Cantiaci Canary

Predictions for spending this window?

Evening all,

What do you forsee before the window closes?

1. Little money spent ... one or two c.£1-3m signings and a few more loans / freebies / kids signed up.

2. A 'big' signing costing a fair whack supplemented with a scattering of loans / freebies / kids.

3. Two/three/four c.£5m signings and a freebie here or there.

4. A mega signing.

5. None of the above!

Edited by Cantiaci Canary

If we can keep the core of the team and our youngsters, it’s worth a couple 30 million pound signings in my book.

We’ve signed a 26 year old full international striker for free and have a potential super forward in Idah, so I think our forwards are done, we’ve got a decent youngster on loan to cover Emil & Hernandez.

We could do with a couple decent defenders to push all positions at the back, so two good 5 million pound plus youngsters or decent loans at CB and left back would be good.

No point on chucking money chasing signings who don’t want to be here, much rather see what we have in now.

This new recruitment is the way forward, survive or go down, still the best for our great club.

49 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think option two. 

We'll probably spend 'big' on a defensive midfielder, tie up the Fährmann deal and sign a cheap right back. Then possibly another couple of cheap deals if Webber/Farke feel the need to add competition anywhere else.

Sorry, run out of likes, have this 👍

I don’t get the theory that you need to spend big or even that much.

So many teams over the years have changed their successful togetherness sides because all of a sudden there’s loads of money and so many of those end up coming back down again and lose those players.

We have a settled together group, they earned the right to play in the Premier League so why make lots of unnecessary costly purchases just because we can, Webber has said it many times, it’s about the right player who gets what we do, not expensive mercenaries who will walk in a season if we get relegated.

Of course we need to plug gaps but once the keeper comes in we’re good to go other than an extra right back and maybe a DM although I think in Trybull and Leitner we have 2 of the best centre midfields to have ever come up from the Championship and they deserve the right to play and I think they will both be key for us.

Provided the Schalke goalie is definite, I think we are only looking at a couple of positions, with CDM the priority. I'm guessing the situation is still fluid, given we need to find solutions to players such as Oliveira and Marshall, both of whom affect the budget.

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

We have a settled together group, they earned the right to play in the Premier League so why make lots of unnecessary costly purchases just because we can, Webber has said it many times, it’s about the right player who gets what we do, not expensive mercenaries who will walk in a season if we get relegated.

Of course we need to plug gaps but once the keeper comes in we’re good to go other than an extra right back and maybe a DM although I think in Trybull and Leitner we have 2 of the best centre midfields to have ever come up from the Championship and they deserve the right to play and I think they will both be key for us.

I'd like to agree with this, we'll see how many come on here, after a couple of hidings, and start bitching that we should have spent more money, what's Webber playing at? Farke's out of his depth etc. FWIW, I hope that it doesn't happen ..... we'll see.

Option 2 I think. If we get this keeper sorted via a (reasonably) cheap loan deal then you'd think there should be enough left to spend on a DM. 

1 minute ago, splendidrush said:

I'd like to agree with this, we'll see how many come on here, after a couple of hidings, and start bitching that we should have spent more money, what's Webber playing at? Farke's out of his depth etc. FWIW, I hope that it doesn't happen ..... we'll see.

I'm sure there will be many but I'd rather we stayed true to what we are than spend all of the money like Fulham and be no better off for it. 

I know it's negative but the club has financially plan for being relegated and being financially secure without the need to sell lots of players after 1 season is the right position to start from. 

If we stay up even better, then Plan B kicks in and the club should invest further. 

12 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I think most fans are sensible enough to know Webber doesn't control the budget. If we have a very poor season after not spending much then I think any rumbles of dissatisfaction would be aimed a bit higher (depending on how you view these things).

50 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Oh it'll happen! But we have to remember the kind of gubbins people were spewing out the first season with Farke in charge, then just look at how he adapted the season after to take us to the title. Quite amazing really and I do feel confident he can repeat the trick in the Prem (not winning the title, but at least a mid table ish finish).

I'm hoping that the majority of fans will stick by the team and Farke. I think the amount of goodwill and togetherness built up from last season is not to be underestimated! As such, if we play well in a game but lose by a goal or two I think we'll still get behind the team and roar them on to success for the next!

(Fingers crossed, hey?)

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 2

"Fingers crossed, hey?"

More fingers burned I feel.

Football fans might be fickle and indeed have short memories when faced with a run of bad results but I do feel that, as far as City fans go, the Naismith/Jarvis fiascos from recent times have left such a mark that I am inclined to think that most will tend to moderate their criticism of the way things/finances have been handled if we do end up on the wrong end of the scoreline for a spell.

Perhaps we are collectively more finance savvy these days after being faced with the doom and gloom predictions of just what would have been the future of the club if had been faced with a prolonged period of Championship mediocrity.

Farke will also be given a lot more slack than previous managers I sense. He would seem to have a head start on the goodwill stakes to begin with in any case.

• Like 2

The fans were generally happy to stick with Alex Neil last time we were relegated (a few murmurs of discontent, but hardly wholesale anarchy), and the style of football we are employing now is vastly superior to that (coupled with a vastly superior financial model and some fantastic investment in youth, something which Neil pretty much refused to do).

I think the greatest danger will come not from from ire being directed at Farke and Webber, but rather the possibility of either or both being tempted by a bigger club. Enjoy them while you can, folks.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We said that about Neil and McNally.

Yes, we did. Feels a bit different this time, though, wouldn't you agree?

The only option is to buy what suits us. And I doubt that we will be spending large on even one player. We believe at the moment that we have a pretty decent squad. Probably good enough to beat the bottom six in last year's EPL.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, we did. Feels a bit different this time, though, wouldn't you agree?

From what I remember? No, not really. 

Alex Neil was a footballing genius in the summer of 2015. He could do no wrong, he was the new Messiah, he worked miracles etc. Everyone was worried about how if we had a good start then the big clubs would be after him, and we should enjoy him while we had him.

So what's happening now with Farke is little different to what we said about Neil four years ago. Let's not get carried away and forget that.

50 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

From what I remember? No, not really. 

Alex Neil was a footballing genius in the summer of 2015. He could do no wrong, he was the new Messiah, he worked miracles etc. Everyone was worried about how if we had a good start then the big clubs would be after him, and we should enjoy him while we had him.

So what's happening now with Farke is little different to what we said about Neil four years ago. Let's not get carried away and forget that.

Yeah, that's fair comment. I'm thinking more about the overall strategy/sustainability, right down to the youth investment, style of football and pathway to the first team; at the point Neil took us up, he'd only been here for six months, whereas we've had two years with a new head coach and sporting director to watch the project unfold. It feels different this time, and it feels better. I'm much more excited now than I ever was under Neil.

I can't see too much being spent, maybe one or two buys for up to £5m and then the rest will be frees, loans and youth players. The intention is clearly to stack the youth teams and build for the future so I cannot see us moving too far away from that.

For what it is worth I am more than happy with that as a plan, build for the future and actually look further ahead than the next transfer window.