Sign in to follow this  
Chip20

Cantwell signs new contract!

Good news, although slightly curious as to his role this season. I presume primarily as back up to Buendia?

I do have reservations about Todd's ability, or more so his effectiveness. I'm not convinced he's a regular Championship starter, let alone Premier League. Will be interesting to see. 

"But Todd's demanding too much money and his agent is causing problems..."

Nice to see this put this to bed. I still think he (and us) would benefit more in the long term from a full season on loan in the Championship rather than a few sub appearances in the Premier League and some games for the Under-23s, mind.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Watching the season review DVD (I've got up to the floodlight defeat to Derby) it reminded me of how excellent Todd looked in spells for the first half of the season, I think he's got great potential.  I think he lost his place due to injury, and the team was then doing so well that he had to wait for a gap to appear (as usual with Farke) and didn't offer the same contribution when he came in during Emi's suspension, which I think was a mixture of lack of game time and loss of confidence.

Good to have him signed on, not expecting him to start at day 1 but definitely expect him to have a role to play.

It’s great to see all our youngster who had a big part in promotion rewarded and staying put.

Great for Cantwell and the club, add this Thompson being fit is a major plus too, think he’s a talent if he can stay fit!

So pleased with this. He's got huge potential and it would have been a big disappointment if he had slipped through our fingers. Not sure he's going to be a regular starter this year but an important part of the squad and our future.

I think if we don't get a new #10 in by the end of month, Cantwell will be the one challenging for that spot w stiepy. Both cantwell and buendia seem to always slowly drift to the middle when they're out wide, but Buendia readjusts himself better. Cantwell seems a natural middle player - and will probably show his true potential when played there.

3 hours ago, Il Pirata said:

Good news, although slightly curious as to his role this season. I presume primarily as back up to Buendia?

I do have reservations about Todd's ability, or more so his effectiveness. I'm not convinced he's a regular Championship starter, let alone Premier League. Will be interesting to see. 

Homegrown quota... Literally!

I can't see him getting much game time but he will only improve so, decent to get him signed on.

10 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Homegrown quota... Literally!

I can't see him getting much game time but he will only improve so, decent to get him signed on.

Homegrown less of a concern this season. I agree with those who think a season on loan could do him good though.

Did really well at times last season, especially in tricky periods with injury and suspensions. Still young and can improve, but thoroughly deserves a new contract 

Always please to see local academy boy sign a new contract. Took a while, hope for a big season from young Todd 

Great news, I'm a big fan of his and really hope he has a long career with us. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in and around the squad for the first half of the season, and possibly sent out on loan to a championship side in January (providing he hasn't forced his way into the side by then).

I have to say, it's a very ballsy move on Todd's part to take the 14 shirt.

Given some of the horseshít that was thrown his way after just a couple of average performances last season, let's hope the fans are more forgiving if he doesn't quite hit Hoolahan levels of awesome straight away.

Brilliant news to see him sign a new contract alongside so many of our other title-winning heroes.

• Like 3

Good man.  I was a bit critical of him and/or his agent in not signing up earlier, but then I don't know the ins and outs of it - but I never doubted his ability and the quality he has that he showed plenty of times last season.  Great to see so many players signing up long term to the project.