kick it off

Talk Norwich City - Webber Podcast

What a bloke, we are so unbelievably lucky to have him at the helm of our club. So refreshing to have someone so honest, not interested in playing politics or saying the right thing all the time.

• Like 1

Stuart Webber is so refreshing, I love his honesty and hope that himself and his wife are here for many years to come because Norwich City is a project where the sky’s the limit under their tutelage. It must be so much more satisfying achieving such success here rather than at a club that it is already expected. I hope they hang around long enough to do a ‘Leicester’, because I have faith they can do this in time.

Credit to the Talk Norwich City boys, Jack and Chris. Might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but their content is excellent, and I for one really appreciate it.

Credit to the chaps running this, they've worked hard over the years producing hundreds of videos and growing their channel into something unique and special, this is the best one yet!

Fantastic watch and a real insight into the man driving Norwich forward, webber is a down to earth guy and is doing a great job, great to have an open and honest interview. 

Meh. 

Was excited when I saw this was coming but felt it just repeated a lot of things he’d already said in other interviews. 

Also felt there was a huge lack of scrutiny from the interviewers. Chris is particularly bad as he is so sycophantic. There was a bit of an elephant in the room when talking about bringing in the legends and how important that is - when one of Webber’s first actions was to sack Huckerby. I’m not saying sacking him was the wrong thing to do, but it was an obvious question to ask at that point. 

Also felt it was too backwards looking, almost no talk of what Norwich’s plans are for the next few seasons and no real scrutiny of Norwich’s approach to transfers this summer. Even if Jack and Chris agree with Webber, they should at least probe a bit more. 

This is the difference between Webber etc going on fan podcasts rather than being interviewed by journalists. It is an easy ride for them.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Chris is particularly bad as he is so sycophantic.

That’s what I thought too, no need to suck up to every player they have on. Jack seems to be more prepared with questions and Chris seems to be “ the voice of the fans” as well as a sycophant. I think that’s what people find irritating.

• Like 2

If you contrast this one with the Pinkun one with Robert Green the difference is that you hardly hear the interviewer, I watch to see what the guest has to say not the Reeve brothers.

• Like 2

Great video. Wasn't a big fan of Chris and Jack a year or so ago, but these videos are great for fans to see and you can't criticise the work the boys have done and their passion for the club - I suspect there is a bit of jealously from other fans. Don't know how many clubs have their players and staff on fan channels like this either. Keep up the good work! 

Jack's fine, he asked some intelligent questions, but Chris interjected, interrupted and generally didn't allow Webber to finish what he was saying. Chris would have been better off winding his neck in and only responding once Webber had finished answering the question he'd been asked.

It was a good watch, but I didn't really gave any new insight.

I like Jack; he makes his guests feel at ease and has a very natural manner. I get the impression Chris is riding on his coat tails a bit.

• Like 1

Haven't watched it yet but credit to the two guys who have worked hard and ended up being able to get interviews with key members of NCFC.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

If you contrast this one with the Pinkun one with Robert Green the difference is that you hardly hear the interviewer, I watch to see what the guest has to say not the Reeve brothers.

Ummm yeah... They're not brothers. Sometimes people have the same surnames and aren't related. I know... CRAZY huh?!

I thought it was good. Well done to the TNC boys for even getting him on the podcast. It's cool that Webber is happy to do that and doesn't shirk away from these sorts of things.

6 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Ummm yeah... They're not brothers. Sometimes people have the same surnames and aren't related. I know... CRAZY huh?!

I thought it was good. Well done to the TNC boys for even getting him on the podcast. It's cool that Webber is happy to do that and doesn't shirk away from these sorts of things.

Apologies for the mix up re the names.

I was trying to be constructive, sometimes less is more.

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Apologies for the mix up re the names.

I was trying to be constructive, sometimes less is more.

Don't need to apologise. I get that those boys can be polarising, but I tip my hat to them because at least they're getting out there and doing something! They clearly love it and, sort of, almost seem as though they can't believe they're being given this type of access to the football club they love. Good on them.

• Like 1

Enjoyable watch but as BG&Y says, it lacked detail and skimmed across several important aspects that could have been dealt with and would have been of interest to viewers. 

Interesting that Jack put forward people's concerns around the membership fiasco and that Webber listened without comment.

The comments Webber made about the 'potential' of the Club was also pleasing, hopefully there'll be some news about whether expansion is under discussion in the short, medium or long term. 

I disagree with the criticisms above.

Interviews come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes from the ruthless interrogations (Paxman) to the cosy chats (Soccer Am).

There are pros and cons to whichever way you do it but, having watched pretty much every interview going with SW I would say that you're being churlish if you think nothing new emerged from this.

Perhaps a few people are guilty of being sneery because they resent seeing other passionate supporters enjoying this opportunity?

• Like 5

I found Conor Southwell’s interview for My Football Writer with Webber a few months ago really well balanced and professionally executed.

It feels less about the interviewer and more about the subject matter, TNC on the other hand seems to push for an equal focus on their footing as fans as much as the subject they’re asking questions to. 

The MFW link below takes you to the written article but I think there’s a video link in there too. Check it out. 

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2019/02/01/webber-exclusive-part-one-the-new-culture-at-norwich-city-football-club/

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Interesting that Jack put forward people's concerns around the membership fiasco and that Webber listened without comment.

Can't help but think that this might be because Webber is the Sporting Director and therefore doesn't have too much say in the commercial aspect, instead focussing on the footballing side.

I would suggest that the person who needs grilling about the membership scheme is Ben Kensell.

9 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

There are pros and cons to whichever way you do it but, having watched pretty much every interview going with SW I would say that you're being churlish if you think nothing new emerged from this.

Perhaps a few people are guilty of being sneery because they resent seeing other passionate supporters enjoying this opportunity?

I wouldn't say nothing new came from it, ultimately it's their interview and they can ask whatever they want. Certainly the Turnbull story and Delia feeling she couldn't come to the training ground was new. 

I mean, when they asked the question at what point he knew we were going up, I knew he was going to answer Forest(A) and Leeds(A) because it's been asked in at least two other interviews. Similarly he's broken down the first six games of the season before, and commented on the mental stresses of the job in his MFW interview.

As Bethnal said, now that the dust had settled it would have been more prudent to talk about future transfers, something Webber was dead-batting during the celebrations.

1 minute ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I found Conor Southwell’s interview for My Football Writer with Webber a few months ago really well balanced and professionally executed.

It feels less about the interviewer and more about the subject matter, TNC on the other hand seems to push for an equal focus on their footing as fans as much as the subject they’re asking questions to. 

The MFW link below takes you to the written article but I think there’s a video link in there too. Check it out. 

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2019/02/01/webber-exclusive-part-one-the-new-culture-at-norwich-city-football-club/

This was a very well executed interview. 

Interviewing is a very hard skill and being able to have structure to make sure you hit all the points you need covered while still being able to probe and expand on points is hard to balance. 

The TNC interview is better if you want to get to know about Webber himself - the MFW is better if you want to know about the football club. 

Jack is good, he has prepared questions and more professional - he also pushes where needed. 

It was basically a fan's interview so nothing insightful was to be expected.

Especially as it was young fans full of positivity, excitement and blind faith regards the immediate future.

Nothing wrong with that but it did strike me that this total enthusiasm and OTT gushiness about everything NCFC needs tempering somewhat.

Yes, we've 'never had it so good,' but perhaps we need to back off a a bit for now.

Everything in the garden is rosy but there's a tough winter ahead. The Summer of our content is unlikely to last forever and we will have to get used to losing again for a start (lessons easily gleaned from the occasional visit to TWTD.)

There's a tough season ahead and one in which we may not meet all the challenges ahead so perhaps a more level headed approach should be adopted. 

Webber himself was quite circumspect about life at the top table, and even mentioned our prospects in The Chumps should we fail this coming season, but this hard reality seemed to float over the two boy's heads.

Good for them , say I, but do not get carried away as the higher the climb the greater the fall.   

Bah humbug!

Edited by BroadstairsR

A very enjoyable interview I thought and yes we have heard some of the material before but well worth watching in my opinion.

The TNC boys always come up with some watchable stuff👍

11 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Everything in the garden is rosy but there's a tough winter ahead. The Summer of our content is unlikely to last forever and we will have to get used to losing again for a start (lessons easily gleaned from the occasional visit to TWTD.)

There's a tough season ahead and one in which we may not meet all the challenges ahead so perhaps a more level headed approach should be adopted. 

Good stuff as always BR, this time last year I think most people were hoping for a push towards the top six. After a wonderful season, with fabulous football and a trophy at the end of it. I'm wondering how long it will be before someone starts slagging off our players after a defeat. 

There were times, last season when people were getting stuck into Krul, Cantwell and McLean and we were winning. Heaven knows what to expect if results don't go our way next season. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, splendidrush said:

SW plainly wasn't going to comment on it and probably told them so.  There was a judicious edit in the video just before that and after it Jack was just basically allowed to say what he wanted, knowing that there was not going to be any comment from SW.

Good video though, thoroughly enjoyable.