Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

ANYONE ELSE TIRED AFTER 6 HOURS WORK IN EIGHT DAYS??

IT IS ASTOUNDING HOW THEY CONTINUE TO USE TIREDNESS AS AN EXCUSE! SOME OF THESE PRIMA DONNAS SHOULD GO AND DO A REAL JOB AND GET PAID £200 A WEEK INSTEAD OF £15K AND THEN THEY WILL KNOW WHAT TIRED IS! THEY DONT KNOW HOW LUCKY THEY ARE!

What a load of rubbish from Worthington in his after match interview.  The team were apparently tired after four games in eight days.  Sorry but I thought Reading Preston Leeds Palace etc also played four games in eight days. 

I wonder if the poor fatigued little high earning darlings, will struggle to get round the 18 holes even with a golf buggy! Bless ''em.......Maybe, having to despatch their Model partner''s or ''Stepford wifeys'' to the betting shop to put their money on a ''dead cert!''......"I''m so tired babe, can you get me a beer? There''s a darlin''"

I accept that the fixtures were compressed somewhat, but it''s the ''same'' for all the other squad''s in the ''Chumpionship''. Worthy was ''content'' at the start of the season - with the size and quality? of the current playing staff.....Loans and moans - as we stumbled through the the start of the season, didn''t the board/ management pre-empt or budget for the predictable injuries, African Nations Cup, etc etc? Bad planning I think, coupled with below par preparation.......No contingency plans, and stubborn refusal to blood the younger but capable members of the squad. I don''t ''buy'' the lack of funds issue - blah, blah, blah! We have 25.000 bums on seats at virtually every home game, Preston average 12.000, and strangely, they have a decent squad to amble through the season, and they''re possibly in the play-offs........ I am pleased we ''obtained'' 5 wins on the spin, but there are people responsible at this club for the size of the squad. Will the club be tired counting the dosh from the sale of the season tickets in February?

When I was in the military, (pull up a sandbag and gather round folks) we were on 12 to 14 hour shifts 7 days a week - whether on Live Operations or Exercise........and we certainly weren''t earning £12.000 a week. My choice to pursue that career path (also frequently working over Xmas and public holidays!) Footballer''s choose their career and should accept what the season throws up! The poor ickle waifs......it''s tuff at the top! ;~) 

Neil Adams on the radio - 4 games in 8 days is fine, no excuse. - an ex pro speaking - and thje worse player for us hadnt even played the 4 games.  In fact i think etuhu thought he was playinig for preston (or even man city again) no wonder he was confused!!

Let''s take Neil Adams'' word for it over people like Wenger, Fergie, Mourinho & Benitez shall we?  These people are still involved in the game, and even with their big squads they still say it''s too much football over a short period.  Don''t forget travelling time, training time & spending time with families over the festive period & all of a sudden the time disappears doesn''t it?  I''m not saying these guys aren''t lucky to be doing a job we''d all give our right arms to do, but I do think some people believe players fall asleep straight after a game and are awoken an hour before kick-off before the next game!! 

These may be valid points but comparing athletic occupations with regular work is just totally pointless. Following this logic, should Paula Radcliffe be able to win two marathons a day for 5 days a week. should Darren Campbell be able to sprint constantly for 40-60 hours per week. I won''t labour the point but come on....... 

Everyone complaining its too physical should watch the Tour de France at least once in their lives. Not the hard days, but to see how much they do on the rest days.

It is the weakest of weak excuses and amazingly they seem to be getting away with it  - must be the influence of 5 consecutive wins glossing over this performance.

I thought our regime meant we had one of the fittest squads in the league?

It was not exhaustion that beat us yesterday.  The effort was there. We lost due to a lack of quality midfielders that allowed their midfield 4 to have the run of the pitch going forward and restricting us to hopeful long balls that they defended comfortably.

Quality with players in correct postion was the foundation for our 5 game winning streak - effort can never substitute quality no matter what Wilkinson and his devotees may preach.

OTBC     

I think they have a valid point. To say it is merely 6 hours work is moronic.

I don''t think it compares to the tour de france, the exercise is more explosive and intense. I am not having ago at cyclists since I have huge respect and think they are the most impressive athletes of all. I can go on a bike for a few hours and feel fine the next day, but if i play a full 90 mins footy the recovery is more difficult. Looking at the size of our squad i can understand the problems with fatigue. Also, for the record Preston played 1 less game and that makes a massive difference. Be fair to them, 4 games in 8 days is hard on the body, has anyone tried it?

However, i''d do it for the money!

And another thing, since when has being a professional footballer been down to being "lucky", I think its more likely to be down to having the aptitude/ability and on top of this having the application to practice and stick at something enough to get near to the top of your profession, from an age when most of us are just beginning to notice girls/booze etc. They may be privileged but it is not just down to luck. To suggest it is just sounds like jealousy from those of us who don''t have these attributes.

Not too tired to go out in the City afterwards last night.

Mind you, I think I would feel like I needed a good night out after performing like that yesterday. 

Mac''s Perm - I know nurses and junior doctors who work flat out for 12 hours or are ''on call'' for many more hours. If they''re not ''on top of their game'', the consequences are more than losing a football match. Footballers at NCFC get paid more in a week than some of these people get paid in 6 months.

Professional footballers ARE privileged and any of them moaning about their lot should get their lazy backsides out of the game and do some proper work if they don''t like it.  

I can''t disagree with what you say, obviously, football is trivial compared with most occupations, probably why we all like to talk about it. They certainly do get paid disproportionately for the work that they do, no doubt. I''m just saying that I think that the fact is that yesterday we lost because most of our small squad was crocked or knackered. I''m not saying that its right or wrong, just that it seems to be a fact. I simply think that the demands of professional football means that in the space of 8 days, 4 games without adequate squad members to allow rotation is going to affect the stamina of the team. I was certainly not trying to compare the service they provide to that of the medical profession, just that rationally speaking, if they''re knackered, they''re knackered and hopefully they can get it back together with a couple of additions and a bit of a break. 

Not condoning it, just saying that there is no reason we can''t keep up the decent form with a couple of decent January additions. The crucial thing is Ashton, really.

when i put this post on i thought it would evoke argument! the thing about it is that to use this excuse of being tired is not on. yes they have done other things such as spend time training for 2 hours for 4 days but think about some of my colleagues who are defending the middle east and working 12 hours a day seven days a week and away from their loved ones! they work a damn sight harder than anything that a footballer does and they are proud to do it but do it WITHOUT moaning about being tired!

They know they are privelleged Link, all they are saying is injuries aren''t given enough time to heal & re-cuperate from 90 minutes of playing on heavy pitches & getting lumps kicked out of them.  And so what if they went out for a beer last night, how would you like to spend all Christmas/New Year without a beer?  THEY ARE HUMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a bit of a red herring to equate   your average Joe Bloggs   physical   output  at work  with that of a footballer !   90 minutes of  sudden  changes of direction   , screeching halts , tackle lunges ,  sudden sprints  etc  really does  add up to   acute stress on all the muscles , tendons and bone structures of the legs ,  90 minutes of this   punishment   would knacker  most  people , athletes or not ...  a two day interval allows no time for  recovery  , and so the legs  really do start to  give way !     basically , our legs aren`t built  to withstand  the punishment  that football gives them , look at this link ...

http://www.medecine-et-sante.com/gimages/muscles-membrinf.jpg

Thats a very  complex  structure !   the knees alone support the entire weight of the upper body , and its abused for 90 minutes !    the shrink might  tell the brain it can work miracles , but the legs will tell the brain  to shove it !   [:#]

Wow, thats interesting. Same muscles used in a 2 hour time trial ;)

The bit about them being out on the town after game #6 is very telling, if true (not to imply you''re wrong). If they''re really getting pulled in every direction physically, they need to recover as professionally as they train. If you''ve just worn yourself to the bone, the body doesnt need booze, loud music, and second hand smoke.

I should qualify my statements by saying I work in auto racing, and its the primary sport I follow. I am a ''casual'' football spectator in that regard. But I dont see football players in general being the hardcore commitmentholics I sometimes see in racing. Yeah Jenson Button is in the gossip pages far too often, but I have this impression the higher up the league chain the player is, the more they get distracted by the lifestyle surrounding it.

Whether right or wrong, it''s just that Norwich were not the only team called upon to play 4 games in 8 days, Sheded.

I repeat - Reading, for example, who were on an even bigger roll than us - did the same and won 5-1. We gave up within minutes (admittedly only effectively playing with 10 men, since Etuhu was invisible...) and lost 0-3. 

The result just speaks volumes for the team''s attitude, from Worthless downwards, at present.

Sad to say it, but the season looks well and truly over to me now ... Hello, mid-table mediocrity, if we''re lucky... [:(]

Of course stacking shelves at your local tesco has the same physical output over a shift as running 12kms, heading a ball dropping from 100feet 30 odd times per match, spirinting 3-400m, making countless tackles, changing direction a couple of hundred times, passing the ball numerous times over various distances, all while having extremely lacking support from so-called ''supporters'' who only began to sing when the preston player was injured.

And if you think you can do better, why not give it a go. Train yourself up to the skill level (most players could probably train to do most supporters jobs) get to the fitness level required, develop the mental skills that it takes to get to the top, prepare yourself for the abuse from those who say they are ''fans''. Then earn the bucks.

If you can achieve it then claim the right to criticise because you''ve gone thought it. Otherwise get out of your rose-spectacled world and realise when top-athletes have expended a lot of energy from competing at a high level for four out of eight days then they may just be telling you the truth as opposed to looking for sympathy.

Some claim that doctors have a hard time... ask yourself what a GP gets paid when they''ve done their rotations in hospitals (greater than 100k per year.. yes 2k a week) Dont hear many criticisms of them when they ONLY write prescriptions. The state pay their wages so we dont criticise unless we cant get a booking within 2 minutes of our nose running!

As for soldiers, do they complain, well its hardly good propaganda from a military man to claim that he is tired. Are they walking all day every day; yes and no. It is hard and they get decent money especially when on active service. Its probably easier now than it was 20, 40, 60 years ago. Technology is better, kit is lighter, wars are fought from the air and from aricraft carriers and warships.

And finally while we''re at it lets take too things into account if you went to the last 4 matches. Sheffield united and Leicester (heavy pitches) and Preston had one match less; they flew to their two away games also; Norwich bussed it to Sheffield on Xmas day and its hardly cash-wise to fly to Leicester from Norwich.

So all in all - the players do have a right to be tired, yesterday was the equivalent of a boxer who just completed 9 rounds suddenly being asked to figh another who just sat down for the previous 3 ''catching his breath''. Have any players or manager complained about Prestons non-playing - i didnt think so

They''re allowed to be tired, but they arent allowed to complain about it, or let it detract from the game when the same tiredness seemingly isnt affecting everyone else the same. I just see too much of a pass-the-blame mentality these days. There''s always something else to lean on instead of digging in and doing it.

They''re highly paid hobbyists, they need to maintain perspective on being stressed out or worn out. If you can''t take it do the honourable thing and remove yourself from the roster. The fixture list isn''t what makes them lose.

With the formation and the players out of position as we had yesterday I think we would have lost if we hadn''t played for a week.

Incidentally, I recommend Lucozade. It certainly keeps me going when I get tired at work.

I don''t think that 4 matches in 8 days can be so tiring for all the players. I play hockey at National League level and our fitness levels are very high. The matches may be 20 minutes shorter, but a damn sight faster. There are times when we play double headers - that is 2 matches over a weekend during league competition, sometimes not even able to go home and rest if you are unlucky to have 2 away games, and that isn''t bad at all as long as nobody picks up an injury. But, when you get to tournaments or indoor hockey weekends, it is another matter. Try playing 4 matches in 2 days (plus 2 more if you make the semis and the final). It is serious competition, not a half pace game, and by the end you are totally wasted. It isn''t uncommon to play another league match maybe 2 or 3 days later, but by then we are all fine. I really don''t believe that footballers can be very physically tired from the games, although I can understand the bumps or slight strains that they pick up.

P.S. Rudolph - Isostar is another good isotonic drink and cheaper per litre as it''s in powder form. If anyone wants the cheapest and possibly most effective hangover cure, those drinks are it (the still ones only though).....alternatively you can make it by using glucose, table salt and baking soda mixed into 500ml of sugar-free fruit juice concentrate and tap water. Thats all the commercial versions are!

Russ, you seem to like comparing the two sports (cycling and footy), I think this is wrong. Yes you do use some of the same muscles in cyling as in football but to far different extents. If you have tried running and cyling you would realise this! I alternate between the two simply because it allows certain muscles to rest whilst you are working on others. Just because you use you legs doesn''t mean the same muscles are used the same way. For instance, anyone play squash? it''s basically running and squating for 40 mins, well if you haven''t played for a while or it your first time, you will discover within 48 hours muscles in your backside you never new existed and it will hurt to walk.

Gives these guys some credit, 4 games in 8 days is stupid and shouldn''t happen, they are well paid athletes and this schedule is very demanding. Paula radcliff doesn''t run 2 marathons in a couple of days, sprinters don''t sprint many times in one day (and they only run for 10-11 seconds!) etc.  

Hello Rocky, I stated in a previous message on this thread, that I was once a member of the military for an extremely long period (I''ll come back to that later). I appreciate where you are coming from - in your defence of the modern footballer. I also concur with you, concerning the fixture pile-up, and the pressure it puts on the playing staff - having to physically drag themselves to play muscle torturing high profile matches, with 2 day breaks. I am in my mid-forties now, and have the receding pace of an ageing drunken slug! I enjoyed my service career, and boy, do I miss it - like I''d miss the passing of a close relative. I don''t personally think you are defending the indefensible.........although, I beg to differ in some of your comments concerning other people''s ''employment''.

A footballer has a short career, the likes of those playing in the top-flight earn an incredible amount of ''Dosh!'' Some players invest in the future-some do not........Those playing in the ''nether leagues'', earn vastly somewhat less.....perhaps not a quarter of what the Prem glam gang earn. They perform in the poorer clogger lower leagues, also playing the equivalent amount of ridiculous fixtures with smaller squads, on ploughed field pitches over the festive period. Probably travelling like a struggling 70''s rock band in a Ford transit - to these theatre''s of clart and follicly grass challenged ''playing surfaces''. I''m sympathetic to players'' when pre-season comes around, and that''s probably the hardest transition to match fitness after their well-earned summer (if no Euro or World Cup games) break. But, if I have any respect for discipline and pursuit of success in the field of sport, then the Jockey astride a horse is the one I admire! The hell they go through! No cream cakes, pies, chips, chocolate or ale?.

Humour aside, I wouldn''t envy the work of a Nurse, Doctor, Para-medic, Police officer or any role of an individual doing what I perceive - to be work of an ''objectionable nature!''.  Yet, my employment for a substantial amount of my working life, was most enjoyable, frustrating, depressing at times, scary, humourous, humourless, stressful and believe me! Even with the advent of military technology - I still went to areas of conflict, with a certain amount of outdated inferior equipment! But, it was ''fit for purpose and coupled with a "can do" attitude'' we got the job done. Decent money? mmhh, yeah alright. But it was my choice and I lived and loved with it.

Whatever walk of life - or whatever one''s occupation or lifestyle is, we all have our gripes, whinges and moans and differences. Some defend MP''s who state their job is difficult.......I personally won''t comment.....some dislike olives, but I love ''em. But if we were struggling in a certain situation and required extra man-power to fulfil a task, we asked for it, if we got it ''whoopee!'' if we didn''t - we did the best we could! Major Nigel''s squad were tired? did he call for reinforcements? No, because he didn''t have any! But he stated that he was content with his army and equipment at the start of hostilities, and therefore, General Delia, Field marshall Mumbles & Co residing upstairs; assumed all was "ticketyboo!" How complacent and wrong they all were! "Failure to prepare! Prepare for failure!" OTBC ;~)