Sign in to follow this  
Banus Canary

sutton was affordable...

500k for Etuhu vs 300k for Sutton ? These players are leagues away in terms of talent. Okay so theres a small matter of a 30k a week salary, however lets assume Deanos going and hes paid 20 ish, thats 10k a week to find, or 520k a year we need to find. The club just took a quick million off holiday inn which in my opinion was a little short termist, however if you''re going to make good use of this cash, surely 2 years paying Sutton to score goals would be a good idea? Did we even make an offer?

Problem is we are NOT in the Prem & 30k a week would bring all sorts of problems around the club. The top players would demand pay rises or leave and where''s the guarantee he would score goals for us? Birmingham can afford the gamble, we can''t.  I''d prefer Jerome from Cardiff, at least he would be an investment when he eventually left, what would we get for Sutton?

Birmingham NEED Sutton - and for the rest of this season only so residual value is of no interest: hence the deal works

Our situation is different, and unless Aston is a definite departee this month our need is much more for a longer term partner/alternative dependant on where we are next season.

Great great memories of this guy, but I think there is a danger of sentiment before business sense here.

Banus

Sutton was a big ask but it would be nice to see some ambition from the board but never mind we did sign another world class player in Etuhu .  I have spoken to Chris on holiday and although unlikely his heart is in Norwich and a deal may have been possible with the right ambition remember Hucks !