Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Contract conundrums

With so many new contracts being signed recently, I thought I'd collate them all.

Green dates mean that the contract has been signed since our promotion was confirmed (ie. they will be on a Premier League contract). Grey/italic players are players who are surplus to requirements or out on loan. An orange 'H' before the squad number denotes that the player is homegrown. Feel free to point our any oversights or inaccuracies, and I'll update it.

We've done well to tie down so many of our heroes to new Premier League contracts; of last season's squad, only Heise, Hanley, Tettey, Srbeny, Thompson, Lewis and Leitner are still on contracts agreed before we became an EPL club. 

GOALKEEPERS
21 Ralf Fahrmann (born 27.9.88, age 31): signed on loan until 2020 (contract signed in July 2019)
H 1 Tim Krul (born 3.4.88, age 31): signed until 2022 (contract signed in June 2019)
33 Michael McGovern (born 12.7.84, age 35): signed until 2021 (contract signed in April 2019)
H 38 Aston Oxborough (born 9.5.98, age 21): signed until 2020 
with club option to 2021 and on loan to Wealdstone until January 2020 (contract signed in April 2018)

DEFENDERS
H 2 Max Aarons (born 4.1.00, age 20): signed until 2024 (contract signed in July 2019)
H 3 Sam Byram (born 16.9.93, age 26): signed until 2023 (contract signed in July 2019)
6 Christoph Zimmermann (born 12.1.93, age 26): signed until 2023 with club option to 2024 (contract signed in July 2019)
H 4 Ben Godfrey (born 15.1.98, age 21): signed until 2023 (contract signed in June 2019)
15 Timm Klose (born 9.5.88, age 31): signed until 2022 (contract signed in May 2019)
16 Philip Heise (20.6.91, born age 28): signed until 2022 (contract signed in January 2019 and on loan with 1FC Nürnberg until summer 2020)
H 5 Grant Hanley (born 20.11.91, age 28): signed until 2023 (contract signed in November 2018)
H 12 Jamal Lewis (born 25.1.98, age 21): signed until 2023 (contract signed in October 2018)
Sean Raggett (born 25.1.94, age 25): signed until 2020 with club option to 2021 and on loan with Rotherham for 2019/20 (contract signed in August 2017)
James Husband (born 3.1.94, age 26): signed until 2020 and on loan with Blackpool for 2019/20 (contract signed in July 2017)

MIDFIELDERS
24 Ibrahim Amadou (born 6.4.93, age 26): signed on loan until 2020 (contract signed in August 2019)
Mario Vrancic (born 23.5.89, age 30): signed until 2021 (contract signed in July 2019)
19 Tom Trybull (born 9.3.93, age 26): signed until 2022 with club option to 2023 (contract signed in July 2019)
17 Emi Buendia (born 25.12.96, age 23): signed until 2024 (contract signed in July 2019)
H 14 Todd Cantwell (born 27.2.98, age 21): signed until 2022 (contract signed in July 2019)

23 Kenny McLean (born 8.1.92, age 28): signed until 2022 (contract signed in June 2019)
11 Onel Hernandez (born 1.2.93, age 26): signed until 2023 (contract signed in June 2019)
18 Marco Stiepermann (born 9.2.91, age 28): signed until 2022 (contract signed in May 2019)

H 34 Louis Thompson (born 19.12.94, age 25): signed until 2022 with club option to 2023 (contract signed in October 2018)
10 Moritz Leitner (born 8.12.92, age 27): signed until 2022 (contract signed in June 2018)
27 Alex Tettey (born 4.4.86, age 33): signed until 2020 (contract signed in May 2018)

FORWARDS
35 Adam Idah (born 11.2.01, age 18): signed until 2023 (contract signed in July 2019)
22 Teemu Pukki (born 29.3.90, age 29): signed until 2022 (contract signed in July 2019)
20 Josip Drmic (born 8.8.92, age 27): signed until 2022 (contract signed in June 2019)
H Carlton Morris (born 16.12.95, age 23): signed until 2021 and on loan with Rotherham for 2019/20 (contract signed in May 2019)

Finally, here are all the squad members listed by year of contract expiry, with (+1) indicating we have the option of an extra year:

2020 Fahrmann (loan), Oxborough (+1), Raggett (+1), Husband, Amadou (loan), Tettey
2021 McGovern, Vrancic, Morris
2022 Krul, Klose, Heise, Trybull (+1), Cantwell, McLean, Stiepermann, Thompson (+1), Leitner, Pukki, Drmic
2023 Byram, Zimmermann (+1), Godfrey, Hanley, Lewis, Hernandez, Idah
2024 Aarons, Buendia

Edited by Feedthewolf
Srbeny gone
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 9

Added Fahrmann to this, and also players who have been loaned out for the season ahead.

Thanks FTW, good stuff.

Shows how much forward planning Webber has been put into this. All the players who have done well have been tied down to long term contracts. Relatively few still to be moved on or waiting for their contracts to run down. The squad is well balanced with only a couple of areas needing to be added to. Just Marshall who is surpluss and on long terms. The guy is clearly on top of his job.

Just one thing I thought Vrancic signed a one year extension in June taking him to 2021?

8 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Thanks FTW, good stuff.

Shows how much forward planning Webber has been put into this. All the players who have done well have been tied down to long term contracts. Relatively few still to be moved on or waiting for their contracts to run down. The squad is well balanced with only a couple of areas needing to be added to. Just Marshall who is surpluss and on long terms. The guy is clearly on top of his job.

Just one thing I thought Vrancic signed a one year extension in June taking him to 2021?

I'll still feel more comfortable when the remaining players from last season sign improved deals. The contract length might not change, but I'm sure Zimbo, Max, Jamal, Mo, Tommy and Emi will be casting envious glances at their team-mates' new PL-standard contracts.

As for Mario, there was this article a couple of weeks ago, but I've seen nothing to confirm it has actually happened: https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-mario-vrancic-new-contract-agreed-1-6124465

I think I'm remembering Max signing an extension last October as you've set out, seems like no time at all !

Anyway, given at that point he was already in hot demand and promotion was clearly a possibility, I'd expect his contract included a substantial uplift on promotion e.g. the doubling on promotion & then going back down on relegation as was attributed to Webber.  As one of our players in the most demand I can't imagine he's on an inferior arrangement to others.

Edited by It's Character Forming

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

I think I'm remembering Max signing an extension last October as you've set out, seems like no time at all !

Anyway, given at that point he was already in hot demand and promotion was clearly a possibility, I'd expect his contract included a substantial uplift on promotion e.g. the doubling on promotion & then going back down on relegation as was attributed to Webber.  As one of our players in the most demand I can't imagine he's on an inferior arrangement to others.

Max and Jamal both signed new contracts last October, so maybe they did indeed have promotion increase clauses built into them. Maybe that's also the case with Leitner and Trybull's contracts? Would imagine Emi will sign a new one soon, as he's bound to be in huge demand once he starts heel-flicking his way to PL stardom.

EDIT: And surely Zimbo will be offered a new deal as team captain?

Edited by Feedthewolf

25 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Would imagine Emi will sign a new one soon, as he's bound to be in huge demand once he starts heel-flicking his way to PL stardom.

So looking forward to seeing Buendia in the Premiership. 👍

Yeah, makes sense.  I think in the interview which included the £20m cap on spending, Webber was careful to exclude from that number improvements to existing contracts some of which would be triggered automatically by promotion.  I think Emi's case has been strengthened by how flat we looked when he was suspended for 3 games, I can't imagine Webber being excessively tight in his case !

I'm not really concerned about anyone who's signed through to 2022, I think that's long enough to give the club security.  The only one who I'd really like to see signed up to a longer deal is Vrancic, I know he's 30 but his ability to create and score goals from distance and free kicks was key to getting promotion over the line and I'd be concerned if he's not on a contract going beyond 2020.

12 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

So looking forward to seeing Buendia in the Premiership. 👍

Me too, but I hope he's learnt from his red card last year and how he reacts when things don't go his way.  Prem players are far cleverer at getting players sent off, though perhaps VAR will improve that.

True, although in the Prem, creative players like Emi are meant to get more protection from refs than happened in the Champs when Emi was fouled a lot, and it was the frustration of seeing those repeated fouls go unpunished that let to him losing his head & making a wild challenge in that one game.  Be interesting to see how it pans out in the Prem.

More of a concern for me about Emi is him giving away fouls when defending in the area, due to being over-eager with his challenges.  That's an area he really needs to be more careful on next season.

• Like 2

Added squad numbers now, in case you're thinking of getting one of the players on the back of your awesome, super-sexy new shirt.

I think I'm going to go for:

MAYOR KENNY

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Suppose that's only Zim, Trybull and Vrancic left.

Possibly Leitner as well, although I guess it's possible that any of those players might have had a significant promotion raise clause built in to the contract they signed originally.

Max and Jamal signed long term contracts last season significantly prior to promotion unless wage hikes if promoted they will be on equivalent wages for 18 and 20 year olds and might be influenced by clubs offering wages as low as £10k per week.  Trust on contracts that we feel reflect their abilities as they are intrinsic to the way we play.

Emi signed up now sort one for Mario.

With something like 16/17 first team players on contracts of 3 or 4 years still to go, we can expect some significant sales or the route to the first team may be more difficult for the U23s who are no doubt being brought in believing / expecting that we will give youth a chance......

Hopefully, it will just intensify the competition but it's going to be some juggling act for Farke to keep so many happy and committed.  Whilst we have a couple of loans at present, we are clearly going to use the loan market to benefit our players development as opposed to us developing other clubs players.     

Have to applaud the club for its exceptional foresight and we're in a great position.   The future's Yellow!   OTBC

5 hours ago, pete said:

Max and Jamal signed long term contracts last season significantly prior to promotion unless wage hikes if promoted they will be on equivalent wages for 18 and 20 year olds and might be influenced by clubs offering wages as low as £10k per week.  

No way they are on 10k per week, the difference is that most 18 and 20 year old players aren't getting regular starts and are first choice in their positions at a Premier League Club. 

If I were Max Aarons and I was on 10k a week, I'd be a Palace player by now. 

16 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Suppose that's only Zim, Trybull and Vrancic left.

16 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Possibly Leitner as well

Both of those still have three years left so I'm not sure what the benefit would be of extending their deals at this time.

14 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

With something like 16/17 first team players on contracts of 3 or 4 years still to go, we can expect some significant sales or the route to the first team may be more difficult for the U23s who are no doubt being brought in believing / expecting that we will give youth a chance......

It just gives us more security when we sell them, basically. I expect Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis and Buendia to be sold for big money to bigger clubs before their contracts are up, and at the other end of the scale we could always ship out some fringe players for small fees should a younger player enter the first team picture.

32 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Both of those still have three years left so I'm not sure what the benefit would be of extending their deals at this time.

Webber has said that he likes to reward the players 'little and often' and that players/agents will never have to come knocking on his door in that regard. Safe to say if I was Zim, Trybull, Vrancic and Leitner's agent I would certainly be knocking. Don't think that will actually happen though as I'm pretty sure they'll already be being worked on.

Fair point, but with regards to the two I mentioned (but failed to clarify- Trybull and Leitner) I just don't really see why we'd benefit at the moment with them on long contracts anyway. 

Zimmermann and Vrancic are different because they don't have as long left and we should look to tie them down.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Fair point, but with regards to the two I mentioned (but failed to clarify- Trybull and Leitner) I just don't really see why we'd benefit at the moment with them on long contracts anyway. 

Zimmermann and Vrancic are different because they don't have as long left and we should look to tie them down.

From the club's perspective I agree about Trybull and Leitner, but if everyone else in the squad has a raise commensurate with PL football, I'd expect them to be requesting/demanding the same. With Vrancic still not signed up, I wouldn't be surprised to see Leitner given a new contract as our long-term plan for deep-lying playmaker.

Another one signs on the dotted line. With Zimbo signed up long-term, that now leaves (by my calculations) only nine of our current first-team squad who haven't signed upgraded contracts since promotion was confirmed: Aarons (reportedly on the verge of signing one), Lewis (no news yet), Vrancic (under discussion, a bit concerned why it hasn't been announced yet), Trybull (nothing yet), Leitner (nothing yet), plus Hanley, Heise, Tettey and Srbeny (who I doubt will be offered new terms at this stage).

So only Aarons, Lewis, Vrancic and Leitner to go now, by my calculations. Great work by the club.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

So only Aarons, Lewis, Vrancic and Leitner to go now, by my calculations. Great work by the club.

Superb work on the contracts recently, and only a handful left that could even POSSIBLY be extended.

But yes, these 4 would truly cap off some seriously impressive summer work from the club.

24 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Superb work on the contracts recently, and only a handful left that could even POSSIBLY be extended.

But yes, these 4 would truly cap off some seriously impressive summer work from the club.

I wouldn't be surprised if they all agreed their new contracts en masse before they went on holiday, but the club's PR department (or what's left of it!) have decided to space them out over the summer to keep us all engaged... 🙂

Contracts don’t mean much nowadays, if a offer comes in that works for the club and the player, they’ll be off

22 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Contracts don’t mean much nowadays, if a offer comes in that works for the club and the player, they’ll be off

That's the point though, the longer we have them signed up for, the higher the fee.

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Double edged sword though CK, if we don't extend/improve their contracts, we'll lose them anyway, probably for much less than they're worth. 

Cheers FTW, interesting overview , I feel Webber and the management have done a good job , getting key players to sign on... they're looking to the future and many of them will have at least 1 season of PL football under their belt come may... 

Means clubs will have to pay up if they want the player...👍