warmer. I was there on Saturday evening and rued not taking my swimming stuff because it was a beautiful temperature. You also have the advantage of Will's Plaice chip shop. It's got reasonably sporadic opening times but when people start raising the MJs or No 1 battle of the Cromer chip shop debate, I just shake my head and leave them to it because Will's Plaice rules.

If the sea and the sand are enough to keep your kids entertained, there are plenty of caravan sites right on the coast. You can often get a decent Air BnB from a private owner. I know someone who stayed for a week in Gap Caravan Park, which is right on the cliff edge overlooking East Runton beach, for five nights for £350.00 in the summer. The trouble is at these sites there is very little to do. Some will have a little play area, but don't get any preconceptions that they are like mini Havens. You get a shop and if you're lucky, a hall that has "entertainment" in the evenings.

If it's Haven that you want you've an option of four and they have a lot more to keep your kids entertained. Their activities are fairly priced, way cheaper than Center Parcs. I think the best one is Wild Duck personally, but you cannot walk to the beach or sea from there. The Hopton has Pleasurewood Hills nearby and the other two, Caister and Yarmouth, are unsurprisingly close to the Caister and Yarmouth, which will give you all the 2ps and arcades you need.

You can hire a boat for an hour or two on the Broads; Wroxham would be your best port of call for that but you'd have to stay away from Broads Tours, the biggest one, because they have a policy of insisting on a 1 to 1 ratio of adults to children. We used Wroxham Boat Hire which will lend you one for £20 an hour. Quite pricey but worth it just for a taster and they will let all six of you in the same boat.

If you've got a car, my recommendation would be one of the caravan sites between Cromer and Sheringham. The beaches are staggering, there are plenty of decent walks, Cromer (and Sheringham, but Cromer is vastly superior) has your 2p machines, mini boating lakes, mini fun fair amenities. It's a bit pricey, and a couple of miles inland, but Kelling Heath comes close to a Haven for what it offers. It has a heated outdoor pool and some decent play areas and if you or your kids are into their trains the North Norfolk Railway runs alongside it so you can wander down through the woods to the train track and watch some old school trains go past (this also has a station in Sheringham, so you can see it here too).

I've waffled a bit but that's only because I absolutely f*cking love this county.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Between Cromer and Sheringham is the best for this. West Runton has brilliant rock-pooling but you need to check the tide. At high tide there is very little beach, but when the sea goes out you've got acres of beach brilliant for ball games and next to it is a beach full of rocks where you'd be unlucky not to find several crabs. East Runton a bit further along is brilliant as the sea stays relatively shallow for a good few metres, which is not only good for kids but it also means it tends to be slightly warmer. I was there on Saturday evening and rued not taking my swimming stuff because it was a beautiful temperature. You also have the advantage of Will's Plaice chip shop. It's got reasonably sporadic opening times but when people start raising the MJs or No 1 battle of the Cromer chip shop debate, I just shake my head and leave them to it because Will's Plaice rules.

If the sea and the sand are enough to keep your kids entertained, there are plenty of caravan sites right on the coast. You can often get a decent Air BnB from a private owner. I know someone who stayed for a week in Gap Caravan Park, which is right on the cliff edge overlooking East Runton beach, for five nights for £350.00 in the summer. The trouble is at these sites there is very little to do. Some will have a little play area, but don't get any preconceptions that they are like mini Havens. You get a shop and if you're lucky, a hall that has "entertainment" in the evenings.

If it's Haven that you want you've an option of four and they have a lot more to keep your kids entertained. Their activities are fairly priced, way cheaper than Center Parcs. I think the best one is Wild Duck personally, but you cannot walk to the beach or sea from there. The Hopton has Pleasurewood Hills nearby and the other two, Caister and Yarmouth, are unsurprisingly close to the Caister and Yarmouth, which will give you all the 2ps and arcades you need.

You can hire a boat for an hour or two on the Broads; Wroxham would be your best port of call for that but you'd have to stay away from Broads Tours, the biggest one, because they have a policy of insisting on a 1 to 1 ratio of adults to children. We used Wroxham Boat Hire which will lend you one for £20 an hour. Quite pricey but worth it just for a taster and they will let all six of you in the same boat.

If you've got a car, my recommendation would be one of the caravan sites between Cromer and Sheringham. The beaches are staggering, there are plenty of decent walks, Cromer (and Sheringham, but Cromer is vastly superior) has your 2p machines, mini boating lakes, mini fun fair amenities. It's a bit pricey, and a couple of miles inland, but Kelling Heath comes close to a Haven for what it offers. It has a heated outdoor pool and some decent play areas and if you or your kids are into their trains the North Norfolk Railway runs alongside it so you can wander down through the woods to the train track and watch some old school trains go past (this also has a station in Sheringham, so you can see it here too).

I've waffled a bit but that's only because I absolutely f*cking love this county.

Waffle very much appreciated!

Ti's marvelous. Mundesley beach. Sheringham in the autumn sunshine. Still quite busy. 

One question. How the hell do you pronounce Happisburgh? 😀

hays-bru

Mundesley is great. I occasionally knock off work at four during the summer and head up their with the family. Picnic on the green above the cliffs (keep the sand out of your sandwiches!) and then head down to the beach until the sun disappears behind you. The shop on the beach has absolutely everything you could need.

Cheers Dan. Thought it was something like that. 

It is a custom now for me to have fish and chips looking out to see. Sat in that park, eating and watching some loon learning to surf.

Good pub on the top as well.