Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Leo Vegas......now dafabet

So we now have dafabet (whoever they are).

Betting companies are part of football and everyday life - it's everywhere........does that make it right?   Betting is a bit like drinking and smoking, it's addictive, people do it too much and it ruins lives, families and health.   Ben Kensell says that making extra money in our self sustained club is key to our progress and that getting as much money as possible from memberships and sponsorship is important.

I don't know.  It seems as if any kind of money is acceptable from wherever it comes from. Screw the fans, lack of morals when it comes to shirt sponsorsdhip......where next...sell the grandmother?  

I know, I'm old fashioned, but I would much prefer that betting was not promoted so obviously everywhere. Just because dafabet are "global" does not make them desireable.....all it means is they have made l;oads of money out of people world wide, often poor people.  

Is betting still an issue that we should be concerned about.....of course it is. 

i wonder what will be next to become ok to advertise freely....... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given that we'd already crossed the Rubicon with Leo Vegas, presumably this was simply a financial decision to sell to the highest bidder.

Well, booze and cigarette advertising on sports shirts, cars etc. has been banned for some time now. Will they take the same step with gambling...? I doubt it.

I actually have no qualms with a betting company sponsoring us and I am fully behind our decision to make money in whatever way we can (although I realise the membership thing is polarising). It's true what they're saying. We're pinching pennies and any lucrative revenue streams should be welcomed.

This likely won't have an impact on the footballing side as I doubt they'll be using the sponsorship money to buy players. However, what people seem to forget about a lot of the time is the astronomical costs a football club has day to day and, well, just in even opening the gates on a match day. It isn't simply about buying players and paying wages... Sometimes I feel that football supporters overlook some of these facts.

Edited by BobLoz3

I think this would look amazing - how much extra do you think they'd pay? 😅

CARROW ROAImage result for dafabet logo

Genuinely can we keep the softcore **** to the one thread? Some of us like to view this forum on our breaks at work and I'm currently unsure as to what thread I can open in the office without risking some uncomfortable questions.

It really isn't too much to ask.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I still can't figure out why there's such a hoo-ha about betting companies sponsoring football teams yet nobody bats an eyelid about alcohol brands. 

Do many booze brands sponsor shirts these days?

I guess there is the questionable tactics these firms use to exploit problem gamblers. 

Leovegas for example made the news twice in the last year or so for getting into trouble with the Gambling Commission.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Do many booze brands sponsor shirts these days?

I guess there is the questionable tactics these firms use to exploit problem gamblers. 

Leovegas for example made the news twice in the last year or so for getting into trouble with the Gambling Commission.

Not nowadays no because gambling companies are monopolising the market. But there have been plenty the past.

For what it's worth, I'm not a huge lover of betting companies sponsoring every club under the sun. I used to be a betting shop manager so I've seen people suffer, and I agree that the companies are very hypocritical. They push everything they can to squeeze every penny out of the addicts, while pretending to care about responsible gambling.

But are alcohol and cigarette companies any better? I don't think so. Yet they didn't get anywhere the amount of criticism when they advertise.

18 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

It makes financial sense, so no need for pant wetting.

So money is ok wherever it comes from?

Edited by lake district canary

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Not nowadays no because gambling companies are monopolising the market. But there have been plenty the past.

For what it's worth, I'm not a huge lover of betting companies sponsoring every club under the sun. I used to be a betting shop manager so I've seen people suffer, and I agree that the companies are very hypocritical. They push everything they can to squeeze every penny out of the addicts, while pretending to care about responsible gambling.

But are alcohol and cigarette companies any better? I don't think so. Yet they didn't get anywhere the amount of criticism when they advertise.

Cigarette companies are banned so that may explain the lack of criticism.

I'd say alcohol companies are probably a bit better than gambling companies though. Take the free bet offers- I've not seen any beer companies advertising 'buy £30 in pints and £10 in free pints!'

Gambling advertisinghas become almost impossible to ignore in football- shirt sponsors, hoardings, kiosks in grounds, wall to wall advertising on Sky & BT, live odds read out mid commentary on Talksport, stand sponsorship etc etc. Outside of consuming the entirety of your football via 5Live you're struggling to avoid it. I'm not anti gambling but I don't like how inescapable within football.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Certainly in the case of alcohol companies, the truth is that far more people like a drink (even if it's just a single glass of wine or quick pint) than people regularly gamble or smoke.

If you asked 20 people, around 3-4 of them would likely be smokers (often depending on area of the country), probably a few more than that would gamble (which is higher because of things like the National Lottery etc), but I'd expect at least 15+ of the 20 to say that they have a drink at least once a week in some form or another.

Sadly, the more people do something, the more socially acceptable it appears to become regardless of the implications this can have. We spend millions each year dealing with drink related crime and injury, not to mention hospital care for people with drinking related problems, yet there are pretty much NO restrictions on people getting totally slaughtered (note the more recent 'binge drinking' issues), and nobody seems to bat an eyelid.

Interesting to note that there's not been a single death directly attributed to use of Cannabis (i.e. somebody smoked too much of it and died) yet this is an illegal substance, whereas Alcohol has caused innumerable problems over hundreds of years, but as long as you're 18 then you're good to go! If we'd only just discovered Alcohol, it would undoubtedly be a banned substance, but far too many people (including those in global governments) like a drink so the whole issue gets ignored, all whilst people are moaning about a club shirt having a betting companies logo on it...

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd say alcohol companies are probably a bit better than gambling companies though. Take the free bet offers- I've not seen any beer companies advertising 'buy £30 in pints and £10 in free pints!'

Alcohol companies offer a completely different product to betting companies, in the sense that they offer a physical product which costs money to produce. Betting companies know that the money will be recycled and most offers make you play through the money a certain amount of times before it can be withdrawn, I believe.

6 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Certainly in the case of alcohol companies, the truth is that far more people like a drink (even if it's just a single glass of wine or quick pint) than people regularly gamble or smoke.

If you asked 20 people, around 3-4 of them would likely be smokers (often depending on area of the country), probably a few more than that would gamble (which is higher because of things like the National Lottery etc), but I'd expect at least 15+ of the 20 to say that they have a drink at least once a week in some form or another.

Sadly, the more people do something, the more socially acceptable it appears to become regardless of the implications this can have. We spend millions each year dealing with drink related crime and injury, not to mention hospital care for people with drinking related problems, yet there are pretty much NO restrictions on people getting totally slaughtered (note the more recent 'binge drinking' issues), and nobody seems to bat an eyelid.

Interesting to note that there's not been a single death directly attributed to use of Cannabis (i.e. somebody smoked too much of it and died) yet this is an illegal substance, whereas Alcohol has caused innumerable problems over hundreds of years, but as long as you're 18 then you're good to go! If we'd only just discovered Alcohol, it would undoubtedly be a banned substance, but far too many people (including those in global governments) like a drink so the whole issue gets ignored, all whilst people are moaning about a club shirt having a betting companies logo on it...

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'd rather not have a betting company as the club's main sponsor but I just don't like the fact that they get a much harder time than alcohol brands or even pissing McDonald's.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

I didn't say that did I. There practically isn't a premier club that doesn't have a betting company as their official sponsor. NCFC has to do what makes sound commercial sense and have already stated the sponsor wont be on junior shirts. I cant really see an issue with this and the whole push back. You can only really take the moral high ground if we become profitable enough to choose opt out of using betting companies. That may well be a long way off. In the meantime we need to generate as much money from sponsors, whomever they maybe

Alcohol is probably THE most damaging drug out there. Totally understand what you're saying, Indy and also with regards to cannabis which I believe should be legal and is far less damaging.

The issue is that alcohol is freely available (in that it's available everywhere) and not hugely expensive. So people consume it at a ridiculous level if they have an addiction. I have a good friend, who became completely unknown to me for some time as he was hugely addicted to booze. It was actually soul destroying to see what a mess he became. Just a constant stream of lies spilling out of his mouth and he couldn't even speak straight half the time, such was the effect of the amount he was drinking.

Another person known to me through friends recently died because of his alcoholism. He was about 34 years old. Destroyed himself with it.

So, as much as we all like a drink let's not try and pretend that gambling is as damaging to ones health as booze is. This is why I said earlier on that it makes sense that alcohol companies aren't allowed to sponsor sports teams anymore. Ok, we might not go, "I'm gonna drink Foster's now as they sponsor our shirt" but those companies would undoubtedly then have various other brand activation things going on which WOULD have one sole purpose... To get people drinking their product!

The irony of all this is that I work in the drinks industry! However, everything we do promotes responsible drinking and it is the same for alcohol companies. They have to do that. Gambling companies also try and promote responsible gambling. It is a very thin line to tread, admittedly

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

Happy Hour?

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Alcohol companies offer a completely different product to betting companies, in the sense that they offer a physical product which costs money to produce. Betting companies know that the money will be recycled and most offers make you play through the money a certain amount of times before it can be withdrawn, I believe.

I think the sheer accessibility of online gambling now means there should be a much greater onus on those companies responsibilities. Just sitting on my sofa I could easily open numerous betting accounts and spaff huge sums without getting up. 

1 minute ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Happy Hour?

I'm not saying alchohol companies are good guys or don't have issues. 

But for a happy hour you at least need to get up, find a pub with one and go there. For free bets I don't need to leave my sofa.

3 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

The issue is that alcohol is freely available (in that it's available everywhere) and not hugely expensive. 

Come and live in Reykjavík! :classic_laugh:

not cheap, only one state run chain of off licenses. Actually, beer was banned here until 1989

Sorry to hear about your friend, Alcohol can be a ****

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

The irony of all this is that I work in the drinks industry! However, everything we do promotes responsible drinking and it is the same for alcohol companies. They have to do that. Gambling companies also try and promote responsible gambling. It is a very thin line to tread, admittedly

As a I said before, I used to work in the gambling industry and I'm not convinced by that. They promote responsible gambling because they legally have to- they agree to do it in order to avoid stricter regulations from the government. But honestly, do they care about responsible gambling when there's profit to be made? Not a chance. They push every product they have as much as they can without breaching the responsible gambling laws.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think the sheer accessibility of online gambling now means there should be a much greater onus on those companies responsibilities. Just sitting on my sofa I could easily open numerous betting accounts and spaff huge sums without getting up. 

Alcohol isn't exactly hard to come across. You have to go to the supermarket, for example, and booze is extremely accessible there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not saying alchohol companies are good guys or don't have issues. 

But for a happy hour you at least need to get up, find a pub with one and go there. For free bets I don't need to leave my sofa.

True enough

Although I believe that those crazy slot machines they have in the bookies are just as bad, if not worse. Hasn´t the UK government just reduced the amount that can be spent on those things?

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As a I said before, I used to work in the gambling industry and I'm not convinced by that. They promote responsible gambling because they legally have to- they agree to do it in order to avoid stricter regulations from the government. But honestly, do they care about responsible gambling when there's profit to be made? Not a chance. They push every product they have as much as they can without breaching the responsible gambling laws.

Totally. I understand that for sure. But no companies can exist and run at a loss! That's capitalism, my friends!

Nope. They don't care about the end user so much. They are businesses after all and have to make money. I'm not much of a gambler... Never really won anything when I've tried! But I am from the coast and grew up working in arcades and stuff like that. So I've also seen some people spend money they didn't really have spare on fruit machines. The rush comes from that one win you have here and there that you feel has made up for the losses.

Problem is, it never really does!

So I do get it. But I don't think that a shirt will influence ones gambling preferences. If someone has a problem with that, they don't need encouraging! They'll do it anyway.

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

You could just as easily order 24 cans and a litre of Vodka for online delivery through a supermarket (and some local shops offer this as well), but we're not castigating Tesco et al for offering the service.

I can order ridiculous amounts of food online as well for that matter, and nobody is going to tell KFC that they need to be more responsible in providing endless chicken to customers.

On both of these services I could spaff huge sums without getting up, but neither would be getting the hassle that the betting companies are.

Just as a side note, I don't gamble much beyond a weekly Lotto ticket and the occasional quid or two on the footy if the mood takes me, so it's not like I'm some gambling obsessed fan who's defending their enjoyment with this stance, I just don't see how a shirt logo became Pandora's Box.

Edited by Indy_Bones
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

So I do get it. But I don't think that a shirt will influence ones gambling preferences. If someone has a problem with that, they don't need encouraging! They'll do it anyway.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about betting companies, I think this is the absolute bottom line when it comes to Dafabet sponsoring Norwich City Football Club.

• Like 1

Absolutely no issue with gambling companies sponsoring clubs / shirts or whatever. Major part of the football economy and a big player in it. Sounds like we got a great deal too.

• Like 1