Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Gloating

When I posted a couple of days ago, I was accused of gloating. 

I would like to put the record straight - I was NOT gloating then.

However, I AM now.

Last night''s performance was, at times brilliant. The team was spot on, the tactics were spot on, the substitutions were spot on.  Even the warm up showed the desire we want from the players.

Yes we are still below where we would want to be in the league, yes we have underperformed during a bad spell. 

BUT, Worthy has stuck with it, despite the nasty and personal criticism he has faced and last night was not just about 12 points out of 12, it was about the way we played against a team who were 5th in the league and with the highest goalscorer.

All of you Worthy Out-ers, should take a long hard look at yourselves.  Delia, Michael and Co - well done for sticking to your guns. 

Worthington''s green and yellow army (as was being sung last night).

Think you were missing the point Dicky (again).  We were simply pointing out that your re-emergence on the board (after weeks of silence) was somewhat cringe-worthy.... (excuse the pun).

I''m a big fan of Worthington''s, in the main, and whilst I''ve been frustrated over the past few months, I''ve largely backed the manager.  I''m delighted with Worthy''s recent performances and am hugely impressed by the Board''s loyalty and commitment. 

We''re all delighted with the recent run of results... What I (and others) were trying to point out the other day was that when the going got tough, your silence was notable, then you make an immediate return after we''ve strung a few decent results together... such ficklenss hardly gives you cause to gloat!!

4 games ago, if you weren''t concerned about the predicament of norwich city then you should have been. all the positive attributes you mentioned in your post dicky were lacking from city''s players then - they were a shambles against derby.it seemed to me that since the motivational guru did his stuff and the players ''huddled'' at crewe, city are a different team, and in every game we are growing in stature and belief.  Did worthy or delia bring the shrink in? looking at worthy''s public criticism of mcveigh and hucks in the last 2 days, this doesn''t look out of the guru''s handbook does it? you can only gloat dicky if you think you''ve been proved right and until we''re promoted imo it would have been wiser to say nothing.

30 points off the top 21 off second ...the manager has failed and failed big time this season , should of been sacked last season  and just a shame hes still here now . Lets see what he does in January when he has no Ashton and Safri ....

Dicky - To be honest I preferred Herb''s approach to gloating.

He bumped a thread where a poster called Link something or other said that we had no chance of beating Sheffield United, and on the same thread Link called Herb a "Twerp", an insult my five year old cousin has grown out of. So by bumping that after our quality victory against Colin''s boys I think that was a lot more effective!

Worthy and the squad have FAILED this season because they will not be in the automatic places for promotion. if they were we would now be looking to strengthen the squad not worrying about cashing in on our biggest asset. Even if we do reach the play offs - what a lottery that is. This league is mediocre and Norwich are clearly head and shoulders above every other side in most departments, trouble is we have imbalances and inadequacies in other areas and that is down to Worthy and mercenaries like Jarrett.

This is no time to gloat or to apologise the team are only doing what we are entitled to expect.

gloating!!!! We are 12th in the league!!!  my god, wow, great, well done Worthy!!!! anybody would think we were 12th in the premier league the way you are going on....

You can gloat all you like when we finish 2nd or win the play-offs!!! then i wont care anyway ill be too busy celebrating!!

other than that lets see what happens...  especially without safri and ashton in a couple of weeks time.. and after our esteemed manager has spent any monies available.

Dicky - the very fact that you feel the need to ''gloat'' shows that you are more concerned with you (& Worthy) being proved ''right'' rather than an objective view of the current situation. The performance was good in the first half last night, an on occasions in the second but it was not ''brilliant''. At 2-0 up we should have taken charge by keeping possession, slowing the game down, making Burnley work extra hard. Instead we kept charging forward and often gave the ball away too cheaply.

We are 12th and should be at least 3rd within touching distance of Sheffield Utd & Reading. This is not a position to gloat about. 4 straight wins is very good, gives everyone a warm, hopeful feeling but we have not achieved anything yet.

I notice you gave Ashton 9 for last night''s performance - I hope this was to try and keep him on our side becasue it certainly did not reflect his actual perfromance which was ponderous and largely ineffective (although this does appear to be unusual as the reports suggest Dean has operated at a much higher level in previous games).

i despair at most of you lot on here, did any of you cynical & negative people actually go to last nights game? i know that dicky did because he was kind and considerate enough  not only to drive  me to & from brighton  in atrocious conditions but also pay for my ticket! an absolute star!! our recent form has been stunning and its now only right that we should ALL get behind the players, manager, and board by giving them them kind of support that they so rightly deserve so please no more whinging, moaning worthy outers and doubters from now on start believing that we''re going upupup

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]

Worthy and the squad have FAILED this season because they will not be in the automatic places for promotion. if they were we would now be looking to strengthen the squad not worrying about cashing in on our biggest asset. Even if we do reach the play offs - what a lottery that is. This league is mediocre and Norwich are clearly head and shoulders above every other side in most departments, trouble is we have imbalances and inadequacies in other areas and that is down to Worthy and mercenaries like Jarrett.

This is no time to gloat or to apologise the team are only doing what we are entitled to expect.

[/quote]

What you say is right, but a little overstated IMO. It''s a relative failure, not an absolute failure. It''s not as if we had no financial constraints, and we could go out a buy whatever we needed. It''s now apparent that, in the areas Worthy has signed new players this year (a lot of them on loan), those players have been better than the ones they replaced, and so the quality of the squad is higher. However, we still have the same voids. The question remains - who has he failed to sign who was suitable in both financial and football terms? He can''t manufacture wingers, so where will he find them? I think this is where the wider management has to step in, and widen the scouting net, e.g. to eastern Europe, where the new EEC countries no longer have work permit problems.

I certainly agree with your last paragraph, although a little gloating is permissible not based on the team''s current performance (we certainly are entitled to expect this level) but aimed at those who tried to convince us that we were off to hell in a handcart, with Worthy pushing it.

you can gLaot all u like Dicky.. but 4 games ago with the presure REALLY stepped up on Worthy and his job hanging by a thread where were u offering ur support to him?

jas :)

Come to think of it, has anyone seen Dicky and A load of squit in the same room together?[;)]

But anyway, its nice to see Dicky back, theres been an absence of well thought out and not at all hypocritical debate on these forums of late.

oh dear, oh dear "richard" You know full well what i meant and couldnt even type a response to it, rather then picking up on my spelling mistake.

Had we not of turned it round and Worthy had got the chop i trust then, given your prior actions, that we wouldnt of ever seen you on these boards again?

jas :)

Get real. Worthington''s Green N Yellow Army wasn''t sung once against Burnley except maybe by you on your own. Once again it was just Delia''s Barmy Army that was sung. And yes, I was there before you start, your holliness.

Dicky

I am really happy that you are happy.  Happy with the whole season it seems, though you do mention, fleetingly some underperforming!  Some?  Don''t you mean half a season''s worth?

Sure we have just won five games, oh yeah fantastic.  Promotion winning form, of course it is, if, that is, you have already won the majority of those games preceeding those five.  Why have we suddenly hit such a rich vein of form?

Could it be the revitalised Paul McVeigh playing?  Could it be a return (although not yesterday) to some decent football?  The psychologist perhaps?  You?

Whatever it is, great stuff.  If we can continue and get near to the play offs, I will personally come on here and admit Worthy has done well SINCE DECEMBER.

Up to that point it has been crap and you have to admit that, if not on this board, to yourself.  Worthy is not a great manager, he is okay, no more than that.  Did I sing Worthy''s Green and Yellow Army?  No, and won''t do again.  Sorry, I will need a lot more convincing.  If we sell Dean Ashton I will need a lot more still.  I will still support my club, as I have done for many years, but I am not too blind to see what is wrong with our manager, his style of football and his man management skills. 

[quote user="Dicky"]

When I posted a couple of days ago, I was accused of gloating. 

I would like to put the record straight - I was NOT gloating then.

However, I AM now.

Last night''s performance was, at times brilliant. The team was spot on, the tactics were spot on, the substitutions were spot on.  Even the warm up showed the desire we want from the players.

Yes we are still below where we would want to be in the league, yes we have underperformed during a bad spell. 

BUT, Worthy has stuck with it, despite the nasty and personal criticism he has faced and last night was not just about 12 points out of 12, it was about the way we played against a team who were 5th in the league and with the highest goalscorer.

All of you Worthy Out-ers, should take a long hard look at yourselves.  Delia, Michael and Co - well done for sticking to your guns. 

Worthington''s green and yellow army (as was being sung last night).

[/quote]  I don''t know where you sit Dicky but from the upper Barclay all I heard was Delia''s Barmy Army and no mention of Worthy.

I thought we played well at times against Burnley, but we were hanging on at the end.  Burnley looked a mediocre side who will certainly not stay in the top six for much longer, and as for Akinbiyi he didn''t look dangerous all night, let alone the league''s top scorer. 

Did you go to the Leicester game on Saturday and if so did you think we played brilliantly?  We were so lucky to get a result, and with better finishing by Leicester the game would have been over by half time.  It reminded me a bit of the season when we got promoted and had a lot of luck.  Sheffield Utd away and Soton at home are probably our best performances this season, but you have to remember we were the first team to lose at home to Sheffield Wed and the first to lose away to Millwall.

I have taken a long hard look at myself and have to say that I am still not a big Worthy fan.  I believe he is good at handling older professionals, but struggles when it comes to younger talented players.  He appears adamant that the team should keep a certain shape, and seems to discourage those players who show individualism.  He prefers to play an older pro out of position rather than bring in a youngster who can play in that position.  His tactics seem a little limited at times eg big hoof down the middle or get it out to Huckerby, and I think many opposition managers this season have taken advantage of that. 

There are still five months to go before the end of the season and who knows he could win me over in that time.

[quote user="Chunky Canary"]City 0 - Preston 3 and City played crap. Right Dicky are you gloating now?[/quote]  Have to agree with you Chunky the performance today was poor.  Robinson shouldn''t have been playing as he clearly still had problems with the ribs.  Three left backs in the side with Drury, Charlton and Brennan.  Etuhu might just as well have put a Preston shirt on. They completely dominated the midfield and won just about every 50 - 50 ball.  Same tactics employed by Worthy again, big hoof up to Ashton or try and get it out to Huckerby.  Yet another manager who did his homework and got his just rewards.