Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Best Promoted XI

Is it fair that Farke is consistently ignored in favour of Chris Wilder? This video joins the list in doing that, yet what Farke has done is remarkable, after a poor season last season and high turnover of players with little outlay and the fans on his back at the start of the season. Why is he not given the credit he deserves?

6 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Is it fair that Farke is consistently ignored in favour of Chris Wilder? This video joins the list in doing that, yet what Farke has done is remarkable, after a poor season last season and high turnover of players with little outlay and the fans on his back at the start of the season. Why is he not given the credit he deserves?

Because he's not Mr Sheffield. 

8 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Don't know why people get so wound up about this, smacks of little old Norwich wanting a pat on the back from the media. We know what Farke has achieved and if either him or Wilder or both keep their respective teams up next season they will have really achieved something outstanding. To be fair to Wilder he has moved the club he supports up two leagues after a period of dormancy. You have to a acknowledge this is both a good story and a significant achievement.

• Like 1

It doesn’t smack of that at all - it smacks far more of Farke being overlooked as he’s not British/English.  Our side came through largely unexpectedly and won the title - for the manager/head coach of such a side to be so consistently overlooked is rather weird. Of course Wilder did a good job, but he finished second.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It doesn’t smack of that at all - it smacks far more of Farke being overlooked as he’s not British/English.  Our side came through largely unexpectedly and won the title - for the manager/head coach of such a side to be so consistently overlooked is rather weird. Of course Wilder did a good job, but he finished second.

In terms of achievement there is not much differences between first and second, both clubs are in the Prem. Constantly wanting a pat on the back for our players/manager smacks of lack of confidence and looks a bit needy

Both Teams started with zero points, only one became Champions, anything else doesn't matter. I'm sure Daniel isn't going to lose sleep over it. 

I don’t think anyone anywhere is losing any sleep about it, but it is nonetheless a little odd for the most successful manager - ie the one who finished top - to be overlooked so consistently.  If BigFish can’t see/agree this I feel that it is his/her problem.

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t think anyone anywhere is losing any sleep about it, but it is nonetheless a little odd for the most successful manager - ie the won who finished top - to be overlooked so consistently.  If BigFish can’t see/agree this I feel that it is his/her problem.

That isn't always the case, though. Man City finished top of the Premier League in each of the last two seasons, but you can make a case for other managers doing better jobs based on the fact that they have fewer resources and lower expectations.

This isn't the case with Farke and Wilder though: I'd say they started off the season on a similar footing. Ultimately you could make a case for either of them being manager of the year as the jobs they did were both equally fantastic.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t think anyone anywhere is losing any sleep about it, but it is nonetheless a little odd for the most successful manager - ie the won who finished top - to be overlooked so consistently.  If BigFish can’t see/agree this I feel that it is his/her problem.

Maybe no one is losing sleep about this, however this gripe does seem a recurring theme amongst a percularly sensitive section of out support. This seems to be less my problem and more theirs. Farke gets credit, particularly within football, for what he has achieved though in a purely subjective arena of opinion the Wilder story is more interesting to those without Canary vision goggles. Even then the majority of supporters in the country are not particularly interested in either of them.

I think it is probably true that Wilder gets the nod because he is English. Our game is dominated by foreign managers and I think first sniff of an Englishman and the media love it.

But it doesn't matter a hoot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

We were in the Premier League a few seasons ago, they were in League 1. Most don't seem to know our actual situation.

You mean the situation where we’d sold most of our best players to make ends meet and relied very much on youngsters and freebies?  The relative expectation at each club was certainly not that we’d be promoted, whereas the Sheff U fan I know reckons there was definitely an expectation of play- offs or better for them.  It is what it is though - ultimately, who cares, we all have an opinion.

The other factor to consider in Wilder is responsible for everything at Sheffield United, whereas Farke just has to coach. So there is an element of him deserving more credit for recognising the potential of David McGoldrick or Oliver Norwood than there is for Farke with Pukki and Buendia.

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Farke didn't play with a revolutionary tactical system using overlapping centre-backs. Half serious, half joking.

https://www.footballdna.co.uk/features/sheffield-united-3-5-2-attacking-overlapping-centre-backs/

It's certainly been refreshing this season tactics wise. Our 4-2-3-1 system was a welcome improvement on our unatisfactory 3 at the back system. Our system relies so much on having Jamal and Max though and we need to make sure whoever plays back up to them are capable of doing what they do. Dont know enough about Heise, certainly Husband (if he's not off) I doubt can do this. Not sure with Pinto gone who is our back up right-back?

Sheff Utd's system is refreshing, the overlapping centre-backs must make man-marking very difficult. Will be interesting to see if he sticks with this approach in the Prem and if he does, how well it fares I have similar concerns about our own system in that if Max and Jamal are defending more, will they still be able to provide our width like they did last season, and without width, will we be ineffective up front?

Leeds I didnt follow too closely. Have been a big fan of Bielsa's 3-3-1-3 system since I saw him use it with Bilbao, though Im not too sure how much Leeds actually played like that this season. Bielsa tactically however is revolutionary, so it's great so have seen something a bit different in the championship from the top sides this season