Sign in to follow this  
K Lo

New Car Park Charges - Greater Anglia Railways

You would save a lot but I need to get there early, also am knackered at the end of the day so let the train take the strain.

I only ever go to London for work, in which case I don't have to worry about costs, or with the family. And sadly, the train is never more financially viable than driving when you are travelling with more than one person, so I drive to Stratford where their whole day parking isn't that bad and certainly not more than two adult train tickets when combined with the cost of the diesel. And from there you are on the Central Line so London is your oyster.

Shame, because I'd always prefer to train than drive but it just doesn't make sense.

£3 a day is hardly the price of a cup of coffee for goodness sake which for 19 home games makes it £57 for a season.

OT.     I'm OK around the Swindon area, as I do work for "Oak and Furrows Wildlife Rescue" and have a banner for the window saying out for a pick-up. I use it even if I'm not volunteering for them. I never had a ticket with that banner !

11 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

This is a first world problem 

What's your point ?

Norwich getting relegated to League One was a First World problem too, however, this board is specifically Norwich City FC-related discussion, therefore, inherently, nearly all First World problems.

8 minutes ago, K Lo said:

What's your point ?

Norwich getting relegated to League One was a First World problem too, however, this board is specifically Norwich City FC-related discussion, therefore, inherently, nearly all First World problems.

It is so trivial that it is hardly worth the other and indeed a classic first world problem 

2 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

It is so trivial that it is hardly worth the other and indeed a classic first world problem 

That's merely your opinion.

There'd be uproar if train fares increased by 71% but that's what's happened through the back door.

It's now cheaper to park at Rose Lane.

8 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

We don't all have taxpayer-funded gold-plated police pensions, Til.

There was me thinking i paid income tax and NI during my service and contributed into the pension scheme from my salary.

All this indignation over paying £3 every time Norwich play at home which is 19 times over 10 months makes me wonder what commuters think who pay £3 a day 5 days a week all year round.

This wasn't meant to be a post about who can or can't afford £3 to leave their car at the station, it's was trying to highlight people before our first home game, so that they can, if they wish, chose an alternative.

I also wanted to highlight the underhandedness of it. People only really talk about the price of the ticket and rarely include the car park cost as well. You can park at Rose Lane for £6 if you can return before 6pm and it's only £8.20 all day, which compares well with £7.20 for 1 person leaving their car at Brundall and travelling by train.
At a time when we're meant to be encouraged to travel less in our cars on more on public transport, hiking up rail fares and charging additionally seems to go against that. 

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

All this indignation over paying £3 every time Norwich play at home which is 19 times over 10 months makes me wonder what commuters think who pay £3 a day 5 days a week all year round.

That is a very valid point but this is an NCFC board, so I kept it relevant to those that go on match day.

23 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This is me in a nutshell. I really hate paying for car parking anywhere.

As an aside, don't match tickets in Germany give you free public transport for the city two hours before and two hours after the match? A pretty good deal considering tickets are so cheap anyway.

Brighton matchday tckets also give you free public transport

7 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

There was me thinking i paid income tax and NI during my service and contributed into the pension scheme from my salary.

I don't doubt it. 

I also contribute into your pension scheme from my salary (and through council tax).

On 04/07/2019 at 08:25, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As an aside, don't match tickets in Germany give you free public transport for the city two hours before and two hours after the match? A pretty good deal considering tickets are so cheap anyway.

That sounds a deal, at least until we leave the EU.

Then you'll get your tyres slashed 🙂

11 hours ago, K Lo said:

This wasn't meant to be a post about who can or can't afford £3 to leave their car at the station, it's was trying to highlight people before our first home game, so that they can, if they wish, chose an alternative.

That's Premier League for you......rinse the poor punter dry !!🙂😉

21 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

£3 a day is hardly the price of a cup of coffee for goodness sake which for 19 home games makes it £57 for a season.

Surely ex employees get a discount Tillo?🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃

9 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I don't doubt it. 

I also contribute into your pension scheme from my salary (and through council tax).

Yep and i believe a proportion of the council tax i pay on my house goes into the Police budget as well. As for your contribution into my pension scheme from your salary i doubt very much it was 9% as was mine.

9 hours ago, city4eva said:

Brighton matchday tckets also give you free public transport

Hardly surprising as their ground is in the back end of nowhere miles out of town to say the least.

14 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yep and i believe a proportion of the council tax i pay on my house goes into the Police budget as well. As for your contribution into my pension scheme from your salary i doubt very much it was 9% as was mine.

Probably not, but I'm still chucking more into yours than you are into mine. You could just say thank you. 

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Probably not, but I'm still chucking more into yours than you are into mine. You could just say thank you. 

if you tell me where you work i will make a judgement.

A small Insurtech startup. Private sector, likely to be working til I'm 70+, unlikely that there will be a state pension when I get there. 

Edited by canarydan23

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

A small Insurtech startup. Private sector, likely to be working til I'm 70+, unlikely that there will be a state pension when I get there. 

You will if you keep wasting productive time on here Dan. Put the hours in now buddy and retirement will come sooner👍

34 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Having to pay to park in car park shocker!

So, you're OK with £3 being charged where it never had been before?
Would you be equally as blasé if the £4.20 rail fare had gone up £3 ? 

5 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Would this be a good time to mention i have a free bus pass as well ? I must say i am gutted about having to pay for a TV licence when i reach 75.

3 hours ago, K Lo said:

So, you're OK with £3 being charged where it never had been before?
Would you be equally as blasé if the £4.20 rail fare had gone up £3 ? 

I have no problem with paying for parking - why should it be free? No doubt car parks have a rateable value and need to be maintained and supervised etc. Are the operators expected to subsidise your parking. No one is forcing you to park there. £3 is not an excessive charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

I have no problem with paying for parking - why should it be free? No doubt car parks have a rateable value and need to be maintained and supervised etc. Are the operators expected to subsidise your parking. No one is forcing you to park there. £3 is not an excessive charge.

The issue is not about paying for parking - we all have to do that - it is about a blanket policy across a network that takes no account of individual stations' situations and localities needs. It's a method of making money, that is all.  The company will make an extra few million out of it.....bully for them....but in some situations where easy on street parking is nearby, charging for a car park is totally inappropriate, when locals cannot park outside where they live because of railway users not wanting to pay.  Business and making money is one thing, blanket policies of charging is just wrong.....but that doesn't stop businesses trying to fleece their customers to make a few extra quid.

3 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

The car parks are not supervised.
By your logic, ASDA, Tesco etc. should also charge their customers for using their car parks, which "need to be maintained and supervised etc".
The idea is that you entice people into buying your products and services, not put the price up so that alternatives are even more viable.