Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Frank Lampard

4 hours ago, duke63 said:

Can anyone show me where an ex player has had great success as a a manager at the same club?

He struggled at Derby, IMHO. They had arguably the best squad in the league, certainly one of the highest spenders and Derby got nowhere near automatic promotion.

Another gone by the end of the season.

Zidane. Guardiola

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Zidane. Guardiol

Lennon at Celtic

5 hours ago, duke63 said:

Can anyone show me where an ex player has had great success as a a manager at the same club?

David Stringer 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

A club which, with a potential transfer embargo might need to rely on that youth academy.

Or a club with that embargo might not be the first choice of many proven managers - so why no bring in a 'nightwatchman' (cricket term) instead ?

If Lampard does not succeed well they haven't 'burnt' another manager, and he may well accept a shorter contract to secure the job. So that could be put down to 'he tried but embargo ultimately done for him etc' .... sort of thing.

He succeeds, up his contract, pats on the back and trebles all round

• Like 1

19 hours ago, duke63 said:

He struggled at Derby, IMHO. They had arguably the best squad in the league, certainly one of the highest spenders and Derby got nowhere near automatic promotion.

Another gone by the end of the season.

I just had to check (cos I can't spell) and Roberto diMateo  springs to mind - and look what happened to him after bringing the CL to Stamford Bridge! 

Gotta laugh at Wikipedia - it's as if he was never there...... I hope Frank doesn't suffer the same fate.