Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Long Ball Game

Nigel Worthington''s managerial career started unspectacularly as player/manager at Blackpool at the beginning of the 1997/98 season. He soon retired from playing to take on sole managerial duties, but two and a half seasons in charge ended with his resignation following a worrying dip in form that saw the club lying in the thick of the Second Division relegation battle. He had little sympathy from the fans on his departure who accused him of adopting a long-ball game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Worthington

Things at Blackpool did not go altogether smoothly however, and Worthington left the club in December 1999, having lost more matches than had won. The Tangerines had only made very slight progress under their Irish boss and both parties felt it was best that Worthington moved on.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/manager?id=24&cc=5739

Do these things ring quite true to norwich now!!  Whats the betting his also manages the 2nd point too here before he leaves

Norwich 04-12-2000 Present  2491029057
Blackpool 08-07-1997 23-12-1999 134445634

Nice one Paul.. I posted  all this a while back.. there is a lot more up there.. about fan unrest, police guards.. destroying the squad and confidence of the club too.

He can only take a club so far.. then it goes backwards..   we keep hearing him say about playing passing football. and only see fleeting glimpses of this.. the rest is the long hoof to a player who cannot time his jumps and wins very little, the ball comes straight back onto the defence as it bypass what passes as our midfield..  LONG BALL game yes very much so

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

Nigel Worthington''s managerial career started unspectacularly as player/manager at Blackpool at the beginning of the 1997/98 season. He soon retired from playing to take on sole managerial duties, but two and a half seasons in charge ended with his resignation following a worrying dip in form that saw the club lying in the thick of the Second Division relegation battle. He had little sympathy from the fans on his departure who accused him of adopting a long-ball game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Worthington

Things at Blackpool did not go altogether smoothly however, and Worthington left the club in December 1999, having lost more matches than had won. The Tangerines had only made very slight progress under their Irish boss and both parties felt it was best that Worthington moved on.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/manager?id=24&cc=5739

Do these things ring quite true to norwich now!!  Whats the betting his also manages the 2nd point too here before he leaves

Norwich 04-12-2000 Present  2491029057
Blackpool 08-07-1997 23-12-1999 134445634

[/quote]

Promotion as champions is much better than ''very slight progress''. Also what defines success as manager of Blackpool as I''m sure you''re aware none of Nigels successors have lasted very long in the job or had any success.

I have never heard or read anywhere from NW that Norwich are along ball team, if you had played football at any decent level then you would know that players get very little time to make decisions, unfortunately to most playing it long is thier first choice, its that old cliche about the what happens after the players cross the white line.

One again this is an example of Lies, Damm Lies & Statistics, Blinkers off please. 

I think that up until Robinson''s departure on Monday, we had been attempting to play the ball on the ground and with some success. This is obviously a problem now we have more injuries to contend with but it does show that the long ball game isn''t the sole objective of Worthington''s game plan. And I also have to agree with squit that you do gloss extremely quickly and unfairly over the stuff that he has achieved since taking over. Along with promotion in the seventies, the Milk Cup win and the wonderful Euro run, promotion as champions has to be the one of the greatest moments since I have been mental about City. 

blinkers off squit

Norwich under NW

Won 102

Lost 90

Drawn 57

lets see how that record is looking at the end of the season - and if worthy signs any more dross we will see if you ktfers like what has happened to the club.  At least it looks like ashton may stay cos otherwise the cloggers will be arriving in their droves.

I don''t want to appear rude or insulting  LoS.. but have you been to many games ?

As every home game I have seen (all of them)  the long ball to Ashton is central to the game plan. constantly from very goal kick and drop kick from Green is aimed at Ashton.  it is like watching schoolboy football, all the players going to one side of the pitch  in readiness for the punt. Most balls out of defence is again much the same..   Now if that isn''t part of what they are told to then I am a Dutchman, as Worthington would be animated and shouting instructions at them if they were going against what has been taught and told, also surely after weeks and weeks of supposedly going against instructions, speaks volumes of his ability to get the best and plays the way he wants.

Having played for 25 years in varying levels of football from Semi pro -Anglian combination-Thursday and Sunday leagues., what you say is quite right players don''t get a lot of time to make decisions... Some of your actions come from natural ability, to create space and time for yourself  and every player playing at pro level should have some of this at the very least, some comes from the coaching to teach you how to gain that extra second or two to do it and to teach other players to help you by creating another option.  true there are times when time is limted and pressure are so great, the the punt to safety, to get it as far away as possible and the long pass are the only thing left.

But from every goal kick and drop kick ... where time is plentiful as opposed to open play can only point to tactics also worth a  mention is the kick off.. the long punt to get the ball as far up the field into touch ..reminds me of Rugby .. Is that a lack of confidence in his players to pass back and work the ball forwards, instead of surrending pocession right from the first kick ?

and to be honest if we are going to play  in this way there is no point having ashton up front - we may as well sell him and get Thorne up front and spend the rest of the cash on improving the rest of the squad - unfortunatly i dont trust worthington to spend a penny correctly at the moment.

Paul, you cannot put forward some statistics without putting them in context, thats blinkered.

Kenny, I''m a season ticket holder, the incidents you describe (drop kicks etc) to me look like Robert Green trying to start a quick attack, he also uses the tactic trying to get Huckerby away quickly (NW criticised Green for not taking his time earlier in the season).

Goal kicks are naturally going to be long and in the air, therefore aimed towards our striker.

The long ball game is players playing every ball into the opponents last third, Norwich do not do that. 

Do you go to the matches squit.  cos barring the recent few games (preston excluded) these last couple of months at home   all we have been doing is reguarly hoofing it down field, trying to build a bit of play on the right and failing due to lack of players, then trying an attack down the left where all there defenders are cos they no we dont have a right hand side. then hoofing it again for 30 minutes.

Preston did there homework - they new we were nackered - pressed all over the pitch, battered robinsons ribs and marked ashton out of the game cos we resorted to long ball.

Admittadly since robinson and mcveigh has been in the team we have played more football, but previouisly poor passes and the long hoof have abounded.

Robinson injured his ribs going for a header with a Preston player and Etuhu came across them both and Robinson was hit in the air, spun and landed on his back. Preston did not target his ribs.

I agree LoS  that goalkicks are going to be in the air.. but what happened to the throw out and the short ball  we used so well with Steeno and  Edworthy building from the back.... we played this a lot during the promo season and then started the long ball out in the prem and he is carrying it on...

sadly we do it..  a lot of our passing football has gone .. we miss midfield out far more that we use to .. hence the buying in of Workmanlike players ...  How many times have we seen a midfielder break through game after game like Francis did.   Boy don''t we miss a player of his stature and ability..   Hughes, Etuhu  nowhere near

The other point I would like to add is that taking long ball to one side, what is our only other option going forwards?     Huckerby down the left.  

If we are not long balling it we are firing it up the line to Huckerby who then usually has two or more players to beat before he has any chance of getting in a half decent cross or attacking the penalty area.

We are two dimensional, long ball to Ashton or direct pass up the left to Huckerby and that''s it.   Most teams know this and mark us accordingly.

If Ashton is not winning the ball and Huckerby is not at his very, very best then we don''t score, simple as that.   When McVeigh does very rarely pick the ball up in space facing goal with only one or two defenders to beat he usually has a go and we build a good forward attack with some fresh creativity and flair, but that is very rare because the whole team is always looking towards Huckerby or Ashton.

We only will win the game if:

1.   Green punts the ball to Ashton who flicks it onto little''ol Mcviegh (the match sponsor) who then
      tries to get past 3 tall defenders.

2. The Doc comes upfront with Ashton and tries to head the ball in form a corner if the ball beats
    the first man that is.

3.  We pass it to huckerby again who has three or four defenders marking him, and NO Norwich players
      Helping him. He doesn''t need help he is a God, and can just float past the defenders and score every time.

4.  We decide to have safri or Hughes or Robinson play a bit in midfield and push forward resulting in a major
     match deciding move. This one, two or even three pass move is a rare thing only preveiously seen in the
     good old days when Norwich and west ham were the passing sides of the football league.

5.   They score a own goal.

6.   Ashton does it all on his own from midfield with no support and wholopes one in the top corner.

Yes I go to every home game. Yes we played the old stuff against Southampton and at times with Burnley but never enough for me. The preston games just shows that without Aston as a target, or Safri/Hughes/Robinson/Holt/Francis/Mulryen/ and another winger like Harper/Fox/Gordon/D.Eddie etc we can''t pass the ball along the ground.

I love city and am pleased that we won the last 5 out of 6 games but unless we buy a midfielder or two and play the short ball/crossing game we will not finish in the play-offs.

Cheers

if greeno wants to get attacks started quickly then the big punt wont do it!!!! Bowl it out to the wings where the pace is... then build on the counter attack...

mix goal kicks up a bit... have a defender come short and collect the ball, yes do play it long when you have too but not to the same person each and every time!!!!

and i agree with some of whats been said above.. we are a 1 dimensional team... Punt to Hucks, or Punt to Ashton... and hope!!!!

we have shown that when we bring everyone into play with slick passing football that we can beat anyone in the division... i do agree that occasionally that smacking it 80 yards to relieve pressure is sometimes needed.. but not every single time that we get the ball...

Also, it depends who you have upfront... Iwan Roberts played for traditional "hoof" teams, Huddersfield, Wolves, Leicester... teams that have always knocked it long.. so his game knew no different.. Dean Ashton played for Crewe where Super Dario encourages keeping it on the deck, making space and playing it short... therefore ashton is poor when it comes to hoof it and hope.

jas :)

the problem is if we haven''t got the hit and hoof option, then unless we press as a team deep into their area, the only outlet is to play in hucks down the left, which either results in a cross from him or drury or the ball is passed back to a midfielder for a shot from 20-30 years or to pass to mcveigh or ash on the edge of the penalty area. thats it.there''s no option from the right, apart from a hoof from the touchline into the box 30 yards, becuase we haven''t got a right sided winger.Moral of the story, Please sign a right winger worthy! and stop defending so deep.

Congratulations, you''ve all demonstrated that you know nothing about the Long Ball Game, its what Watford played under Graham Taylor and what Wimbledon played for years. Norwich have never and do not play like that.

Paul

Interesting comparison with Blackpool.   I wonder if he can count on his experience a bit more now and improve his management stats here!  Time will tell.  

Funny thing is, on the way to Leicester last Saturday we passed a car full of Blackpool fans  - proudly all wearing tangerine shirts and scarves a flying -  they noticed our Norwich shirts etc, and also our "Worthy Out" car stickers (crime, crime!!) and all gave us the thumbs up and cheered.

I guess they know how some of us feel  [;)]

If you were to sit in on the pre match tactics discussions with the opposition players, I can assure you that most of the other Championship managers will be telling their players that they need to win the headers in defence and mark Huckerby tight, because those are our tactics.  There cannot be too many times when the opposition coaching staff say '' I didn''t expect the Norwich player to do that''.

Worthy never includes any players with individual skills, who are given the freedom to move from side to side or try something different.  Worthy likes to play to a certain shape and only rarely do we see periods where we pass the ball around.  If you look closely at our matches how often do you see our players caught in possesion because when they have the ball and look up there is no movement from other players.  I have seen so many teams play at Carrow Road this season and when they get the ball in midfield they have players making themselves available all the time.

I cannot remember who posted about the long ball from Green, but watch today as all the players move towards the left side of the field like sheep.  If one of our players stayed back in our own half and received the ball from Green then we wouldn''t have the 50 - 50 lottery of whether Ashton will win the header, and we might be able to set up an attack.  I have not got any coaching badges, but surely that has got to be an option sometimes.  Perhaps that is not mentioned anywhere in the Howard Wilkinson book of coaching

Throw ins are another example because how many times do we throw the ball down the line in the hope that our striker can win the ball between two defenders.  How often do you hear the crowd moan when our player can only find one option to throw the ball to.  Presumably all the other players are told to stay in their positions waiting for the ball to come across to them.

Corners are another classic because we push all our tall players into the box ,and then we play it short, give the ball away, and are left with our defenders stuck upfield  and frantically chasing to get back.

If Worthy has this top UEFA coaching qualification then I personally haven''t seen any signs of it being used to good effect on the field.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

Paul

Interesting comparison with Blackpool.   I wonder if he can count on his experience a bit more now and improve his management stats here!  Time will tell.  

[/quote]

He''s already done that - he got us to the play-offs, then won us the Championship. Just a reminder for those who''d rather forget that....

he also was with us for relegation ..and this dire season...  ... haven''t forgotten.. nor have I forgotten the 59 cup run.. promotion the first time the European glory ... all those managers have gone  and like their exploits ....  it is all history ....

The reason that the midfield is by-passed so often when we are in possession is because - Safri apart - we have nobody skillful enough on the ball in midfield. It''s as simple as that.  

Look at our central midfield today - Etuhu and Jarrett. When they got the ball, they frequently went sideways, backwards or passed to one of their players. These two are amongst the worst acquisitions during Worthington''s reign. Subsequently, I''m really concerned about how he''ll spend the money when Deano moves on.

I think we need to stop playing Ashton like he was Iwan! Or if we do, make sure theres support for the knock down! But I think ashton deserves better service and play to his feet, as well as giving him some creative space.