Sign in to follow this  
gazzathegreat

One on the chin!

“I think it is well deserved,” said Foley, part of the well-established management trio that also includes Doug Livermore. “We won five games on the trot in December and you can''t argue with that.

“Nigel has proved over the years that he is a very good manager and you don''t become a bad one overnight. It did surprise me that some people started calling for him to go when results weren''t going our way. Some of the things that were being said were totally out of order, in my opinion, and I guess this award shows he''s not such a bad manager after all.

“I''d say it''s one on the chin for some of the supporters who wanted him out. What I''d say to fans is wait to see where we finish at the end of the season and judge us then.”

Wow, Steve Foley has told us all to take it on the chin!  Sorry, may I just make this absolutely clear, all of us who wanted Worthy (and Foley and Livermore, by association) to go, not those who still think the trio should stay.

Okay Steve, you and the boss managed to get the team to win 5 on the spin.  What about the 20 or so games preceeding those, conveniently forgotten are they?  What about all those away losses, or should I say no shows/thrashings at Luton, Watford, Stoke, Millwall, QPR  etc etc. The mighty home wins over the majority of the teams who have visited us.  Hull?  Wow!!  

So Nigel wins a manager of the month and that vindicates his position as manager does it Steve?  You, and Nigel both know that you are on a damn cushy number at NCFC.  Most other clubs would have dispensed with your collective services, and in any other industry the three of you would be history.

Judge you all at the end of the season. Er, okay, but why do you assume it''s going to take us all season to make up our minds, one way or the other.  Do you, Steve Foley honestly believe this is going to be a promotion season, that we are playing to our full potential?  I concede that not one fan would expect a win in every game, not even good football.  We all accept an off day or two.  But not as many as we have witnessed this year. 

Mr Foley, I will surely give you my thoughts at the end of the season.  But you can have them now.  I consider this season to be a failure, given our advantages over our league rivals at the start of the season.  We were, and still are, ill prepared squad wise, we are still playing mind numblingly bad football most of the time and are considering selling our best player, meanwhile bringing in a batch of journeymen who have done it and seen it all before, and have no hunger for the fight.  If that''s a sign of a good manager, I dread to think what you consider are the signs of a bad one. 

I must admit I am having a slow morning, but for the life of me I cannot remember how many championship points we earn for Manager of the Month.

"What I''d say to fans is wait to see where we finish at the end of the season and judge us then."

well barring the poo hitting the fan he is gonna get to the end of the season, and if norwich arent in the play offs hopefully he will leave. (on previous record he was sacked from blackpool after the fans were chucking stuff at him in the dugout!!!!  In fact i can tell you now he will never resign his position here.

I would be interested on your take of exactly why  we suddenly  won five games on a trot in December Gazza , because ,prior to that , we were mainly expecting  to slither into the relegation zone !   I have my own ideas by the way !  one of them being  that some players  are more interested in their own agenda !!  

Congratulations  on your forthcoming  wedding  !

not only chucking stuff.. he had to have police guard the dug out and an escourt out of the ground.. many of the blackpool  fans still say he destroyed the squad and confidence of the club. I believe he is doing it here as well.. even though we hear we have a strong squad on paper.. but football isn''t played on paper.. He can talk the talk but can''t walk the walk...

the man is arrogant .. despite the mr nice guy facade. 

Wise words Gazza,  it looks like we will have to wait till the end of the season before we get rid of Worthy.  As it says judge us then....and yes Steve I will, you are aimimg for a play off place I just hope you judge yourselves and if we do not acheive it which is probable you and Worthy realise that you are no longer the people for the job.  I wll remember your words which I am sure you will go back on if we do not achieve a play off position.   (We should of course acheived automatic promotion)

So lets wait and see, but I am sure the old excuses will come out and at the end of the season you will only be talking about being in a position to push for promotion the following season, minus half our decent players! And alas still leading our club

Time will tell....

OTBC

St.John

Well if you dont like your boss you tend to do things for yourself and certain players were given a run in the side.. Certain other players didnt feel they needed to do anything earn a place here.  It was a good run - one which you would expect from a team that was previously a premiership side. lets see if it continues... ort was just a *blip*. in a season that has otherwise been a shower of *you no what*

Thank you for your post Gazza because it says everything I would want to say myself and is very well put.

Foley is too close to Worthy for his opinion to count and ''one on the chin'' is an inflammitary remark and certainly not one designed to mend any bridges. He has just hardened my attitude in one fell swoop.

They can all receive their final judgement at the end of the season and it is promotion or replacement.

Perhaps Foley should move out of Essex if he really takes his job seriously and live where he works.

You are right, Mr. Foley, and we are all pleased at the revival. Some of us are still worried because in the summer we said that the squad was too small and the recent sighnings not promotion material. His judgement at the time was that he was happy with his squad, both in size and quality. Since then we have had a series of loan signings, and the spectacle recently of the three man midfield having two left backs in it briefly.Given the quantity of transfer money he has had over the five years, estimates talk about £10 million, we would have expected a larger and stronger squad where all members would be up to playing in the Championship. As it is we have a number of players who have hardly ever played, - goalkeepers, and some who are sent out on loan or are selected only as a last resort.You cannot argue with 15 points, but you can point out that in our best win, at Bramall Lane, we were "gifted"goals, and in at least two more we won narrowly because of inadequacies in finishing by teams in even poorer form than we were. Long may the luck continue, but we hope that soon we shall be winning because we dominate teams and outplay them!Above all, we hope that we shall at some point begin to play on a regular basis the neat passing and movement game that we played a few years back and that we give up the long ball to the head of Ashton, or his succcessor, which is such a feature of our game for long periods.

Foley should look at the league table before he gets all bolshie. 14th is totally and utterly uncacceptable for a club of our stature. Our last result was a 3-0 home defeat. If you want to deliver one one the chin to your many critics, win 7 or 8 on the spin, and make the league table look vaguely palatable. At the moment you have absolutely nothing to crow about.  Shut up man.

Considering selling one of our better players? Sorry if i remember rightly Worthy and the board have told clubs it will take a considerable offer to buy Ashton of us. You Worthy haters do seem to have short memories, this time 5 years ago, we would have dreamt of this league position, as opposed to hovering in and around the relegation zone. He took us to a div 2 threatened side to a premiership side, and with the amount of injurys we had last season, its no wonder we got relegated. I know you all think Worthys signings are rubbish, so im thinking that you won''t care if we sold Ashton then? or Huckerby? or Safri? or Doherty? or Drury?

If Norwich were to get promotion this season then you moaners would soon shut up again and pretend you never wanted Worthy out, I bet you are all the old men in the Norwich and Peterborough who sit there and constantly moan the whole game, even if we are 4-0 they''d still moan!

Why don''t you actually try supporting the team you supposed to support?

ellis206 wrote 

Considering selling one of our better players? Sorry if i remember rightly Worthy and the board have told clubs it will take a considerable offer to buy Ashton of us. You Worthy haters do seem to have short memories, this time 5 years ago, we would have dreamt of this league position, as opposed to hovering in and around the relegation zone. He took us to a div 2 threatened side to a premiership side, and with the amount of injurys we had last season, its no wonder we got relegated. I know you all think Worthys signings are rubbish, so im thinking that you won''t care if we sold Ashton then? or Huckerby? or Safri? or Doherty? or Drury?

If Norwich were to get promotion this season then you moaners would soon shut up again and pretend you never wanted Worthy out, I bet you are all the old men in the Norwich and Peterborough who sit there and constantly moan the whole game, even if we are 4-0 they''d still moan!

Why don''t you actually try supporting the team you supposed to support?

When I was a youngster I idolised individual players and looked up to people in positions of power.

Now I am older and wiser I give respect and appreciation when it is due but realise these people are only individuals looking out for their own interests.

I care about the club which is something inanimate and un-defined and I couldn''t care less who we employ to improve it so long as they do.

In saying all this I make an exception for the Board who I regard as principled, dedicated custodians and who are the most supportive and generous board to any football manager that I can remember. They deserve much better and are being short changed by events on the pitch.

It just shows how self-delusional and defensive they have become. Foley is part of the problem- he knows that while Worthy takes much of the direct  flak we actually blame the whole coaching staff.

They became a bad management team not overnight, but over the course of 18 sorry months. We all gave them a chance to prove themselves this season and they have failed dismally. Beating a few poor sides in a row does not make them a good team again, as we saw on Monday.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

It just shows how self-delusional and defensive they have become. Foley is part of the problem- he knows that while Worthy takes much of the direct  flak we actually blame the whole coaching staff.

They became a bad management team not overnight, but over the course of 18 sorry months. We all gave them a chance to prove themselves this season and they have failed dismally. Beating a few poor sides in a row does not make them a good team again, as we saw on Monday.

[/quote]

AND in the middle of it all WHY do we still not have a genuine right winger/midfielder? Yes the manager of the month award was a slap in the face of the doubters.  BUT Dickson Etuhu is a slap in the face of ALL the fans and the club itself

Oh my god - get over yourself charlie''s dad - one season in the

premiership and we suddenly have a devine right to be top of the table.

Not so long ago we were the little club upsetting the form book and

finishing in the play offs. There were many clubs that year who, given

their "stature", should have finished above us but we were unapologetic

then and rightly so.

Reading are doing it now, and Luton and Watford and Preston. None of

which were fancied at the start and they''re equally unapologetic.

Over on the Preston boards they''re bleating about how the big boys

(yes, they were talking about us) are so cocky and think they belong up

there - they loved getting one over on us. When we say we should be up

there, we''re ignoring all the other clubs with good young managers and

decent squads who may not be at the bigger clubs but still have every

right to be up there. Expectation is a very difficult thing to come to

terms with. Just look at Wolves. I don''t think they have ever come to

terms with it there. Remember how outraged they and even some of the

national press were when we knocked them out of the play offs? Did we

care? The boot''s on the other foot for us now and it has been a

difficult transition, no doubt about that.

But there''s no need to go all Man City on us! We are, after all a massive club, massive!

[quote user="a1canary"]Oh my god - get over yourself charlie''s dad - one season in the premiership and we suddenly have a devine right to be top of the table. Not so long ago we were the little club upsetting the form book and finishing in the play offs. There were many clubs that year who, given their "stature", should have finished above us but we were unapologetic then and rightly so.
Reading are doing it now, and Luton and Watford and Preston. None of which were fancied at the start and they''re equally unapologetic.
Over on the Preston boards they''re bleating about how the big boys (yes, they were talking about us) are so cocky and think they belong up there - they loved getting one over on us. When we say we should be up there, we''re ignoring all the other clubs with good young managers and decent squads who may not be at the bigger clubs but still have every right to be up there. Expectation is a very difficult thing to come to terms with. Just look at Wolves. I don''t think they have ever come to terms with it there. Remember how outraged they and even some of the national press were when we knocked them out of the play offs? Did we care? The boot''s on the other foot for us now and it has been a difficult transition, no doubt about that.

But there''s no need to go all Man City on us! We are, after all a massive club, massive!

[/quote]

with better signings we could have been up there, nuff said.  Look at palace they are doing it!!  southampton lost half their playing staff and full strike force and have a rugby coach as director of football so it could be worse.  But who will we have on February the 1st??

Wish I could have seen Smirker Foley''s face after the 0-3 drubbing by Preston on Monday. If he was still smirking after that shambles, he deserves absolutely no respect. If he wasn''t smirking, then what''s he on about?  Just being inflammatory for the hell of it?  The 5 in a row has gone.... we''re back to the normal stuff now.

Look at the bigger picture, Foley, like you and Worthless tell us to do. It''s a disaster... Played 28. Won 11. Lost 12. Minus 4 goal difference.  Proud of that, are we? 

There''s one on the chin for you, mate... 

Fact. The biggest support outside the premier league. Fact. Ashton, Green, Safri, Huckerby. Fact. Less money worries than most of our rivals. Fact. Recent premiership pedigree. Fact. According to A1 Canary, this amounts to 14th place in the second division, and we should all be very very grateful. I dont give a toss about preston or millwall or luton or watford or any other one horse town with a tuppeny ha''penny football club.  There im over my self now.  

Foley''s remarks just show the cosy arrogant underpinnings of the current management. How proud of the Preston result is he and his cronies? One on the chin?? shut up Foley and get back in the box with the rest of Worthy''s puppets. 

[quote user="percyvarco"]

Foley''s remarks just show the cosy arrogant underpinnings of the current management. How proud of the Preston result is he and his cronies? One on the chin?? shut up Foley and get back in the box with the rest of Worthy''s puppets. 

[/quote]

Puppets or Muppets - its funny how many of the older NCFC fans beleive the coaching at NCFC is not good enough.  I would like to see the back line making itself available every time greeno has to kick it out so at least we can build an attack.  buut unfortunatly we are not bringing in players who have good enough quality on the ball in the center of the park *Bar Safri*

Yes, that''s right charlie''s, i''m glad we''re 14th, i''m delighted about it.
Your ''facts'' are marvellous and all correct. All i''m saying is, just because you add these things together it doesn''t give us a right to anything in the way that you seem to think it does. Yes it SHOULD mean we''re right up there but look at West Ham they year after they came down.
Does this ring any bells with you:

Biggest support outside the prem, an absolute war chest of money following sales of Carrick and Cole, and a squad including Zamora, Harewood, Etherington, Reo-Coker, McAnuff... And a young manager very similar to ours with less on his cv at the time.
So, automatic promotion in charlie land, surely! Wrong. The pressure and expectation was similar, and the vitriol and abuse aimed at Polly Pardew at the time makes you lot look like fluffy bunnies by comparison. And they still didn''t secure auto promotion the next year.

Now look at them. Massive!

Maybe, Mr Foley should have kept ''schtum'' and let the media do the talking....... I don''t really care what he said, just the same as when Nigel said he didn''t care what the fan''s thought, said, chanted, whatever, minor tittle tattle........ If we had lost or drawn the last 6 games, the manager and coaching duo - would be now drinking meths out of coke bottles outside the Guildhall - with a scabby dog on a urine soaked blanket for company - alongside a pile of Big Issues. A little harsh maybe, on the real unfortunate''s who have fallen on hard times......But you get my drift.

Now is not the time to crow about our mini-revival! I''m a City fan, I don''t want to see us lose......ever! But, and I''m sorry about re-gurgitating the same old story. It''s the last 18/20 months that have caused me worry! I don''t expect to be within touching distance of the top 2 in the league but, to be so many points behind Reading?.........I want a new manager in the mould of Boothroyd, Allardyce, Newell or even Holloway...... Any other manager/coach with the past record of our''s over the last 18 months - would now be in possession of a P45! Cheer''s Nigel and co! But time to move on........please? ;~) Mello, a devout ''chinless muppet''......but don''t you ever dare call me it! GRRRRR! 

A1canary, as usual, you make one or two points that seem reasonable on the face but miss the big picture. Alan Pardew has had just over two seasons to accomplish what Worthington has not been able to do in five seasons: put a team in the Premiership that looks like they are at least prepared to compete for survival ( I''ll say the words again to ensure they don''t fly over your head ), PREPARED TO COMPETE FOR SURVIVAL. Is what is going on at Norwich City at the moment positioning us to go into the Premiership PREPARED TO COMPETE FOR SURVIVAL? We are being positioned to have enough bodies to fill eleven yellow shirts each week in the Championship.

[quote user="a1canary"]Yes, that''s right charlie''s, i''m glad we''re 14th, i''m delighted about it. Muppet.
Your ''facts'' are marvellous and all correct. All i''m saying is, just because you add these things together it doesn''t give us a right to anything in the way that you seem to think it does. Yes it SHOULD mean we''re right up there but look at West Ham they year after they came down.

Biggest support outside the prem, an absolute war chest of money following sales of Carrick and Cole, and a squad including Zamora, Harewood, Etherington, Reo-Coker, McAnuff... And a young manager very similar to ours with less on his cv at the time.
So, automatic promotion in charlie land, surely! Wrong. The pressure and expectation was similar, and the vitriol and abuse aimed at Polly Pardew at the time makes you lot look like fluffy bunnies by comparison. And they still didn''t secure auto promotion the next year.

[/quote]

Actually a1canary west ham had to sell more or less there whole first and reserve sides when they got relegated - they signed a new set of players whom had to gel. We could have had the same side bar Bently Francis, Helveg and Holt but worthy decided to sell and let go on frees many potentially and proven good championship performers (Mullers, Edworthy, Svenny, Jonson) and has failed to provide adequate replacements

also

Zamora -valued at 700,000 part of defoe deal

Harewood - 500,000

Etherington - valued at 500,000 part of defoe deal

Reo-Coker free

McAnuff 200,000 or so

looks like some pretty good deals there eh.... 

Hughes 550,000

[quote user="a1canary"]Yes, that''s right charlie''s, i''m glad we''re 14th, i''m delighted about it.

[/quote]

You can''t really use West Ham as an example. Although as you say they went down and did not go back up in their first season, they were also never as shockingly bad as us and once Pardew took over (yes note, a change of manager!) they were pretty much top 6 all the way and made the playoffs. We have not been anywhere near the top 6 in the 5 months of this season so far, and on current evidence, I don''t expect we will be either.

how arrogant and Rude of "Part of the furniture" foley... he''s been here since MW was in charge 2nd time round and so he must know what he''s doing coaching wise.. either that or he''s been damned lucky not to get the sack!

the reserves did ok under him but the first team haven''t...

If he wants us to take "one on the chin" then yes i am prepared too.. but in order to do this then i expect nothing less than 2nd place.. then i will hold my hands up and say "nigel Worthington and his coaches are football geniuses"! winning 5 games doesnt make you a legend... what if we go out now and lose 5 on the spin... or 6... or 7???? what will foley say then??? nothing i bet as he will keep it shut as the fans will be chanting for Worthy (and his coaches) to all get out town!

Worthingtons record as Norwich manager is Laughable! if not this season then certainly next he will of lost more games then he has won as Norwich manager.... this doesnt make a manager good... this makes him utter dross!!!!!

Get Paul Sturrock in! 3 promotions (Plymouth x2 and Sheffield Wed) a cup final and Europe with Southampton, who were odds on faves for the drop that season... Look at them since sturrocks left and look at sheffield wednesdays slow resurgence....

Worthington out!

jas :)

As usual yankee, you effortlessly patronise as you claim to be the all

seeing eye of your utopian ''bigger picture.'' Utopian in terms of what

you expect that is, and in terms of how completely detached from the

real world it is.

But you''ve all missed the point - the west ham thing was just a

comparison which is entirely justified. Of course it''s not exactly the

same for goodness sake. There are differences, especially, Yankee, in

the fact that Polly Pardew came to a West Ham side that had just been

relegated having enjoyed a long and established spell in the

premiership, while retaining gates of around 30,000. The club NW came

to in 2000 and the one Pardew came to are POLAR OPPOSITES and that is a

ridiculous comparison i''m afraid Yankee. Your one eyed 5 year bigger

picture seems to have completely ignored where the club was and where

it has got to from that point in 2000. Do you remember the state the

club was in in 2000? I''m astonished that you appear to have forgotten.

Maybe you weren''t even a fan back then?

The comparison i was making was in the expectation levels, which were

even greater at West Ham), and in their failure to meet those

expectations in the first instance. Now don''t tell me that comparison

is not justified.

The squad he Pardew assembled took time to gel, as someone has kindly

pointed out. So they''re allowed two seasons to gel are they?

I used to like Pardew when he was at Reading but he became a pompous

a**e after he wen''t to West Ham, largely as a result of the horrendous

abuse he suffered where he came out fighting and defending himself, as

opposed to shrinking away and resigning. NW is doing the same, and in

the process becoming rather less likeable as a person just like Polly

did. But this makes him no less able to do the job than when he got us

promoted.

[quote user="a1canary"]As usual yankee, you effortlessly patronise as you claim to be the all seeing eye of your utopian ''bigger picture.'' Utopian in terms of what you expect that is, and in terms of how completely detached from the real world it is.

But you''ve all missed the point - the west ham thing was just a comparison which is entirely justified. Of course it''s not exactly the same for goodness sake. There are differences, especially, Yankee, in the fact that Polly Pardew came to a West Ham side that had just been relegated having enjoyed a long and established spell in the premiership, while retaining gates of around 30,000. The club NW came to in 2000 and the one Pardew came to are POLAR OPPOSITES and that is a ridiculous comparison i''m afraid Yankee. Your one eyed 5 year bigger picture seems to have completely ignored where the club was and where it has got to from that point in 2000. Do you remember the state the club was in in 2000? I''m astonished that you appear to have forgotten. Maybe you weren''t even a fan back then?

The comparison i was making was in the expectation levels, which were even greater at West Ham), and in their failure to meet those expectations in the first instance. Now don''t tell me that comparison is not justified.

The squad he Pardew assembled took time to gel, as someone has kindly pointed out. So they''re allowed two seasons to gel are they?

I used to like Pardew when he was at Reading but he became a pompous a**e after he wen''t to West Ham, largely as a result of the horrendous abuse he suffered where he came out fighting and defending himself, as opposed to shrinking away and resigning. NW is doing the same, and in the process becoming rather less likeable as a person just like Polly did. But this makes him no less able to do the job than when he got us promoted.
[/quote]