Sign in to follow this  
Boycemcfly3

New Kit???

32 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

It all comes down to personal choice and self-control, some people display far less control and are more easily influenced than others, but it's up to them to learn how to exercise control rather than demanding that adverts be banned, and blaming all and sundry for their own failures.

Exactly, some people have less control, are more easily influenced and so therefore will be affected by simple advertising such as on football shirts.

Simply telling them to learn how to exercise control is far too idealistic and just plain short sighted. It’s more complex than that hence the numerous debate that surrounds it and that have gone on for many years. However I don’t feel debating this point with you will get anywhere as you’ve made your view clear and unfortunately it is one shared by far too many that continue to miss the point.

That's fine Zac, people can agree to disagree but I'm not "missing the point".

If we followed the logic through to it's most extreme end, ANY advertising would be banned for fear of causing people to develop an addiction to something which leads to financial ruin and potential personal distress or even loss of life.

Gambling and Alcohol addiction are emotive subjects, people (including myself) have seen the direct damage they can cause, but despite this, I still don't blame the companies behind them for advertising their products. I feel extremely sorry for the people who have become addicted and the consequences this has caused, but I also think to myself - why didn't they seek professional help to combat their addiction before it was too late?

I know mental health services are not the most accessible at times in the UK on the NHS, nor are they often as well funded as they need to be and sometimes even carry an unfair stigma, but I also tend to think that if someone has £100 to blow on a day-long drinking session every day, then they have £100 to pay for professional help - the problem is getting them to make that choice instead of going to the pub or the bookies, and that's often where you need a strong group of friends or family members to keep encouraging them to do so (which isn't always the case), but that also shouldn't mean that the other 95% (or whatever figure it may be) of people who are able to say "No" should have to accept a ban on advertising because of it.

The official guidelines for alcohol advertising on TV are:

"Ads for alcoholic drinks must not feature, imply, condone or encourage irresponsible or immoderate drinking. "

Similarly, adverts for gambling:

"Marketing communications must not portray, condone or encourage gambling behaviour that is socially irresponsible or could lead to financial, social or emotional harm"

With that in mind, in what way does having a shirt sponsor break this code? NCFC isn't saying that people should go onto LeoVegas and spend all their cash, the players aren't constantly encouraging people to place bets on matches or spend a fortune on online fruit machines either. The gambling companies are simply saying "If you fancy a bet, why not try us instead of the competition?", they may offer free bet incentives or similar to encourage people to do so (which is no different than food places giving out free samples, or sofa companies seemingly ALWAYS having a sale on), but they're absolutely not encouraging irresponsible, reckless or financially damaging gambling - unless you want to make the claim that ALL gambling fits these criteria?

So where do we draw the line? Will Pukka Pies be the next target for encouraging irresponsible pie consumption? Will Coca-Cola be banned for reckless promotion of sugary drinks. I know, it sounds ridiculous and as though I'm taking things to a silly extreme to make a nonsensical point, but that really is the natural progression if we're saying that advertising is responsible for an individual's choices - poor or otherwise.

FWIW Coca-Cola isn't banned in New York but "supersized" servings were for exactly the reason it was encouraging over-consumption of sugary drinks and contributed to a rise in obesity and diabetes. (The courts in New York later struck the ruling down) 

Never mind when it is being launched, how much tax will Mr Kensell levy on the price from last year ? 😉

5 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

I know mental health services are not the most accessible at times in the UK on the NHS, nor are they often as well funded as they need to be and sometimes even carry an unfair stigma, but I also tend to think that if someone has £100 to blow on a day-long drinking session every day, then they have £100 to pay for professional help - the problem is getting them to make that choice instead of going to the pub or the bookies, and that's often where you need a strong group of friends or family members to keep encouraging them to do so (which isn't always the case), but that also shouldn't mean that the other 95% (or whatever figure it may be) of people who are able to say "No" should have to accept a ban on advertising because of it.

To copy you a little here "by this logic": we wouldn't need many, many regulatory laws. The simple fact is this world is no longer survival of the fittest, and good thing for many. 

Laws like this are set up to protect the most vulnerable of us in society. By what you've said here. Like you, lets take it to the extreme on the other side -

- why am I forced go adhere to speed limits? I'm a responsible driver. I, myself, was hit by a speeding car when I was 7 and it snapped my femur in half (truth). I know both the potential consequences of driving too fast, and the caution needed when you see pedestrians both in the road and on the path. So what's the point of limiting my speed to snailspace when going through residential and commercial areas? The answer is pretty simple. We as people can't be trusted. We're too self involved and obsessed to be trusted to do whats right, even with laws and regulations. People would abuse/take advantage of it, and drive recklessly for trivial things (when compared to the welfare of others) such as being late for working or needing a pi**.

In this situation, companies are the drivers, and consumers are everyone and anyone that you can injure in this faux, speedlimit free world. It's all well and good to say these people need to want to seek help, and there is certainly truth to that. But that's not the deciding factor here. The human brain when it comes to dopamine isn't that simple.

Edited by Redders Right Foot
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

FWIW Coca-Cola isn't banned in New York but "supersized" servings were for exactly the reason it was encouraging over-consumption of sugary drinks and contributed to a rise in obesity and diabetes. (The courts in New York later struck the ruling down) 

FWIW whenever I see something like this I'm reminded of a fantastic scene from a Gem called 'Parks and Rec' https://youtu.be/Ish8NBunrQU

The psychology of gambling is nefarious. 

I like a punt, and sometimes do get a little carried away (spending more than I meant to), but I, luckily, have the ability to reel myself in before it becomes detrimental. However, it would be very easy for me to "slip" in a big way.

I get that advertising does not in itself promote dangerous gambling behaviours, but it does, in a sense, normalise the behaviour that can lead someone to those behaviours. Imagine, if you will, someone who has had their live wrecked by compulsive gambling, does everything they can to remove themselves from temptation, but then goes to the game to see it splattered all over their team's shirt and ground advertising boards. It must be a nightmare.

I have seen second hand (luckily not first) how gambling can destroy a family, as a good friend of mine's brother lost everything: his job, his home, his family. By all accounts one of the last people you would think would succumb. Gambling addiction, more than any other, is nefarious because it is so easy to hide. There are none of the physical symptoms that are associated with any other addiction, and when they are finally found out, it is because their life is in ruins (or worse).

For me, gambling companies should not be able to advertise so pervasively in sports. Like tobacco and alcohol, they can ruin people's lives. And just like those two vices the behaviour is so intrinsically linked to the industry (perhaps even more so).  It associates an activity you are passionate about with one that is addictive and is specifically designed to heighten your investment from emotional to financial. And it is a high when not only does your team win, but because they won to nil and Teemu Pukki scored and they were level at half time, you have also won a bundle of cash to go with it (yes, this really happened).

I can attest that gambling can suck you in, and if you are not careful, can destroy your life. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CanaryNath said:

Thought LeoVegas had one more year?

I believe we had the option to sever the deal early in the event of promotion. I'd also heard Dafabet.

20 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

My source is pretty reliable.

The new home shirt is yellow!

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Harry53 said:

As a new fan i will buy this season's home shirt but really hope the main sponsor is not a betting company. I loath all these betting companies encouraging fans to get into debt.

I like the fact that it's colour matched to enhance the shirt, the way Lotus did on the away kit back in the day.

As for being a betting company, the Pink Un reported that they are paying considerably more than other industries.

A tiny bit disappointed but not surprised at all - in the interview they suggest that you need to be sponsored by these brands to compete with the deals other clubs have... And while I would obviously be happier to be sponsored by an industry that does not frustrate me so much, it is hard to argue with their reasoning.

I will not choose to buy one myself, but hope the kit looks good nonetheless. Leovegas did not hamper my enjoyment of last season in the slightest and defabet won't hamper my enjoyment of next season.

• Like 1

From a moral standpoint I have no issue with having a betting company on the shirt- on an average trip to the city you'll probably be subject to offers from Coral, you'll see ads for William Hill in the pub, watch the TV and Ray Winston will be bloking you into betting on the next goalscorer, and a host of others. There are greater forces at work than Norwich City's football shirts.

From an objective design perspective, the Dafabet logo is slim can be made to work with club colours which almost always results in a better look. 

Errea have been throwing almost entirely bespoke designs at us for a few years now, so where we would usually try and guess what it will be, it feels a little futile this year. But for fun, these are what I have my Football Manager side playing in:

117954848_Away21-22.png.5892a88e5e0991d1f8f23a5ad5e5c139.png1900554465_Home21-22.png.d3395e56c495fe96d273974346fb0149.png1794255127_Third21-22.png.0ea3e67eabd82c9625213e4cec7a53fc.png

• Like 1

I like the fact the logo doesn't have a different background colour to the rest of the shirt, should make a massive difference.

More than happy to a betting company to be advertised, they're a significant contributor to the economy of football and sounds like we've managed to get a really good deal from them.

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

we've managed to get a really good deal from them.

That's the most important part, don't care if it's a betting firm or Colman's giving us a good deal....

• Like 1

It doesn't bother me. It's hard to find a large brand which is harmless. I've got Primark on my shirts and fast fashion poisons the environment. 

But this might be a gateway into the gambling crazy far East where yellow is a lucky colour. If we are successful it could lead to further interest. 

Will the kid’s shirts also have Dafabet as the sponsor, or will it be like this past season with a different sponsor for the little kits?

tough one.......I don’t really want my 6 year old son running around with betting company branding on his top almost every day (and yes, he will likely wear it almost every day!!) but in his eyes, he wants to wear the same shirt as his heroes.

Just now, CanaryNath said:

Will the kid’s shirts also have Dafabet as the sponsor, or will it be like this past season with a different sponsor for the little kits?

tough one.......I don’t really want my 6 year old son running around with betting company branding on his top almost every day (and yes, he will likely wear it almost every day!!) but in his eyes, he wants to wear the same shirt as his heroes.

It's Gravity again for the kids.

It HAS to be a non-gambling, non-alcohol and similar industry for any under 18 promotions/clubwear AFAIK due to regulations in the industry (which is absolutely a good thing for that age grouping).

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's Gravity again for the kids.

I know some kids who are not happy, as it's not like the shirt the players wear