Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Leo Vegas......now dafabet

9 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

You could just as easily order 24 cans and a litre of Vodka for online delivery through a supermarket (and some local shops offer this as well), but we're not castigating Tesco et al for offering the service.

I can order ridiculous amounts of food online as well for that matter, and nobody is going to tell KFC that they need to be more responsible in providing endless chicken to customers.

On both of these services I could spaff huge sums without getting up, but neither would be getting the hassle that the betting companies are.

Just as a side note, I don't gamble much beyond a weekly Lotto ticket and the occasional quid or two on the footy if the mood takes me, so it's not like I'm some gambling obsessed fan who's defending their enjoyment with this stance, I just don't see how a shirt logo became Pandora's Box.

Supermarkets and KFC aren’t offering immediate resource for addicts. There is more of a delay and thought process involved if someone wants to eat themselves silly or get drunk.

Online betting companies are offering instant betting with numerous offers and all through endless advertising.

I agree a logo on a football shirt won’t make much difference to whether one decides to gamble but it is part of a much wider problem that needs addressing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

I agree a logo on a football shirt won’t make much difference to whether one decides to gamble but it is part of a much wider problem that needs addressing.

Now THAT is something I can fully agree with.

I get that every team needs and gets a shirt sponsor, but - like all advertising - after a while it becomes wallpaper.  Years ago, when it was less common, you could name who the shirts sponsors were: Crown Paints at Liverpool, Hafnia at Everton, Fisons (always made me smile that one), but these days, I haven't got a clue who sponsors anyone.

16 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

That is the point I've been trying to make so well done for making it so succinctly!

Firstly, can someone mature - probably a four- or five-year-old - take Fenway Frank aside and try to wean him off his obsession with these misnamed "glamour" pictures that keep getting posted.

As to betting companies, I am torn on this, because part of me thinks that if punters get in too deep that is entirely their fault. Whatever happened to willpower? But then there are reports that some betting companies deliberately encourage punters who are obviously losing money to carry on, with special offers and the like.

I would be interested to know if Dafabet has safeguards in place that actively prevent such punters, who lack the willpower to stop when they are behind, from carrying on throwing away money.

It's the adverts on TV that really get under my skin. They absolutely cram them in these days and relentlessly barrage you with new offers and all that in play boll*cos - any literally any moment they get the chance.

Sky even have a special slot seconds before kickoff where they squeeze in yet another mind numbing shot of Ray Winston chatting rubbish about how much money you will win.

I was delighted to read that Sky are doing away with them during matches next season.

22 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Firstly, can someone mature - probably a four- or five-year-old - take Fenway Frank aside and try to wean him off his obsession with these misnamed "glamour" pictures that keep getting posted.

As to betting companies, I am torn on this, because part of me thinks that if punters get in too deep that is entirely their fault. Whatever happened to willpower? But then there are reports that some betting companies deliberately encourage punters who are obviously losing money to carry on, with special offers and the like.

I would be interested to know if Dafabet has safeguards in place that actively prevent such punters, who lack the willpower to stop when they are behind, from carrying on throwing away money.

I guess the problem is that it's the weak-willed people who end up collapsing under it all. Is it the gambling companies fault? Not really, but because it's their industry they do have a problem to solve.

I like having a bet on the horses, I bet on the football quite regularly too - only a few quid here or there. I don't think that enjoyment should be taken away from me because others can't control themselves. Maybe it's a somewhat sick but relative version of natural selection. 

I know it's not a nice thing to say and this will certainly bely frowned upon by most, however, here goes. I have zero problem with gambling companies, they can target me as much as they like and I will bet as little or as much as I want to regardless of their advertisement. I do not understand the outrage about betting that some people have, people need to use self control; they are not being forced to bet. If people want to drink themselves silly or bet their house on something, go for it, but don't complain when it goes wrong.

Having worked in the industry for some 14 years, I obviously take no issue with this.

People need to be accountable for their own decisions in life.

We're becoming a soft society that keeps telling people, "it's not your fault"

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't think that enjoyment should be taken away from me because others can't control themselves.

This point always gets made and always missed the point.

Nobody is calling for it to be taken away from you. As far as I'm aware nobody is here calling for a ban on gambling or to close down bookmakers, just some greater regulation on the advertising and offers used to hook people in.

13 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I have zero problem with gambling companies, they can target me as much as they like and I will bet as little or as much as I want to regardless of their advertisement.

That is great for you. But advertising clearly works on some people otherwise these companies wouldn't spend so much money on it. Would your enjoyment of gambling be damaged if you didn't see 20 adverts per game for betting companies? I'm taking a stab at no.

• Like 1

The only reason to use a bookie is to rinse them on their free bet offers to make yourself some free money. If you want to place an actual bet or trade then you use the exchanges. I have no problem with the club taking their money, scum that prey on the losers and punish anyone who dares to take value from them by closing or stake restricting their account. 

I can understand some of the points made pro and contra...but the bottom line is: it seems to have been a good deal for the club.

The first kit I bought (at least my parent's bought me) , had FOSTER'S on it ... a beer brewer... I didn't know what it was tbh and my parent's didn't make a fuss... I was happy and proud

I think the same applies to this ... it is a shirt sponsor and there is no way you can change it, it is part of modern day football , the same cigarette advertisments were to formula one in the eighties.

The gambling companies clearly think it's worth paying a lot of money to get their logos on football shirts and they're pretty hard-headed folks, so I imagine they're sure it's money well spent....

I made the point last year that gambling is addictive and there's plenty of public evidence that the online gambling companies are working to make their offering more addictive.  I wish our club wasn't involved with this, but unfortunately it's widespread at the moment.  I think there will come a time when it's not allowed in the same way that gambling ads aren't allowed on TV before 9pm.

Having a betting company name/logo on the shirt makes them look tawdry and cheap. I won't be buying one until the sponsors change (and there are the "classic" shirts available instead). Not particular a moral issue with it, more aesthetics.

The Lotus sponsored shirt was a nice one. Colmans had a nice link to the city (that has since been severered). Are there any large companies with a link to Norfolk anymore?

In an ideal world we'd have a charity logo on the shirts, similar to Barca / Unicef.

Edited by One Flew Over...
spelling

I want to be able to wear a shirt that does not promote something that I have personally seen destroy the lives of many people. I have no issues with anyone else that does not think like me about this but simply telling you how I feel. It just doesn't sit comfortably with me. Surely the club could produce and allow supporters to purchase adult shirts with the youth sponsor on it as an alternative? I would be prepared to pay more for the shirt if necessary. I am saddened that I am unable to now buy our shirt again due to this sponsorship. There must be others out there that are refusing to buy the shirts like me because of a gambling company on the front of it. 

• Like 2

I can certainly see all points and tend to agree having seen just how much damage gambling can be with a close friend.

That said advertising is certainly a good source of income to football clubs. If you ban gambling companies, should other products like Pie Makers, Confectioners etc too be banned for encouraging poor health choices?

It would be good though if the club made adult shirts available with the option not to have the sponsor logo for those who have a genuine issue with it.

8 minutes ago, Mutley said:

There must be others out there that are refusing to buy the shirts like me because of a gambling company on the front of it. 

There are, but there are also a significant number who are not concerned, and will buy the shirt whatever is printed on the front.

Very contentious issue at the moment and very current in the news.

It is difficult to say on one hand we have great responsible owners who won't sell the club to anyone who doesn't care about the club and then criticise them indirectly for agreeing sponsorship from a gambling company. 

Gambling has always be a tax on the working class just the same as the lottery and scratchcards are. Yes, no doubt some of the wealthy are addicted also but I would wager (sorry) it affects the less well off more.

The more who don't buy the shirt than do will eventually affect the sponsor so they will eventually pull out. I have no idea how much they pay for the deal but assume it is substantial with a club in the EPL.

It is a moral issue that doesn't need any advice from me or anyone else. Just buy or wear one of the older shirts.

49 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

The gambling companies clearly think it's worth paying a lot of money to get their logos on football shirts and they're pretty hard-headed folks, so I imagine they're sure it's money well spent....

.  I think there will come a time when it's not allowed in the same way that gambling ads aren't allowed on TV before 9pm.

Yes. We are a few years off this but surely it will come.

Reminds me how tobacco and allied (=paid) politicians fought at every ditch and hedge (& benson) to resist restrictions on their products, packaging, sponsorship or advertising .

Anyone else remember their long-held position on tobacco advertising in the UK - apparently it was solely aimed at getting existing smokers to switch brands, haha. Would have been fascinating to see what their internal market research & strategies really said about that, if it was ever leaked or subpoenaed.

Edited by GenerationA47

29 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to either remove the logo from the shirt or cover it up with a yellow transfer?

Id say its 6-4 you can remove it.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Presumably all of you who are so bothered about gambling companies being our shirt sponsors are busy cancelling your Sky and BT subscriptions in protest at all the gambling adverts they carry?

Thought not.

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Presumably all of you who are so bothered about gambling companies being our shirt sponsors are busy cancelling your Sky and BT subscriptions in protest at all the gambling adverts they carry?

Thought not.

No, just as I'm not cancelling my membership at Norwich either.

You don't have to boycott to object.

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Telling someone with an addiction disorder to ‘get some willpower’ is like telling someone with depression to ‘pull yourself together and cheer up’. 

I dont think I've seen anyone tell anyone on here to get some willpower.

Equally though, if someone has an addiction disorder then seeing a betting company logo on NCFC shirts isnt going to make a jot of difference. 

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

No, just as I'm not cancelling my membership at Norwich either.

You don't have to boycott to object.

You're right, of course. I'm just tired of all the bleeding hearts responding like this is something new and despicable. Football and gambling have been inexorably linked for many, many years - clearly the demographic that attends football matches or watches on tv is one the gambling companies target;  but I suspect any shirt sponsor from any industry would still attract people who didn't feel "comfortable".

I am afraid its simply a case of - if you can't beat them, join them. If you are a cynical "very old supporter" like me, you will not take a blind bit of notice of a "selling advert" anyway. Most of them will also be misleading.

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Telling someone with an addiction disorder to ‘get some willpower’ is like telling someone with depression to ‘pull yourself together and cheer up’. 

Bethnal, if that is a reply to my post what I said was ""...part of me thinks that if punters get in too deep that is entirely their fault. Whatever happened to willpower?"

No part of me would ever say that to someone suffering from depression, which is well-established as having genuine biological, social and psychological causes. Any day of the week it is possible to read heart-breaking stories of suicides by people who seemingly had golden futures ahead of them.

I do not pretend to be an expert, far from it, but it does not seem so clear to me that there are such well-established causes for people to start gambling too heavily for their own good (although there seem to be some biological changes that occur ONCE someone has gone down that path). Certainly not in all cases. I assume, for example, that some punters keep on betting because they convince themselves that the next big flutter will be the one to recoup all their losses.

• Like 1