Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

citys 1 million pound Midfield Pairing! Hughes and Etuhu!!

I think I can hear the Preston fans laughing down hear in South Norfolk, No wait a minute it''s Reading fans there still creasing up at us paying for Hughes.

We could have got Paul Ifil from Millwall for 800k and he also is much better than Hughes and Etuhu put together. He is probably the best right-mid outside the premiership and is instrumental in Sheffield Utds promotion push. IMO he wouldve have chose us over them in pre-season. I cant think of any right-mids who are half-decent that we could get for that kind off money now, can you?

I hate to pour cold water on the anti-Worthy love-in that seems to be going on, but I bet the majority of posters on here would have been over the moon had we signed Etuhu in August for £450k - I seem to recall his name cropping up again and again in the lists of players we should be signing, but at the time his value was much higher.  Now we have signed him, for a fraction of that price, people are STILL not happy.  Give me strength!

So what happens if Worthy goes out and signs Koumas for a million, and it doesn''t work out for him here?  I suppose that will all be Worthy''s fault too?

I am not a big fan of Worthy, never have been, however it now seems to me to be nothing more than a witch-hunt now.  Worthy seems to be responsible for everything at the moment, unless it happens to be good news.

I wonder how a midfield comprising Safri deep, Etuhu and Robinson centre, Huckerby left and McVeigh right might look with Ashton on his own up front.

We could switch to 4-3-3 as required.

I think Robinson is on his way, his passing was sharp while he played yesterday. It is just a shame it will take so long to play all three together.

Etuhu is here now, on his day he can be very good, it is Worthy''s gamble to think he can make Etuhu consistant. Only time will tell.

Hughes is the 4th midfielder IMO and he will at least push for a place.

Worthy wont sign Koumas... end of.. because as Worthy says "we are working hard on bringing people in but thres not alot out there" as our rivals sign the better players from under our incompetant managers nose!

He has wated a hell of a lot of money on a p!ss poor midfield and one which relies solely on 1 mand (Saffers) to get play going and get us ticking.. the rest of our midfielders are poor.. they arent premiership quality and not even good enough for the top championship sides.. as has been proven with the League leaders flogging us Hughes and the leagues form side flogging us Etuhu..

Worhty has taken a premiership squad and made it mid table medicore in the championship! A joke!!! a complete and utter joke! [:@]

jas :)

As someone else says, we all thought Etuhu was a fantastic signing. So dont complain now that we have got him.

However, as for summer signings.

Last year, we wanted to stay in the premiership yet didnt buy a single known premiership player.

This year, we wanted to get promoted, buying players who dont even make the preston/reading side wont get you anywhere

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]

I hate to pour cold water on the anti-Worthy love-in that seems to be going on, but I bet the majority of posters on here would have been over the moon had we signed Etuhu in August for £450k - I seem to recall his name cropping up again and again in the lists of players we should be signing, but at the time his value was much higher.  Now we have signed him, for a fraction of that price, people are STILL not happy.  Give me strength!

So what happens if Worthy goes out and signs Koumas for a million, and it doesn''t work out for him here?  I suppose that will all be Worthy''s fault too?

I am not a big fan of Worthy, never have been, however it now seems to me to be nothing more than a witch-hunt now.  Worthy seems to be responsible for everything at the moment, unless it happens to be good news.

[/quote]

ok I was not signing him but if i was

I would get him watched

I would look on the web about what the team in questions fans say about him (even by pretending to be a reading fan and posting "what do you all think of hughes".

if anybody at our club had the good sense to ask the reading fans about hughes via the internet and find out they all think he is hard working but lacking in ability

If anybody at our club had done the same for Etuhu they would have found out he was a lazy sulker who turns up about twice a season - we even got to see him play and he is rubbish

You cant have a go at the fans for suggesting a name, they dont get to watch these players - but judging by what reading and preston fans said BEFORE we signed these players  i fear noone at our club seems to have a clue.  For 1 million pounds we could have signed Greg Halford from colchester.  A player who has starred at right back and midfield is only 19 and has attracted the interest of man utd.

A hungry young talented 6 foot 4" Defender/midfielder who can score goals..  Why the hell arent we in for him???  rather than talentless and unmotivated crappers!!!

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Presumably Worty will see the cost as minus whatever Plymouth are prepared to pay for Jarrett.[/quote]

unfortunately i reckon jarret is better than etuhu, we''ll probably give him to plymouth for a packet o crisps. If etuhu is worth 450k we should ask for 750k for jarret !!!!!!!!

I agree, temp, that we would have been very happy with signing Etuhu in the summer but the difference since then is that we have now seen him first hand and has created a very poor impression! 

I still think he may prove a good signing in the long run (and have posted so elsewhere) but the club have to get that potential out of him - he seems to be most cofortable in a 4-4-2 formation as the offensive part of the central pairing - and not suited to playing right sided.  With just 4 midfielders at the club signing Etuhu is sensible even if it is just to boost numbers - we we can and must make better use of him and so many (JJ to start with) other players who can perform at this level but are ham strung by being played in bizarre positions with weak tactics that seem to focus on players weaknesses rather than their strengths. 

I think that, for the champs, all of the summer signings do have merit - even Hughes, who I perceive as the biggest mistake, would be an excellent signing had he been 3rd or 4th choice central midfielder in a larger squad - the fact he is amongst the first names on the team sheet (when fit) is where the problems start..