Sign in to follow this  
macdougalls perm

I'm not Worthington's biggest fan but is it really his fault if Ashton goes.

I have to admit that my patience is tested by Worthington particularly the allegations on another thread that Colin is forced to play mindless long balls to the right wing (if this is in anyway true), his inability to sign a right sided midfielder, and his seeming reluctance to snap up Mcveigh for a new deal (once again, difficult to tell the actual circumstances) but, all this being said, surely it was obvious that Ashton could very well be off in the January transfer window, assuming that we weren''t looking nailed on for promotion. I think that over the last few games (with the exception of the PNE debacle) we have shown that we do attempt to play on the ground and when we have achieved that objective it has paid off to an extent. I think that Robinson/Safri/McVeigh and Huckerby as his potential support shows that we intend to provide him with useful ammo rather than constant long ball football. Promotion is looking less than likely, so it looks as though he will be off (as most of us predicted) but I don''t understand what Worthington is supposed to do to keep him here. He is even getting slagged off for looking for a decent replacement now and it is automatically assumed that even if he gets someone good (ie Jerome) he will just ruin him.

As I have said, I am far from sure that Worthington doesn''t need replacing, but he is obviously here til at least the end of the season and, as such, I think we need to be a bit more balanced about his signings/attempted signings or we are just guaranteeing that they fail in the hope that eventually they will get him the sack. People on here were crying out for Etuhu to be signed, if Ashton does go it seems that Jerome is a perfectly reasonable target to replace him (perhaps we could get him and Koumas if money is gonna be there) and if the atmosphere at Colney is as bad as everybody makes out and he had other choices, just why has Rossi Jarvis signed his contract?

Worthington has far from proved himself, but it seems completely counter productive to jump all over everything he does or says or to attribute every hiccup or fault directly to him. For example, if anyone had suggested in mid December that we would win 5 out of 6 extremely tricky looking upcoming fixtures they would have been laughed off this board as insane. So who can tell, lets just give things a bit of a chance to pan out. Apparently the run of five wins was the purely the work of the sports psychologist, if that is so, why wasn''t the defeat we suffered on Monday, very selective reasoning it seems. 

you do say

"People on here were crying out for Etuhu to be signed"

untill we saw him play.....  surely are scouts have seen in his games for preston, exactly what we saw in his games for us.  he looks like a patrick viera. thats all it is i think.  his football is decidedly average and games pass him by.

I dont blame worthy for the preston defeat and was willing to eat my words a little after 5 wins out of 6.  But this signing is so poor its untrue and has really annoyed me and others.  We have seen him play for us and he was rubbish, now he is signed.

I realise he is going to be in charge till the end of the season, hence the worthy out banner is gone, but really worry what he is doing to the squad in the meantime.  Not one decent player has come in since relegation. (perhaps with the exception of davenport)

ALSO what is the point of spending 1 million on 2 rubbish players when 1.5 million gets you a player who stars in this division??

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

Not one decent player has come in since relegation. (perhaps with the exception of davenport)

[/quote]

Did I miss something? Is relegation usually seen as the ideal time to start buying all those Premiership players that we couldn''t afford or entice in the Premiership? Is the parachute payment bigger than the Prem pay cheque?

I would like to see the very best players at Norwich too, but we''re in the Championship. Who of any real quality can we sign for £450k and, I dunno, £5k per week? Because if there is a Scott Parker or someone out there for that money I''m sure Worthy will be right there in the queue.

First of all McDougall, how fit are you, perm or not, I used to enjoy watching you put away all those goals, ever thought of a comeback, should you be able to find little Phil?

I don''t know much about your patience levels McD, but mine are up.  Worthy''s managerial skills, or lack of them contributed, more than anything else, into getting us relegated last year.  With this in my mind (I am not speaking for anyone else here), only a straight promotion (in the top 2 places) would, in any way justify, to me, him staying.  It is now obvious that is not going to happen, and to be honest to me this was pretty obvious after the first three home games.  Yes, I am a bit of an exacting person to please, but the way things have been since he took over have gradually all stacked up to leave us all with the present situation.  No pun intended. 

Lack of planning for this season, complacency that the squad was both big and good enough, when he decided it wasn''t, in come the paniced loanees.  In my mind it''s not whether they themselves are good enough, just that we shouldn''t need them.  He had all summer to buy in, but stated that he wouldn''t be buying anyone until the end of June due to wages.  So he missed the cream of the crop and it''s pretty obvious now what the consequences of that are.  At the moment he is holding onto his position by the skin of his teeth, saved this time by a player who he wanted out (McVeigh). 

He has not bought in positions which he urgently needs to fill and has done for some time (Right Midfield).  He has coached out skill from the more creative players (Ashton) and made them into workhorses, as he doesn''t like the showponies.  He won''t try the youngsters, even during a good spell.  His myopic view of how to play football, ie booting the ball to a target man may work, but why waste the young hope of Dean Ashton who was banging in the goals for Crewe, playing good football?  Ashton has showed with a good service and a likeminded attacking partner, McVeigh, things can work.  However, not having a decent midfield sort of rules this out happening too much. 

As for Ashton''s replacement, we should never be in the position where he would either want to be sold/have to be sold.  This, coupled with seeing season after season of dire football is the reason I want him to go and sadly, for me, a run of 5 wins can''t convince me that he''s suddenly got it right.

The board and their decisions are another post, suffice to say if season ticket sales are not up to the required number (that is several thousand don''t renew) then maybe the rose tinted specs may have to come off and the coffee brewed real strong.

[quote user="Amarillo"][quote user="Paul Rankin"]

Not one decent player has come in since relegation. (perhaps with the exception of davenport)

[/quote]

Did I miss something? Is relegation usually seen as the ideal time to start buying all those Premiership players that we couldn''t afford or entice in the Premiership? Is the parachute payment bigger than the Prem pay cheque?

I would like to see the very best players at Norwich too, but we''re in the Championship. Who of any real quality can we sign for £450k and, I dunno, £5k per week? Because if there is a Scott Parker or someone out there for that money I''m sure Worthy will be right there in the queue.

[/quote]

Amarillo - there are plenty of potentially decent players out there -

Reading got Kevin Doyle, Glenn little (100,000), Brynjar Gunnarsson, john oster

Sheff Utd got  Paul Ifill (he is right midfield so worthy wasnt interested aparantly he can flick it too), Danny Webber

leeds got  liam miller, robbie blake, Sean Gregan

cardiff got Koumas

i cant be bothered suffice to say if your paying 500,000 for someone they ought to be able to play football

Yep, a MacDougall/Boyer partnership would be nice, wouldn''t say no to Suggett or Sullivan either if we could turn back the clock, certainly better than trying to stuff midfield with a load of Kevin Bonds as seems to be happening at the mo. [8-)]

A couple of extremely valid, well reasoned answers and yep, my patience levels are being tested (particularly with the issues I have mentioned) but this is my point really. This type of discussion is far more productive than automatically slagging off every move W makes, and even the invention of some that he hasn''t in a couple of threads. my point is that he his here until the end of the season at least, so lets at least keep our criticism to things that are down to him and that could realistically be dealt with, rather than automatically being negative about absolutely everything that is happening at the club. I think it is certainly worth waiting until the end of January when we will know exactly what we have got to work with til the end of the season. Until then, everything is just speculation (ie I do believe that Etuhu has the potential to look a lot better as part of centre midfield pairing but this depends on us getting a right sided midfielder that will allow us to play this system without looking like a conference team). So I will wait and see what we do end up with when the transfer window closes.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

As for Ashton''s replacement, we should never be in the position where he would either want to be sold/have to be sold.  This, coupled with seeing season after season of dire football is the reason I want him to go and sadly, for me, a run of 5 wins can''t convince me that he''s suddenly got it right.

[/quote]

Are you completely insane?!  If Arsenal/Man U/Chelsea came in for Ashton, he''d be hard pressed not to leave!  Ashton will want to leave Norwich, its just when, he must picture himself playing at the very highest level, and that just isn''t going ot be us.

I can''t understand where some people on this board picture Norwich, I think we should be challenging for the Championship title, but I feel half the problem is that now alot of fans expect us to be able to sign players and find amounts of money that just aren''t realistic.

OTBC!

Chunky

Chunky

If this club had been managed correctly last season we would not be in the position of having our star striker put up for auction.  If we were still in the Prem, unless in the bottom three, I am sure Ashton would be quite content to stay with us.  No, we are not Chelsea etc, but are never likely to even play them again, if we sell the likes of Deano.  With the likes of Deano, yes, we should be at the top of this division, we are not, I wonder why you think that is so.  Seems the money we have spent this year has been largely wasted, is that the fault of unrealistic fans?  Did Worthy buy him long term or to make a quick buck?  I don''t for a minute doubt Worthy''s intentions, but I do doubt his ability to keep players of Dean''s calibre as he continues to take this club on a downward spiral. 

What you should be asking Chunky is, if and when Deano is sold, where will we realistically finish this season, and what sort of players can we now attract?  I know the sort, the ones we got this summer.  Ever wondered why I want to get rid of this manager?