Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Frank Lampard

Frank Lampard's Derby County have given Frank Lampard permission to talk to Frank Lampard's Chelsea.

Frank Lampard was unavailable for comment.

• Haha 1

With improvement like that on his cv it can be of no surprise that one of the biggest/wealthiest clubs in the country are after him.

Just as well there’s no head coach at any other club who has a good reputation for decent football/bringing through younger players and who won a title for their club last season...

Edited by Branston Pickle

Yeah, very unfortunate that. Still maybe a better candidate will emerge for them as the season progresses....

Stevie G has already confirmed he is aware of interest from Derby too. 

Seems like both moves will happen. Derby have an interesting recruitment policy don't they. 

Given the circumstances at Chelsea, Frank Lampard might not be the worst option available to them. 

Chelsea need a manager the fans won’t turn on after 6 months, like they did with Sarri - despite his relative success. 

Obviously Lampard isn’t the greatest manager/head coach around, but I’d imagine a lot of the top grade picks are giving Chelsea a bit of a wide birth at the moment - due to the transfer ban and the unrealistic expectations that surround the club. 

If you have to go for someone with a lessor reputation, best to get a club legend in (supported by another club legend as the Technical Director is Petr Cech). I can’t see someone like Farke, being able to go in and convince anyone that Chelsea are ‘in transition’ and not lose their job after the first bad run. 

16 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

supported by another club legend as the Technical Director is Petr Cech

This is the move I'm more confused by to be honest.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

This is the move I'm more confused by to be honest.

Cech is a clever guy and can see why Chelsea want him around. Not sure of what his remit is though in this role, think it is more a bridging role between the manager and the board. He certainly isn’t an all powerful sporting director like Webber is - Marina Granovskaia is still very much in charge of everything. 

Can't really stand Chelsea. One of the first clubs I can remember responsible for bringing this "boutique club" feel into football.

Bunch of fans who think they deserve the world and act like spoiled children when things don't work out. They're another, like Leeds, who have a ridiculously inflated opinion of themselves. Mind you, at least Chelsea have been successful when attempting to buy a title!

But hey. The whole thing is super funny to me and it would make me chuckle very much if they ever found themselves in a relegation battle.

42 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Stevie G has already confirmed he is aware of interest from Derby too. 

Is that the Stevie G of Steven Gerrard's Rangers ?

22 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Is that the Stevie G of Steven Gerrard's Rangers ?

I think they're called "Stevie G's Rangers" 😉

If Gerrard leaves Rangers for a Championship club, that would be another real kick in the teeth for Scottish football. Personally though, assuming the Liverpool job is his ultimate aim, I reckon he'd be better off staying at Rangers anyway. He'll get European football every season and if he can manage it at some point over the next few years, an SPL title would probably look better on his CV than a promotion at Derby, as it would mirror what Liverpool have been trying to achieve for the last 20-odd years (assuming Klopp doesn't win the league in the near future).

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

When we appointed Farke there were a few in the media including Ray Wilkins bemoaning what a shame it was that we hadn't taken on a young British manager, Giggs was the man mentioned at the time despite having only been an assistant

Clubs like Chelsea etc had been taking on foreign players and managers for us but there seemed to some kind of belief that we should be trying out their idols to see if they would be fit for management.

I'm pleased we did it our own way and feel a bit for Derby, one season in which the fans and the players gave him a chance and bought into him now to have to start over. Oh well - They'd have known the risk

Edited by ThorpeCanary

Around 16 managers since 2000 hardly worth unpacking

Still he'll get the usual millions for failure

It's all that is wrong with football....get a load of mercenary players in, jobs for the old boys and "hope" they can all do the job. I like Frank Lampard, but I hope that he can't get Chelsea  (if he goes there) going.   In fact with him in charge and trying to instill some togetherness into his band of mercenaries, we might have an advantage in that early game against them. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

It's all that is wrong with football....get a load of mercenary players in, jobs for the old boys and "hope" they can all do the job. I like Frank Lampard, but I hope that he can't get Chelsea  (if he goes there) going.   In fact with him in charge and trying to instill some togetherness into his band of mercenaries, we might have an advantage in that early game against them. 

Sounds like us with Bryan Gunn 🤣

Can anyone show me where an ex player has had great success as a a manager at the same club?

He struggled at Derby, IMHO. They had arguably the best squad in the league, certainly one of the highest spenders and Derby got nowhere near automatic promotion.

Another gone by the end of the season.

Guardiola did ok at Barca. Zidane has had reasonable success too.

Obviously contrary to media BS, he's not achieved anything vaguely special with Derby.

Saying that, he didnt do a terrible job either. With a transfer embargo and his club status he will be given some time. And Chelsea managers never last long anyway. So if he gets sacked in 2 years he will still be given a championship job after.

Agree Hoggo, he's in a win win situation, if does good , happy days, if not then how can an inexperienced young manager be expected to manage such a Club so early in his managerial career, with a transfer embargo as well. 

Also let's not forget that he may well have Jody Morris with him too, who knows all about the young players that Chelsea have on they books as he was the U18 manager before Derby job.

1 hour ago, duke63 said:

Can anyone show me where an ex player has had great success as a a manager at the same club?

He struggled at Derby, IMHO. They had arguably the best squad in the league, certainly one of the highest spenders and Derby got nowhere near automatic promotion.

How many times do we need to go over this? (I sound like Bill!).

Derby made a profit on player sales for the last two seasons. Granted they have used a lot of financial jiggery poker to cope with earlier high spending (nothing unique there though) but they aren't one of the highest spenders at all.

Looks like Bradley Johnson is out of contract BTW.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I don’t agree with this at all.

A young British manager who started in a lower league, had a decent (if not particularly special) season and is being given a shot at a bigger club. A club which he also happens to know extremely well, a chairman he knows well, a youth set up he and his assistant know extremely well. A club which, with a potential transfer embargo might need to rely on that youth academy.

I’d rather they gave Lampard a go than just bring in another tired old name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duke63 said:

Neil Adams Youth Cup Winners Manager

Forget what happened next

35 minutes ago, Leedscanary said:

He conquered August League Winners Leeds Utd, so cant be all bad

There's an article on the BBC about football terms from around the world, one of them is from South Korea where they have the phrase "having a Leeds season" I thought that meant starting well, people getting carried away before they eventually Fu<k up and bottle it, but, it actually refers to Alan Smith and the season before his man utd move. Essentially it means a once in a lifetime, uncharacteristically exceptional season before reverting to norm...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, duke63 said:

Solksjaer. Broke a few Utd records already I believe