Sign in to follow this  

I have had a serious rethink after recent events and actually I quite like Andy Hughes.  He shows more effort and enthusiasm than most and is a decent squad player. I can see why Reading were reluctant to sell him, he is versatile, a hard worker and a nice guy - the sort of player its good to have around the club.

He is not a first choice central midfielder but he can do a job.  I think I was so annoyed about the amount of money spent to bring him here, and that he was signed to be Safri''s central midfield partner that it clouded my judgement on the player himself.

I apologise mate.

This is very true. Even if he isn''t the most skilfull player we''ve got, I think its quite easy to underestimate the benefits of his type of character on getting a team to pull together. A good influence on the squad even if he isn''t first choice. I think that this is what we lost with Iwan and Malkay when we gave them the boot as soon as we had been promoted. It is very debatable whether we have missed either of their footballing abilities but it is obvious that they were popular ''big'' characters. Its an important part of building a team mentality, and making people want to work for the benefit of that team.

I would like to agree, but a player with energy and running about do not get you promoted and make it extremely difficult to fit into a team. You have to admit his passing and control of the ball is poor and how do you play measured football (like we used to) when your team mate is all over the place. I dont think its a coincidence that Reading are doing better without him and we do worse when he is in the team.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

I have had a serious rethink after recent events and actually I quite like Andy Hughes.  He shows more effort and enthusiasm than most and is a decent squad player. I can see why Reading were reluctant to sell him, he is versatile, a hard worker and a nice guy - the sort of player its good to have around the club.

He is not a first choice central midfielder but he can do a job.  I think I was so annoyed about the amount of money spent to bring him here, and that he was signed to be Safri''s central midfield partner that it clouded my judgement on the player himself.

I apologise mate.

[/quote]

I suggest you have a ''serious rethink'' about all your recent opinions.

He still was a waste of £500,000 and will not make the first 11 of norwichs squad come the start of next season

oh yeah and squit - he did inherit a jaded squad - read Iwans book.

I cant wait to find out who Worthy is gonna buy with the Ashton cash!!!  

Paul Rankin wrote:

I have had a serious rethink after recent events and actually I

quite like Andy Hughes.  He shows more effort and enthusiasm than most

and is a decent squad player. I can see why Reading were reluctant to

sell him, he is versatile, a hard worker and a nice guy - the sort of

player its good to have around the club.

He is not a first choice central midfielder but he can do a job.  I

think I was so annoyed about the amount of money spent to bring him

here, and that he was signed to be Safri''s central midfield

partner that it clouded my judgement on the player himself.

I apologise mate.

Fair play, Paul. A lot of people wouldn''t bother saying they''d changed their minds after being so critical previously!

I agree that he is one of Worthy''s on-field motivators, something we seem to need more of. Where some people have criticised his passing and positional play, I remember the Palace game (admittedly one of only three I''ve seen with my own eyes this year) and the chipped cross for Ashton''s goal. He also made some great runs in the channels, although he was mostly ignored in that game I thought it showed promise for the future.

It was pleasing to see him get his first goal the other week and he certainly doesn''t deserve the mocking ''Happy Clapper'' moniker for his appreciative applause of the fans after every game! I suppose those who mock prefer their players to be more aloof and to be ignored [*-)]

[quote user="A load of squit"][quote user="Paul Rankin"]

I apologise mate.

[/quote]

I suggest you have a ''serious rethink'' about all your recent opinions.

[/quote]

I was pissed last night - I forgot our Central Midfield looks far better since he has been injured,out of the side and replaced by a left back.  Its only that the latest signing even makes Hughes look like a decent signing.

I actually meant that he was a good influence to have in the squad for moral and spirit etc, rather than as a key tactical lynchpin. Just to remind you all that we did a lot worse with Davenport in the team but that didn''t seem to stop (most) people rating him as the most promising young defender since John Terry.

True, perm. And the midfield wouldn''t have keeled over against Preston if Hoozie had played. Or Holt.

P.S. Davenport''s great.

i noticed from monday how half hearted some players were, unlike safri and hughes, they didnt go in for all 50/50''s and wouldnt chase after loose balls unless they were garenteed to get the ball.

Both Safri and Hughes do the above, and its a good thing they do, either player gone and you can notice a difference, despite people thinking how bad hughes is, i say give him a chance and he will prove you wrong.

Hughes is captain for a reason, and i hope he stays captain