Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Time for a pep talk

I'm seeing too many people on here getting nervous and worried about next season......THERE IS NO NEED!  Ok, I know I'm clueless about football, I know I talk alot of guff (sometimes) but sometimes you just have to say.....COME ON!!!!!  Stop mithering about the Premier blessed league and embrace the challenge.  Enjoy it for goodness sakes, that was the message last season.....ENJOY IT!    The challenge is there to be relsihed not to be timid and think we are just a little club in the east of England and how on earth are we going to compete against the mighty PL clubs....

What's the worst that can happen anyway? We could get relegated again....and that is what the pundits expect (and want) so it would be no surprise to anyone......so why the need for being worried?  Are we desperate to stay up.....or is it a fantastic opportunity to have a free hit at the PL....even if we got relegated the club has a fantastic set up now for getting back up again.

So if anyone out there is worried.....DON'T WORRY!!!  BE HAPPY!!

Pep talk over. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

As Lakey's Lectures go.......

That one was poor.

And boring.

And same old, same old.

Jeeze, I feel depressed now.

Nurse!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm seeing too many people on here getting nervous and worried about next season......THERE IS NO NEED!  Ok, I know I'm clueless about football, I know I talk alot of guff (sometimes) but sometimes you just have to say.....COME ON!!!!!  Stop mithering about the Premier blessed league and embrace the challenge.  Enjoy it for goodness sakes, that was the message last season.....ENJOY IT!    The challenge is there to be relsihed not to be timid and think we are just a little club in the east of England and how on earth are we going to compete against the mighty PL clubs....

What's the worst that can happen anyway? We could get relegated again....and that is what the pundits expect (and want) so it would be no surprise to anyone......so why the need for being worried?  Are we desperate to stay up.....or is it a fantastic opportunity to have a free hit at the PL....even if we got relegated the club has a fantastic set up now for getting back up again.

Pep talk over. 

I don't understand how you square this with your earlier talk of us being capable of finishing 4th and being disappointed if we finished bottom half?

• Like 1

I’ve been following  Norwich long enough now to know that you have to enjoy each season for what it is. You may go into the season feeling pessimistic or optimistic and maybe it works out that way, maybe it doesn’t. It’s like going to the theatre to see a “who done it” - you’ve kind of got ideas as the play goes along but you’re never really sure what’s going to happen until the end. That’s all part of the entertainment. For what it’s worth I agree with Lakey, I think we will do ok. But whatever happens it’s going to be a hell of a ride 😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't understand how you square this with your earlier talk of us being capable of finishing 4th and being disappointed if we finished bottom half?

Wasting your keyboard Kingo, theres almost nothing that can dampen LDCs enthusiasm, optimism and i dare  say  that Lakey probably thought the Brits would win at Rourkes Drift.

10 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Wasting your keyboard Kingo, theres almost nothing that can dampen LDCs enthusiasm, optimism and i dare  say  that Lakey probably thought the Brits would win at Rourkes Drift.

I'm not trying to dampen his enthusiasm, I'm just confused.

A couple of weeks ago we were all being terribly negative for suggesting we'd be in a relegation battle this season and that low expectation would transfer to the players, now it's a free hit and it doesn't matter if we go down. I don't get the change.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

A couple of weeks ago we were all being terribly negative for suggesting we'd be in a relegation battle this season and that low expectation would transfer to the players, now it's a free hit and it doesn't matter if we go down. I don't get the change.

Nor Me! Although it could be a belated nod to reality after the'top 4' discussion. FWIW i think we may well survive, i know they were cup games(with player changes) but we gave both Arsenal and Chelsea a good run for their money last season, our football stayed the same in those games and adapted pretty well to 'better' opposition. That said it'll probably still be a very tough season. As long as we keep our style of play and continue to progress as a club, i'm happy. Relegation , i can live with. Mainly because i feel that because the Club is in such a good place financially and young players on the books, it will be just that, relegation , with no great need to change the way we are doing things, just carry on, quite a bit richer in both Players and Money than say 2 years ago.

Isn't this (a bit) hypocritical, coming from the guy who was insufferable for the last six games of last season, telling people off for celebrating prematurely ? :classic_tongue:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I agree Kingo , don't understand it either... the incentive is : Let's do everything to stay in the PL !  ... not "don't worry, relegation is no problemo" ... 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Pep talk over. 

If you think we are going to break the top 4, surely you'd be surprised if we were relegated?

Urgh... Lakey admitted at the time that he was being optimistic about 4th and so what? It sure beats reading a load of old moaning and worrying about what might happen. It's cool to have some ambition and a dream. Shouldn't be chastised for it or held accountable to it when it was simply a POST ON A FOOTIE FORUM.

Truth is, nobody expected us to be in this position now. Many didn't think we'd get anywhere near playoffs last season, let alone go and win the bloody whole thing! So, I'm with LDC in feeling optimistic about the season ahead.

If we get regulated buh... so be ut! I'd rather be dining at the top table than languishing in the servant's quarters like Ip****

Is a pep talk the new Lakey lecture a bit like we don't have a shirt sponsor anymore but a principle partner ?

Well I'm not certainly expecting us to finish top of the league, but if we do I'll take it 🙂

This is the blessing of not being one of the biggest clubs in the land. The expectation(when being realistic) isn't huge! 

I, like many I'd expect, am quietly optimistic that our team (especially the young lads) will suprise many outside of the club and we will do quite well. Relish in the fact that if it goes either way, you were ITK 😜.

We do well: it was always going to happen. We have gems in this club.

It goes bad: what did you expect? We spent £10m and played half a team under the age of 23.

This season is not the be-all end-all. This, like last season. Will be part of a (very) long-term financial and footballing plan. Which we possibly wont see the full benifits from for years. Enjoy it. And enjoy those outside the club loving our downfalls and hating our good spells, because in the end it really doesn't matter much what they think

On 02/07/2019 at 13:44, wcorkcanary said:

Um...............the Brits did kind of win at Rorkes Drift, so I'm with LDC on this one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Redders Right Foot said:

This season is not the be-all end-all. This, like last season. Will be part of a (very) long-term financial and footballing plan. Which we possibly wont see the full benifits from for years. 

I get what you're saying Redders but some of us haven't got that long left...