Sign in to follow this  
BobLoz3

Lank Frampard's Chelsea

Oh... Never saw that one coming... 🙄

I don't really care about it but it's quite an interesting appointment in that I can't really remember a time an ex 'legend' has gone back to a club as manager and it's worked out.

It's mainly to appease the fans, I think. They can't sign anyone because of the embargo so, and we've seen it before, get an ex player in who is highly thought of and hope that the fans have patience.

Thing is... This is Chelsea and... they won't.

I give him 10 games.

Good move by Chelsea. A club legend that the fans will support, even more so because he’s working under a transfer embargo. Still a good enough squad to challenge for top 4. Keeps the fans on side for a season at least. A good move from Lampard as expectation is relatively low and he’ll be able to bring youngsters through and experiment with his managerial style (didn’t work early at Derby but more down to the squad he had available and the nature of the championship)

Just now, Fiery Zac said:

Still a good enough squad to challenge for top 4

He had a good enough squad to challenge for the top 4 this season.

He managed a miserable 6th with one of the most heavily invested in Championship squads over the past three seasons.

My money would be on a repeat this time around, albeit with a different team in a tougher league.

At last a young English manager is given a chance at a big club and everybody is so negative. Hope he does well, except against us of course

From the Telegraph - really?

Lampard’s arrival should ensure Hudson-Odoi signs the new five-year contract Chelsea have offered him. Hudson-Odoi is not just Chelsea’s future, but also the club’s present and there is surely no better person to oversee his development than Lampard.

Don't mind Lanky Frampard......Can't stand Chelsea though.....Although, their pensioners seem a good bunch.....

13 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

At last a young English manager is given a chance at a big club and everybody is so negative. Hope he does well, except against us of course

You are choosing to miss the point here Lampard failed to improve Derby in his season there, and only did that well by renting some of the best young talent from the Prem. This may prove to be too early in his career to have such a big job, and may ultimately affect his career and not in a good way.

24 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

You are choosing to miss the point here Lampard failed to improve Derby in his season there, and only did that well by renting some of the best young talent from the Prem. This may prove to be too early in his career to have such a big job, and may ultimately affect his career and not in a good way.

True. But he may see it as no better time to go to such a big club. As I said, expectations will be low and he can continue to find his feet as a manager. It’s up to Chelsea whether they want the risk of taking on a manager who didn’t set the championship on fire, was very tactically naive, certainly pre Christmas, has no experience of managing top level players and will be using the club to learn as he goes.

Both Chelsea and Man U are in for tough seasons and both managed by club legends. Yet Lampards position imo looks far more promising for him and his career than the poisoned chalice facing Solskjaer. Man U need to start well, Lampard will be given time. The vast changes in the Man U squad will be expected to gel quickly whilst Chelsea will see it as a transition and patience will be shown. Expensive signings will be scrutinised and need to show immediate value, the youngsters and returning loan players will be applauded. Solskjaer has few excuses with money and time on his side, Lampard is inexperienced and in an impossible situation.

I like Lampard and think he’s made a good move. I hope it works out for him. He showed improvement as the season went on with Derby, however he’ll need that experience and knowledge to continue to gather momentum if he’s to succeed at Chelsea as fans patience will only go so far.

Edited by Fiery Zac

2 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Oh... Never saw that one coming... 🙄

I don't really care about it but it's quite an interesting appointment in that I can't really remember a time an ex 'legend' has gone back to a club as manager and it's worked out.

Dalgleish did okay with Liverpool, George Graham at Arsenal, I think that we discussed this a while back. Chelsea will fall away this season, a chance perhaps of Leicester or Wolves to break into the top six. 

I agree that the fans should cut him some slack but it won't happen. 

1 minute ago, splendidrush said:

Dalgleish did okay with Liverpool, George Graham at Arsenal, I think that we discussed this a while back. Chelsea will fall away this season, a chance perhaps of Leicester or Wolves to break into the top six. 

I agree that the fans should cut him some slack but it won't happen. 

Yes we did! After I'd written that I thought... "Oh yeah, mentioned this a while back and a few people changed my mind!" Might have been with regards to Ole at Man Utd.

Still, lots of examples where it hasn't worked out so well. But it's an interesting tactic by clubs to do this and bring back an ex legend, in some kind of attempt for fans to have patience. But, like I said, the Chelsea fans for the most part are a bunch of entitled ****wits and they will be booing like crazy after a few bad results.

They have a good squad of course, but are going to have to trust in youth a bit more this season by playing a few of the million players they sent out on loan last season.

• Like 1

A few Chelsea fans at work. Typical view being he’ll do well but if not,  it can’t really go wrong - a bad season with their squad apparently is winning just one major trophy.

Transfer ban similarly no problem.

Different world

He will have most of the fans with him even if they don't progress. But eventually, just like Gunny, legend or not, they will want to win something and not get left further behind Liverpool and City.

3 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Somebody said this last week and about 20 names were thrown at him.

Regarding Lampard, it's a free hit. If he does well, then he's taken charge and succeeded in difficult circumstances. If he fails, well, he had a transfer ban so his hands were tied: what could he do? He has nothing to lose.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

Good for Frank. Chelsea it's win / win, and their example with having a youth focussed new HC and this embargo may convince other clubs to start looking at their youth setups more rather than just buying whoever for silly money. I'm not saying it will but it might. Might create a more dynamic league.. which can only be a good thing.

8 hours ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Good for Frank. Chelsea it's win / win, and their example with having a youth focussed new HC and this embargo may convince other clubs to start looking at their youth setups more rather than just buying whoever for silly money. 

I can't see that happening, unless Frank wins the treble of course. 

14 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I didn’t choose to miss any point.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:28, canarydan23 said:

He managed a miserable 6th with one of the most heavily invested in Championship squads over the past three seasons.

This keeps on being repeated but is it true?

Last year they spent £10.8 million but received £13 million-net profit of £2.2 million. 17/18, they spent £11 million and received £18.5 million-net profit of £7.5 million. 16/17, they spent £14.4 million and spent £13.3 million-net spend £1.1 million. (Figures from www.transferleague.co.uk).

They also had 2 .loanees from Chelsea-Mount and Tomori-and one from Liverpool-Wilson-but in the previous season they also had a Chelsea loanee and the one before that they had a Man Utd loanee.

As a manager in his first ever job, I don't think he did that badly.

4 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Agreed he didn't do that badly (apart from selecting the wrong side in the play off final..arguably) but for anyone else it would not qualify him for a job in the Premier let alone top 6. I'd like to see young managers get a chance on their record not name. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

This keeps on being repeated but is it true?

Last year they spent £10.8 million but received £13 million-net profit of £2.2 million. 17/18, they spent £11 million and received £18.5 million-net profit of £7.5 million. 16/17, they spent £14.4 million and spent £13.3 million-net spend £1.1 million. (Figures from www.transferleague.co.uk).

They also had 2 .loanees from Chelsea-Mount and Tomori-and one from Liverpool-Wilson-but in the previous season they also had a Chelsea loanee and the one before that they had a Man Utd loanee.

In the last four seasons, they have invested almost £70 million in incoming players. 

I just did a quick Google to check on how they were being talked about in the preseason and predictions ranged from between 4th and 7th.

He managed 6th, a point less than GARY ROWETT managed 12 months earlier with a significantly inferior goal difference to GARY ROWETT. And ok, they lost Vydra and Weimann but replaced them with Mason Mount, Harry Wilson and Jack Marriot. I know which squad I would have preferred. And Frank Lampard could not exceed GARY ROWETT over the regular season. Granted, he got one step further in the playoffs, but largely due to Lampard's Derby playing an imploding Leeds United in their semi-final whereas Rowett's Derby had to play eventual playoff winners and the league's form team in Fulham.

I would generally think that to get a Premier League job, your performance in the Championship, as an absolute minimum requirement, should be significantly exceeding what GARY ROWETT can manage.

Ultimately, if you ignore net spend, loans and all that, then I think 6th is probably par for the course with the squad Lampard had. Bearing in mind that he lost the Playoff final, he was only one game away from a fantastic season. I certainly don't think he did badly.

Obviously he got the job because he's a Chelsea legend, but we see it all the time. When it comes to choosing a manager/coach, someone who knows the club inside out, is adored by the fans and instantly commands the respect of the players always carries serious weight.