Sign in to follow this  
rich

missing the point

A new striker is all well and good but the more I see of the club I''m convinced that we could have ruud up front and he''d struggle. Asides from mcveigh and francis the creativity in this team is appalling and that''s something we need to address. Especially with rivers out.

I would have thought james milner would have been a perfect loan signing.

anyone got any ideas for creative players we could pick up

When you look at our midfield, we have most of the attributes we need: Players who can pass, some who can win the ball, at last we have someone to make runs from deep into the area, and we have players who can run with the ball - oh, and we actually have left footed players on the left hand side. However, the one attribute we really miss is anyone who can cross the ball. Steen was the best we had, but he missed half the season, and now we haven''t replaced him. True, we haven''t seen Brennan yet, but rumour has it that his crossing is not his strongest point. We get the ball wide often enough, we just need someone who can then pick out a striker running into the box from there. I wonder if Notman would be up to it? With Rivers out for a bit, it could be time to try it...

Indeedy, I agree rich. I remember going to watch games through the late 80s and early 90'' and City would press forward onto teams and carve out thirteen or fourteen clear cut and well create chances. Now we are treated to a couple of scrambles and a few lumps into the box. It almost seems strange that we are still touted as a neat passing side when we can all see the lack of creativity and the inability to retain possession regularly during each game.

On the subject of Crouchy, seems like there is a real lack of young quality strikers that we could attract to the club (now) with suitable experience. Although he have not played for Villa in any great capacity, he has a big price tag, was an under-21 (mind you so was Paul Dalglish) and has the premiership pedigree that could make others raise their game.

Dalglish was a Scottish u-21, don''t get them too mixed up. I think England u-21''s would walk over Scotlands full team with the state of scottish football in the last few years.

At the start of the season I would have agreed with you Rich.

However the introduction of Francis into the centre of the park has given us an extra dimension. This together with the excellent form McVeigh is in has meant that we are actually dangerous from midfield for the first time in seasons because we have players getting forward and supporting the strikers, well, at home anyway. With Crouch to give extra weight to the front line I can see McVeigh getting more of the ball in more dangerous positions and finally getting the goals his recent displays have deserved.

Holt has improved and Rivers has continued the end of season run to the start of this, even if he can only last 70 mins a game - disgraceful in this day and age. The weak spot (Easton) remains left wing but Brennan has been signed to fill that gap. In addition we have started the season without our most incisive passer in Mulryne.

In the short term Notman can step in for Rivers so I have few concerns in midfield - it matches up to most Div 1 teams at the moment.

Crouch improves the front line - extra cover in defence is now needed to either move Malkay aside or as cover for when he gets injured/suspended.

With Edworthy, Francis and now Crouch this summers signings look sound - well done the club - now to turn it into points with some improved away results.

OTBC

No offence Zip, but Easton has done pretty well this season - 2 goals in 5 aint bad for a midfielder, so give the lad a chance.

Hi Mook

You are right to point out that Easton has scored 2 in 5 and he has played far better than in any of his appearances last season. It was not my intention to directly or indirectly criticise Easton in my post.

However I do feel that if we are looking to strengthen our midfield then I feel the weakest spot is wide left and not through the middle.

Francis has so far proved to be a good buy and has galvanised Holt to perform better and Mulryne can still give us a better passing edge than most midfielders in this division, if he is given a licence to attack. Rivers has the right berth sealed & I feel Notman gives us good cover without pressurising Hendo.

This only leaves the left wing and while Easton has done well this year we do have Brennan to come in, who I feel will give us more than Easton simply through pace if nothing else.

As such I feel our top priority now should be some cover for Laurel & Hardy in the centre of defence before they either get injured on suspended.

OTBC

Fair play, I can''t argue with that. And I agree entirely about centre-back cover. Malks and Flem look ropier now than they have ever looked before. Conceeding goals is one of the things we had under control in the last two seasons (unless we really got hammered) but we seem to have lost that control now.

who have we got at the moment if either Malkay and Flem aren''t available. I have not seen Shackell play but is that really all we have?

you say we need to strengthen but who is available?