Bradley Johnson has just been released by Derby "City" and has moved to Blackburn Rovers on a two year deal.

I suppose it's an age thing as he seemed to have become a fixture in the Derby squad after a bit of a disappointing start.

£6m fee plus a decent enough wage to lure him away from Carrow Road (or was he pushed?) for four years service then.Is that considered a decent return nowadays? Probably although not for Derby County as they remain a Championship fixture.

Never the most cultured of performers and how we laughed at that fee, but of  the many more celebrated midfielders who have moved on in recent years, such as Snodgrass, Fer and even Howson, Johnson was the one player who I have often wanted back more during some of the worst periods since he left. 

I'm a bit surprised that Lambert didn't snap him up again. Or not,  as1p5swich couldn't even afford the wages of a 32 years old journeyman I guess.

Apparently he first came to Norfolk as the top man in a motorcycle pyramid act. As far as the Rams go then it's once again a case of 'on yer bike Bradley.' 

• Like 1

He moved to Blackburn on a free which is a great bit of business even at 32. Looks like Elliott Bennett is pleased 

At the time £6m looked good business, but it seemed to be forgotten how many key goals he was able to score by arriving late and score with a shot from the edge of the box ("who put the ball in the 1p5wich net ?").   We missed those goals the following season in the Prem and sometimes we missed his more combative approach as well.  I am still unconvinced that it was better to sell him and have the £6m, but Alex Neil was always more interested in signing attacking midfielders...

I'm not surprised he's moved to another Champs club, don't think he'd need to move to a lower league side...

I think he was shipped out pretty quickly for non-footballing reasons in the end if rumours are to be believed, but even from a footballing sense, £6m was good business. OK, he was brilliant in 14/15, but I don't think he was ever good enough to hold down a regular place in the Premier League either as a central midfielder or on the left. 

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think he was shipped out pretty quickly for non-footballing reasons in the end if rumours are to be believed, but even from a footballing sense, £6m was good business. OK, he was brilliant in 14/15, but I don't think he was ever good enough to hold down a regular place in the Premier League either as a central midfielder or on the left. 

There was a sense we lost a lot in terms of dressing room character when he left. I think at times we missed someone who'd bed in and scrap a bit in the midfield.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

There was a sense we lost a lot in terms of dressing room character when he left. I think at times we missed someone who'd bed in and scrap a bit in the midfield.

But if, IF, rumours are to be believed then he had already caused serious damage to squad harmony and needed to be shipped out to salvage it.

Got it at the time. Had Jarvis not been injured his whole career here it would have been different.

Thankfully it seems that this regime really do place attitude and work rate as highly as they do ability.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But if, IF, rumours are to be believed then he had already caused serious damage to squad harmony and needed to be shipped out to salvage it.

Don't know about these rumours- what we're they?

Edited by king canary

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Supposedly banged Grabban's missus.

Up there with Shackell/Ashton rumour for me.

Oh yeah I do remember hearing about this- supposedly the reason Grabban forced his way out also.

Francis/McKenzie was the other big one I remember. 

I think it was the biggest mistake to move him on, he was a key player that season and we ended up with nowhere near as an effective midfield the following season. This might sound harsh, but if that rumour is true (and with the hindsight of Grabban went on to do by way of disruption) we picked the wrong person to send away. 

I think Blackburn could be playoff challengers for next year! 

5 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Supposedly banged Grabban's missus.

Up there with Shackell/Ashton rumour for me.

I suspect Grabban kept missing!

• Haha 2