Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

worthy lost us the match today.

"It puts too much pressure on young players introducing them and expecting too much, remember Hendo? He came in the team, made a few mistakes and he''s the antichrist all of a sudden, it''s taking him a long time to get over being booed by fickle fans"

what a load of rubbish he brought hendo in and played him as a right midfielder where he has had one good game against millwasll or someone a couple of years ago!!! and yes he has been pretty poor thnere ever time played there since.

Its not hendo''s fault he can only get a game at right mid!!

Lack of an adequately sized squad is down to the manager.

I saw effort from the players but no ball playing ability.  Preston were the better side as they dominated a poor city midfield containing a misplaced powerhouse, an injured holding midfielder and one then two defenders in a 3 man midfield.

Like most systems the 4-3-3 was working because we had players that suited it - the 3 men sent out yesterday were lambs to the slaughter and lead to no passing and a long ball game that suited none of our three threatening forwards.  Poor use of resources and inadequate planning for an attritional league over a tough 46 games that seems to have taken no one but the management by surprise.

OTBC 

I don''t think anybody was blameless.

Our expectations were high although deep down we all knew that other than Southampton and Sheff Utd we''d been fortunate to win 5 in a row, whereas 4 weeks ago we knew that PNE would beat us.

The squad is heavily depleted, down to Nigel''s, "barebones" as usual and whilst you can sympathise it is ultimately his and the board''s fault that we bought so lightly and poorly in the summer and let too many go so lightly and poorly in the summer, Helveg and Jonson in midfield on Monday, yes please. Also why are so many injured?

Those who played may have been tired, poor things, but Colin and Dixon surely chose to be that clueless however out of sorts or position they were, McVeigh, Ashton and Huckerby never clicked as a 2 out of 3 let alone all 3 at once and looked like they were going through the motions. Drury and Robinson got injured and Worthy brought on Brennan who looked hopeless in all senses of the word and poor bloody Thorne and Henderson who as usual are brought on either out of position or with no clear instructions. The one man who should have been on, Jarvis, was left on the bench. So crap players playing crappier and good players not playing well or playing out of position or not playing at all, i.e Jarvis.

The referee didn''t stamp on the time wasting but if he had and PNE had got on with it we could have lost 5-0. They were a good side against a tired, injured, out of position, uninterested team. The question is why?  

Rudolph,

I agree with your main points and that obviously the recent run has highlighted our underperformance in previous games. I just think that we are all being a little hasty in condemning them all again after just one awful performance. Things may look very different (for better or worse) in two weeks after the next league game (I, like you, am concerned that cup game may be a disaster), but lets give everything time to settle and reflect on a very respectable haul over a congested fixture list. I also think that what you point out as being a lack of interest from players could also be interpreted as just being plain knackered!

With respect to getting quality on board, I really think that a fit Robinson will be a useful addition as he undoubtedly makes us more likely to get the ball down and avoid the constant long ball rubbish that started as soon as he was forced off yesterday. This same point is essential in determining Ashton''s desire to stay or leave - if it isn''t already decided..  

I didn''t see effort, I saw physical lethargy and mental laziness. If Etuhu (an imposing physical specimen, judged purely from appearances) can be described as "a lamb to the slaughter", then you have funny sheep round your way, ZLF. He has no excuses - he hasn''t had to cope with the schedule that Doc, Drury, Charlton, Mcveigh and Ashton have had. And the major, in fact the only, reason that we had the 5 wins was because McVeigh, Ashton and Huckerby did click. When we had chances we took them, thanks to them, even against the run of play. It was the sole reason for sticking with 4-3-3.

A leg of lamb around here can feed an army for a week - isnt that normal Old Boy??? [6]

As I posted elsewhere my impression of Etuhus performance was not a lack of effort more a lack of understanding of what his role was within the side - too often he seemed to be out of position so could have no impact rather than not putting in the effort - so often he was see running to where the ball or space had just been.   One thing I have not seen from a worthy side is a lack of effort - ability yes - effort no.   If  your and others saw no effort then fair enough I will happily be in the minority again ;-)  

I agree that the front 3 have clicked but that was on the basis that the excellent safri/robinson axis has given a stable platform to pass the ball to these three players feet.   yesterday that sort of service did not happen and with the chosen midfield was unlikely to do so in the 3 man midfield formation - thats just my opinion that for a 3 man midfield to work they need to be clear on that formation what there roles are and have the skills to make a 3 man midfield  work.  Ball retention is all the more important with an out numbered 3 man midfield so putting a greater burden on good passing - once Robinson left none of the3 has passing as their strong suit.

OTBC