Michael Starr

Ralf Fahrmann Medical

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Has it?

Someone posted it on here... maybe it wasn't the official account after all. In fact, judging by your question, I'm guessing it wasn't! 😉

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Someone posted it on here... maybe it wasn't the official account after all. In fact, judging by your question, I'm guessing it wasn't! 😉

Ha, I'd have been a bit surprised if it had, especially as the transfer isn't official yet.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Ha, I'd have been a bit surprised if it had, especially as the transfer isn't official yet.

And no one actually knows the details of the deal other than the key people at Schalke or NCFC.

3 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

And no one actually knows the details of the deal other than the key people at Schalke or NCFC.

And the player and his agent and a raft of other people involved in the deal. 

Things aren’t as secretive in Germany as they are in the UK. Clubs will often tell reporters about fees and wages in deals in open press conferences. 

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

And the player and his agent and a raft of other people involved in the deal. 

Things aren’t as secretive in Germany as they are in the UK. Clubs will often tell reporters about fees and wages in deals in open press conferences. 

I’d included the player and agent as key people at Schalke.

You seem to be the man in the know on contract stuff so is it 3m pounds or euros and what’s his weekly wage as so far we have seen anything between 30 and 60k?

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I’d included the player and agent as key people at Schalke.

You seem to be the man in the know on contract stuff so is it 3m pounds or euros and what’s his weekly wage as so far we have seen anything between 30 and 60k?

It’s Euros. 

I was told last night by a friend who is a Schalke reporter that he earned about €55k a week with Schalke last season. How much is basic wage and how much is bonuses is unclear. The club also have clauses to lower player wages if they aren’t in the Champions League, which Schalke aren’t this season - so it will be lower than the €55k whatever.

My educated guess would be somewhere between €40k - €50k. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

My educated guess would be somewhere between €40k - €50k. 

I think ALL our players will be on something like that with the new contracts.

Anything less and they'd all be wanting moves to Crystal Palace.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

I don't think you're far wrong. Let's assume 25 players on an average of £40k per week; that's £1m per week, or £52m over the year. Looking at the figures below from 2017-18, the lowest wage bill was Huddersfield with £63m; second lowest was Brighton with £78m. Big bucks now, even for squad players.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

3 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Unlikely. 

Last season, average wage at Huddersfield was about £25k a week. Cardiff was £20k. 

Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle and Watford were all on average £30k a week. 

This is the average of first time regulars, so not including youth players etc. 

While there may be some players around the £40k mark at Norwich - Pukki’s new deal will certainly put him up there - I would expect most players will be somewhere in the £20k - £30k mark. 

Hmmm for that price in wages they won't be just getting him in to warm the bench, they obviously want serious competition for the number 1 spot, perhaps that will bring the best out of Krul.

Personally Freeing up Oxbrough to be able to go out on loan is a master stroke, say Krul gets a Red at Anfield we have Fahrmann to come in and Mcgovern on the bench. Thats a logical set up, whilst someone as young as the Ox needs to be getting games and experience, perhaps ready to become next seasons number 2 or competition for 1. He will progress more playing and making mistake and learning in league 1 or 2 than sat on the bench.

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Unlikely. 

Last season, average wage at Huddersfield was about £25k a week. Cardiff was £20k. 

Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle and Watford were all on average £30k a week. 

This is the average of first time regulars, so not including youth players etc. 

While there may be some players around the £40k mark at Norwich - Pukki’s new deal will certainly put him up there - I would expect most players will be somewhere in the £20k - £30k mark. 

Looking at my post above, I'm guessing the wage bill isn't just players, but the entire workforce of the club - in which case your calculations are probably more accurate.

Tim Krul did not get this far by being afraid of competition. He has already fought for every step since he was 8 or 9. 

All players are, will be and always have been under pressure.

That SW/DF/The Club now send the message that they cannot completely allow him a monopoly position at Premier level is not some tacit behind-closed-doors threat, it is normal. No-one would have expected it more than Tim Krul. 

There are doubts about whether he is good enough to be a strong Premier player, as there is about Pukki, Aarons or the very Club itself. 

Some players will step up, some won’t. Some will make it on bloody-mindedness, some on ability alone and many on both. Wherever possible SW will amortise these risks, whilst providing as much ammunition to DF for today - and nevertheless factoring in players who will stay and be needed should we be immediately relegated, and so he should. 

Tim Krul will get his chance, though that might be 38 games or 45 minutes of the first game. So be it. It’s always been like that for Tim and everyone else.

Fans assuming their doubts about a player are unrecognised or inspired observation are deluding themselves. Everybody knows, including the player himself. It’s nothing to be afraid of, it drives you on, it’s how you got here and why you are where you are.

Parma

• Like 3

Regardless of wages, absolutely no way anyone gets guaranteed a place in this team.... The transparency of the clubs philosophy was clear last year and it worked.     They look after the whole squad on a fair basis.    If they deserve the shirt (in DF's opinion) then they play.     

That will apply for Krul and Fahrmann just like it did for McLean and Leitner or Godfrey and Klose.     No way they will guarantee this guy a place...although they may expect him to get it if he's that good. 

In the case of the goalkeeper, this is our one weak area and if we only do this business from hear on in.... it's enough to ensure we're competitive.      If TK steps up as a result of the competition and does the business, all well and good.    If not, we will have good quality cover and that's crucial. 

Clear we do things very differently to everyone else, it's a breath of fresh air, an agents nightmare!   

What I like about this Fahrmann move is the sheer ruthlessness of it. Webber has often been (over-) praised for his seemingly brutally honest - but often very self-serving - comments. I pay more attention to actions, and this qualifies as a really brutal one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

What I like about this Fahrmann move is the sheer ruthlessness of it. Webber has often been (over-) praised for his seemingly brutally honest - but often very self-serving - comments. I pay more attention to actions, and this qualifies as a really brutal one.

If there's one thing he refuses to be sentimental over, it's goalkeepers. Those talk Norwich fellas still probably havent forgiven him for Remi Matthews

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Why do you think it is so brutal? I think it was widely recognised that McGovern is not going to give Krul enough competition, so I am not surprised to see another quality keeper coming in (on loan) to fight for the number one shirt.

If you're suggesting it's brutal in that Webber doesn't think Krul has enough quality, and sees Fahrmann basically as an instant replacement, I don't understand why Krul was rewarded with a new three-year contract last month?

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

Why do you think it is so brutal? I think it was widely recognised that McGovern is not going to give Krul enough competition, so I am not surprised to see another quality keeper coming in (on loan) to fight for the number one shirt.

If you're suggesting it's brutal in that Webber doesn't think Krul has enough quality, and sees Fahrmann basically as an instant replacement, I don't understand why Krul was rewarded with a new three-year contract last month?

I suspect Webber doesn’t think Krul is up to the job. Hence Fahrmann, assuming he arrives. Not sure about it being an instant replacement. Krul might be given the chance to fail. But if the reports of the financial side of the deal are anything like correct then I would say the assumption has to be that Fahrmann will take over, sooner or later.

Bear in mind, this is only a one-year loan deal. That doesn’t invalidate giving Krul three more years. It could be, for the sake of argument, that he ends up as the number two this season, and gets the job back next season, back in the Championship, with Fahrmann back in Germany.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

I suspect Webber doesn’t think Krul is up to the job. Hence Fahrmann, assuming he arrives. Not sure about it being an instant replacement. Krul might be given the chance to fail. But if the reports of the financial side of the deal are anything like correct then I would say the assumption has to be that Fahrmann will take over, sooner or later.

Bear in mind, this is only a one-year loan deal. That doesn’t invalidate giving Krul three more years. It could be, for the sake of argument, that he ends up as the number two this season, and gets the job back next season, back in the Championship, with Fahrmann back in Germany.

Yes, I don't necessarily disagree with any of that. However,  if Webber genuinely believes Krul is not good enough, he doesn't strike me as the kind of character to give him the chance to fail, especially given what is at stake for the club (and by extension Webber's career) this season. It also be feel it would be a strange move (and not particularly brutal) to give a 31-year old a new three-year contract at this stage of his career simply to keep him for the Championship in the event we get relegated.

If the Fahrmann move does happen, I see it more as something to provide genuine quality and competition in that spot, keeping both keepers focused and firing on all cylinders. I have no doubt that Fahrmann will have a fair chance at claiming the shirt. Considering that injuries will doubtless happen throughout the course of the season, particularly if we factor in Krul's injury record, it seems like a very decent bit of business.

• Like 1

This is professional sport at the top level and it's par for the course that any player can find the club has brought in another who's going to be competing for the starting position, or even favourite to take it at the start.  Almost no one is exempt from this sort of treatment.

Krul did well last year but did make mistakes so it's no surprise Webber has brought in someone to compete for that position.

I wouldn't view this as brutal, just hard-headed professional sports management.

And as has been said, if we get relegated, Fahrmann goes home with no further cost and Krul is back as first choice.

This can't happen, my Fantasy Football Team is called Krul and the Gang. That's much more important than strengthening the squad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Farke on Fahrmann: “It was important to bring another goalkeeper in and our target was always to bring in.

“It’s not only about their quality but also about the personality; we get the feeling he is a perfect fit”

Another one with the right attitude!

52 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

This can't happen, my Fantasy Football Team is called Krul and the Gang. That's much more important than strengthening the squad.

Rename to "life can be Krul" - quite fitting

• Haha 3

Great capture, playing champions league last season!

54 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Farke on Fahrmann: “It was important to bring another goalkeeper in and our target was always to bring in.

“It’s not only about their quality but also about the personality; we get the feeling he is a perfect fit”

Another one with the right attitude!

Should spare us a lecture from Lakey for tomorrow at least 😛😛

• Haha 1

What’s he like with the ball at his feet? Important what with the high press tactics in the Premier League. Even though we won’t have as much of the ball this year.