Bill

Squad numbers announced

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-announce-premier-league-squad-numbers-1-6140043

NCFC 2019-20 SQUAD NUMBERS

1 Tim Krul

2 Max Aarons

4 Ben Godfrey

5 Grant Hanley (C)

6 Christoph Zimmermann

7 Patrick Roberts

8 Mario Vrancic

10 Moritz Leitner

11 Onel Hernandez

12 Jamal Lewis

14 Todd Cantwell

15 Timm Klose

16 Philip Heise

17 Emi Buendia

18 Marco Stiepermann

19 Tom Trybull

20 Josip Drmic

22 Teemu Pukki

23 Kenny McLean

27 Alex Tettey

32 Dennis Srbeny

33 Michael McGovern (GK)

34 Louis Thompson

36 Nick Hayes (GK)

38 Aston Oxborough (GK)

1 minute ago, Bill said:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-announce-premier-league-squad-numbers-1-6140043

NCFC 2019-20 SQUAD NUMBERS

1 Tim Krul

2 Max Aarons

4 Ben Godfrey

5 Grant Hanley (C)

6 Christoph Zimmermann

7 Patrick Roberts

8 Mario Vrancic

10 Moritz Leitner

11 Onel Hernandez

12 Jamal Lewis

14 Todd Cantwell

15 Timm Klose

16 Philip Heise

17 Emi Buendia

18 Marco Stiepermann

19 Tom Trybull

20 Josip Drmic

22 Teemu Pukki

23 Kenny McLean

27 Alex Tettey

32 Dennis Srbeny

33 Michael McGovern (GK)

34 Louis Thompson

36 Nick Hayes (GK)

38 Aston Oxborough (GK)

I’m surprised by Hanley being captain, thought it might go to Zimmermann after his immense performance and leadership last season.

I wonder how much that might change by the Liverpool game.

it might be that he is 'club captain'  and not necessarily on the day

numbers 3 and 9 are not taken.... as of yet

True, he’s certainly highly respected by players and coaches alike, not a bad thing if he’s got a positive impact on the players.

I think 9 might be taken by Idah......👍

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yep, surprised Jamal didn't take the 3 shirt. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don’t think anyone will end up taking them this season. Certainly not a left back and striker. 

" But there is no squad number currently for Nelson Oliveira, Ben Marshall and James Husband, after all three finished last season out on loan - suggesting they may well be leaving the club. "

The question now is who will make up the 25 man squad as required by the PL ?

And how many of our younger players will not need to be named ?

I have removed those who I think are under 21 so do not need to be named - giving us 19 players

However i stand to be corrected on Gordon, Lewis, Aarons and Cantwell as regards age

1 Tim Krul

5 Grant Hanley (C)

6 Christoph Zimmermann

7 Patrick Roberts

8 Mario Vrancic

10 Moritz Leitner

11 Onel Hernandez

15 Timm Klose

16 Philip Heise

17 Emi Buendia

18 Marco Stiepermann

19 Tom Trybull

20 Josip Drmic

22 Teemu Pukki

23 Kenny McLean

27 Alex Tettey

32 Dennis Srbeny

33 Michael McGovern (GK)

34 Louis Thompson

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

" But there is no squad number currently for Nelson Oliveira, Ben Marshall and James Husband, after all three finished last season out on loan - suggesting they may well be leaving the club. "

The question now is who will make up the 25 man squad as required by the PL ?

And how many of our younger players will not need to be named ?

I have removed those who I think are under 21 so do not need to be named - giving us 19 players

However i stand to be corrected on Gordon, Lewis, Aarons and Cantwell as regards age

You don't have to use the full 25, though. The official rule is a 25-man squad of which eight must be trained in England, but in reality the rule is more like 'maximum of 17 players who are not trained in England'.

How many do we have? 14, I think?

I think the rule is more that ....

a squad of no more than 25 with the associated qualifications.... home grown players etc

so as you say there is no requirement to have 25, just that you cannot have more than 25

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

Lewis not wearing number 3 is going to bug the crap out of me this season.

Yup, me too. Last season was a nightmare for squad numbers. Jordan Rhodes as 11 was particularly annoying. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yup, me too. Last season was a nightmare for squad numbers. Jordan Rhodes as 11 was particularly annoying. 

I used to find Whittaker really annoying- a right back wearing 3 is just so wrong.

Nothing worse than Patrico at Wolves wearing 11 though.

• Like 1

I'm guessing Jamal simply wanted to keep the no 12 shirt as he wore it last season when he became a first team regular. It's pretty common for players to get attached to their shirt number.  Probably the same with Teemu.

I think that we're showing our age with this, 5 and 6 should be centre backs, 4 in midfield. 2 always a right back, always. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I think that we're showing our age with this, 5 and 6 should be centre backs, 4 in midfield. 2 always a right back, always. 

I don't think it's an age thing, I think it's just standard notation. 7 plays on the right, 11 on the left, etcetera.

Anyone else remember Gary Megson wearing squad number 9 in the egg-and-cress era?

I also remember Charlton doing their squad numbers alphabetically to stop people fighting over the numbers. Stuart Balmer, a defender, was number 1. Now that was weird.

• Like 1

3 and 9 are Husbands and Oliveria previous numbers. Could just be they are being held back incase they stay although Marshalls old number has been allocated to Roberts.

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

3 and 9 are Husbands and Oliveria previous numbers. Could just be they are being held back incase they stay although Marshalls old number has been allocated to Roberts.

Wishful thinking kiwi?

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't think it's an age thing, I think it's just standard notation. 7 plays on the right, 11 on the left, etcetera.

Anyone else remember Gary Megson wearing squad number 9 in the egg-and-cress era?

I also remember Charlton doing their squad numbers alphabetically to stop people fighting over the numbers. Stuart Balmer, a defender, was number 1. Now that was weird.

If you're feeling nerdy 'Inverting the Pyramid' by Jonathan Wilson is a great read. Mainly about tactics but there is a bit about how different tactical styles evolving in different countries led to certain squad numbers becoming associated with certain positions.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

If you're feeling nerdy 'Inverting the Pyramid' by Jonathan Wilson is a great read. Mainly about tactics but there is a bit about how different tactical styles evolving in different countries led to certain squad numbers becoming associated with certain positions.

Yup - I've read it, great book. Thoroughly recommended! 🙂

Squad numbers used to enable spectators to identify players, often those from the opposition team.

Now there are names on the backs of shirts they are meaningless.

Some have even been "retired" for some legends and other reasons.

Therefore uninterested until somebody puts me right by giving another justification for them above the obvious need for a label.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Squad numbers used to enable spectators to identify players, often those from the opposition team.

Now there are names on the backs of shirts they are meaningless.

I don't know about you, but whether I'm at the game or watching on TV I can't read the player's name (unless it's a close-up). I can see the number, though.

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't know about you, but whether I'm at the game or watching on TV I can't read the player's name (unless it's a close-up). I can see the number, though.

With no number you can make the name bigger.

I manage to read the names and need no reference to the team sheet.

Perhaps you should go to Specsavers WWIFTM? :classic_mellow:

On 03/07/2019 at 12:53, Indy said:

True, he’s certainly highly respected by players and coaches alike, not a bad thing if he’s got a positive impact on the players.

I think 9 might be taken by Idah......👍

According to RTE News Idah is no.35.  They're also saying that due to preseason with senior squad, he'll miss playing for Ireland u19 in upcoming European  Championship.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yeah, my eyes are ****. But considering the vast majority of posters here and considerably older than me, I'm guessing I'm not alone here 😉

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

17 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

With my glasses I stuggle to make out the names  and the number does stand out more. Some people have better vision, but then distance and angle from the player is also a factor.

18 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

According to RTE News Idah is no.35.  They're also saying that due to preseason with senior squad, he'll miss playing for Ireland u19 in upcoming European  Championship.

Yes, in the photo of him signing his new contract he had 35 on his training top.

17 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Just noticed a GK called Nick Hayes, when did he sneak in to the building? 

He's a young keeper who was at that club south of the border... https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2019/february/nick-hayes-goalkeeper-signing-norwich-city/

2 hours ago, Woodman said:

Yes, in the photo of him signing his new contract he had 35 on his training top.

He's a young keeper who was at that club south of the border... https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2019/february/nick-hayes-goalkeeper-signing-norwich-city/

So I see, although he wasn't in the official squad list but made it on to the one posted on here 🤔