Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Player rating anyone?

Jarvis, OK

Jarrett, same old

spillane, had a nice touch

cave-brown, gone home by then!

other player ratings same old poor show! sorry but we are lucky this could have been a rugby score.

Jarvis was out of his depth, kept getting drawn out of position and beaten by Konchesky etc, they were getting no end of joy in this area of the pitch, and I thought that JJ looked good but, judging by the rest of the posts on here, I am the only one who thought so. 

Green      5      At fault for the goal and didnt have much to do

jarvis         6      Got better as the game went on, showed some promise

Doherty   7/8     Another solid display against 2 big strikers MOM

Fleming      7      Solid display, caught out for pace at times

Charlton   5/6      wasnt hardly involved in the games, so didnt give much away

Etuhu         5      If he''s worth 450k, ashtons worth 20 million, another lifeless display from our energetic, ball winniing midfielder

Jarret         7      I have been critical of him, but was the only midfielder who didnt hoof it, always looked for the ball, but had little support. Him and safri could do it you know.

Hendo      7      a lively display, got stuck in and had a go, the boy done well.

Mcveigh     6/7   A quiet game from WLY but half the team using him as a target man didnt help cos he werent gonna win much in the air from gabbidon and collins.

Thorne      5      Lets all pray that ashton stays.

subs

Spillane      7        Got stick in and wasnt scared to be on the ball

cave-brown 6      wasnt in thegame for long so cant access, higly rated though

Greeno - 6 - feel sorry for giving him a 6 as he didnt do badly, however he is low on confidence and made some easy mistakes, also realised how indirect his kicks are at times compaired to wards, could do nothing about the first goal, 2nd however was his fault by far, unlucky about the injury all the best greeno

Jarvis - 7 - I was impressed by Jarvis, the way he played and how he played. Didnt let too much get passed him, but did get caught out a few times, his creativity is amazing, the through balls he played were superb and played with such accuracy, surely he should be a defensive midfielder! Played a good game, should be played every week after a game like that.

Doherty - 9 MOM - won everything both on the ground and in the air as usual, defensive mistake leading to second goal half his fault, and the first goal was flemming holding etherington onside, MOM for me, and another good game to add to the list, keep it up doherty

Flemming 7 - Did ok, was at fault for first goal, and lost the player for the 2nd goal, did well to use his strength as an advatage due to his lack of pace, made up for mistakes quite a few times by recovering the ball.

Drury 7 - didnt look completely fit, seemed reluctant to go for the ball at times, had a better second half, was good going foward but as i already said seemed unfit and didnt have that extra yard in his stride, dependable as always at the back, making some important saving tackles as usual.

Hendo - 7 - Thought he had a good game, especially in the second half, was getting crosses in and was good defending making some very important and good tackles, had a few decent shots on goal including one just tipped over the bar by hislop.

Jarrett - 6 - Had one of his better games for me, seemed the only one willing to have a go from range, and had a good shot which fell staight into the keepers arms, gave the ball away too much, but looks like he is improving

Etuhu - 6 - Looked lost at times, and reluctant to chase the ball. Didnt want to go for goal at times and made some stupid passes, did ok but nothing special.

Charlton 6 - Felt to harsh to give him a five as he really did no worst than Jarrett or Etuhu, clearly isnt a left winger and that shew as nothing really came down our left apart from the times mcveigh dropped onto the left flank or drury came foward, hardly realised he was on the pitch at times

Thorne - 9 - Was superb, won everything in the air despite being up against tall, stocky and strong players, he also caused lots of problems for west ham, unfourtuantly he had no-one feeding off him, McVeigh was too distant, and i personally would have switched McVeigh for Hendo at half time, as hendo seems to read flick-ons better.

McVeigh - 7 Not a bad game, but then again not his best, did well when he had the ball but didnt have the service, needs to play closer to the target man and pick up the ball from the flick-ons.

Sorry AJ, what game were you watching thorne was useless.

also i missed out drury in my ratings

Drury      7/8      Very good, not much got past him.

Green - 6 good punches, not tested too often, 2nd goal should have done better, get well soon Greeno,

Drury - 7 solid defensively, no one in front of him to give the ball to

Fleming - 7 didnt notice him, which is a good sign for a centre back

Doc - 8 MOTM solid as a rock

Jarvis - 4 maybe harsh but didnt look like a right back, not helped by the clueless fool in front of him,  failed defensively for both goals, didnt get forward very much

Charlton - 5 not a left winger

Jarrett - 5 passing still not good, good work rate may still have something to offer

Etuhu - 4 offered very little

Henderson - 1 - clueless positionally, defensively useless, no help to his right back...shows how much we need a right winger

Thorne - 3 - offered little, not sure what his strengths are but we didnt play to them

McVeigh 7 - busy worked hard, no support when he had the ball

Subs

Ward 7 - one very good save low down

Cave Brown - 6 looked positionally better at Right back than Jarvis - promising

Spillane - 7 watch this one, I think he has got what it takes, physically strong, quick, busy couple of nice passes/crosses.

Having just driven back toYork after watching the match (a lot of time to reflect on the match on route), I can only say that today the squad as a whole perfomed below par. Imho there was no attack to speak of , and the absence of Huckers and Ashton was very noticeable. Etuhu seemed scared to take a shot even when the chance was in the offing. 

The squad as it stands at present might make the play-offs (fingers crossed) but there is not a snowball in hells chance that we could go on to bigger and better things. Listening to the post match comments one thing that was mentioned was that we arent short of a bob or two so isnt it time we bought another star player to strengthen a pretty weak squad ???????? ( wonders if Fowler would look good in yellow and green ?).

On the ball City..................

listebned on the radio so these scores are not that well informed

Green - 5 Cost us a goal

Drury - 7 solid

Fleming - 7 did ok

Doc - 8 our best player

Jarvis - 6 lots of their attacks came down this wing given no help by hendo did he cross fot the handball??

Charlton - 4 he is a defender not a midfielder let alone a winger

Jarrett - 6 did ok

Etutu - 5 poor display again

Henderson - 6 did ok out of position

Thorne -5 not noticed

McVeigh 7 - got the goal even if it was a pen

Subs

Ward 7 didnt concede

spillane 6 did ok

cave brown 6 did ok

Theres only one... come on mate we weren''t that bad. Henderson was the most attacking player we had today and created the most problems for them. Jarvis was up against two players who should be in the England squad. When he did have the ball he kept it simple and played some very good passes. And who''s cross was it that led to the penalty... perhaps you can remind me. I''ll agree with you about Thorne though... if he is considered a target man by Worthington... GOD HELP US.

Im sorry but to the poster who rated Thorne a 9... are you having a laugh??

Thorne - Was he on the pitch today??

Charlon - did not mark an oppositon player all day long, gave the ball away, looked tired

Greeno - sorry youre injured but your performances are getting

increasingly erratic, and your distribtuions increasingly one

dimensional. get well soon please to show us what you can do.

jarrett - looked up for it but unfortunately does not have the required skill. gave the ball away a minimum of 10-12 times today

hendo - young, dumb and... well, thats it. 3-4 times when there were 30

squareyards of space ont he right asnd he was central simly creating an

obstruction

mcveigh - as usual the only city player with the tiniest bit of

invention and composure in the final third, you can actually see the

frustration that he has neither the physique to keep the ball or a

single competent colelague to 1-2 with

etuhu - yeah looks lik francis from 100 yards but the similarity stops

there... zero composure on the ball, no forward motion in final third,

prefers to distribute the ball to the flanks where a doomed cross will

be hoofed in then cleared only for the opp to score on the counter

doc - like watching a men amongst boys. so composed. made maybe one error all day. MOM

drury - solid as usual

rossi - young needs to mature, or just crap. poor positionally. at

least partially at fault for the first goal. no confidence going

forward, sat too deep all game

flem - embarrassingly slow at times but better than charlton... oh and

blasted a shot about 70-75 yards wide, my grandmother would have done

better, sorry its true. overall not a bad game by his standards of the

last 12 months.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]listebned on the radio so these scores are not that well informed[/quote]Thorne not noticed on the radio!? :)Can somebody try to top this please - player ratings based on Anglia/Look East highlights? Or just on the score.PS - I listened on the radio, so I know what you mean by these ratings really, but I didn''t see the subs because I popped down to the shops.

I would do some, but it was far too depressing. Maybe tomorrow when Im trying to avoid doing Uni work i may do some.

Suffice to say I cant remember much from the game, so it will probably be a shot in the dark. Although I will say that without Safri, Hucks and Ashton we looked terrible.

I thought Thorne and Hendo both did ok, you have to bear in mind that West Ham are a much better team than us and we scratched a team together, we were never going to win it after the Green injury, it was very worrying seeing so many medical people fussing round him, must have had an effect on the players. It was good to see Ward come on and make a good save too, he might be needed in coming weeks!!  

I am the poster who gave thorne a high rating, simply because his work effort, and how he played gave him that raiting for me, ok maybe a 9 was too high, but i would give him an 7 atleast.

He was winning everything in the air against the stocky defenders, and if we had someone playing off those flick-ons then we could have been very efective upfront, i would have swapped hendo for mcveigh, henderson reacts tot he flick-ons and can read them really well, also he plays better upfront anyway........

I was at the game and know what i saw, so before you have ago, look at the players individuality, how they did by themselves, because really with no support i think Thorne did well, at times he had to chase his own flick-ons because McVeigh was so far away from him. The strike partnership needs to be sorted.

I would just like to defend Ian henderson, he got stuck in, wasnt scared to have a shot and i thought had  quite a good game. In my view hendo gets unfair critism considering worthy wontt play him in his right position. Lets get behind him and not slaghum off when he has quite a good game.

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"][quote user="Paul Rankin"]listebned on the radio so these scores are not that well informed[/quote]Thorne not noticed on the radio!? :)Can somebody try to top this please - player ratings based on Anglia/Look East highlights? Or just on the score.PS - I listened on the radio, so I know what you mean by these ratings really, but I didn''t see the subs because I popped down to the shops.[/quote]

You no how it is - i wanted to rate them!!! I still reckon it will be a better job than most of those sunday paper journo''s will do ;-)

[quote user="svensson19"]Theres only one... come on mate we weren''t that bad. Henderson was the most attacking player we had today and created the most problems for them. Jarvis was up against two players who should be in the England squad. When he did have the ball he kept it simple and played some very good passes. And who''s cross was it that led to the penalty... perhaps you can remind me. I''ll agree with you about Thorne though... if he is considered a target man by Worthington... GOD HELP US.
[/quote]

we''ll have to agree to disagree about Hendo, lots of his attacking moments were to run inside (minus ball) leaving our complete flank exposed (once Etuhu had given it away each time), no end product, very easily shrugged off the ball (do we have a gym), and failed to help out Jarvis at all, the second goal was a good example, jogged back, didnt close, easy for the player to cross. Maybe harsh on Jarvis and I''d like to see him in central midfiled at some point, but I didnt think positionally he looked too familiar with right back, I felt in comparison to Cave-Brown, who just seemed to take up a position (perhaps just a few yards further forward) that looked more like where yould expect a right back to be. and as for Konchesky in the England squad errr no thanks...I wondered watching Thorne today how he''d ever scored as many goals as he had...I feel his ''legs have gone''