Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

sign wright now.

hammers carved us up on the left wing today - rossi and hendo looked like the boys against men they are.for me, city are like a stroke victim, lifeless down one side. we''re the biz left side, (drury, hucks) poo on the right. wright looked v. solid and as good as eddy, he''s defo ahead of colin and lj.we also need a right winger who provides a right sided threat. hit and hoof is no good.get wright here now!

In the first place worthy should have never gave edworthy away (big mistake!!!). I also thought wright was very solid but he didnt seem to be a very good attacking player unlike edworthy who got involved with the attacking as well as defending! I also feel that Worthington hasnt really replaced him because Helvig wasnt any good and neither is Colin.

Wright was nothing special and again there''s little point in signing players who probably won''t cut it at the top level. Colin needs time to settle into the english game. Helveg was also a great player played out of position but his quality showed in those last couple of months

How much of Helveg did you see to judge that he "wasn''t any good"? Surely it''s just another one of the managers many many mistakes of last season that he chose to stick with a Championship-at-best hard worker in Edworthy rather than an experienced international, who, incidentally, joined the team in our best spell of last season. Who knows what would have happened had we played our better players all season? As for RB position, I think Wright would be a decent aquisition. Although we haven''t seen much of MLJ this season (we didn''t lose a game while he was in the team, but didn''t win either) hopefully he will be fit soon so we can see what he can do more consistantly.

Can''t believe some of you. Jarvis did a solid job considering who he was up against and that right back isn''t his natural position. He looked confident on the ball and waited for the right option rather than just hoofing it forward. He got forward on occasions and remember it was his cross that led to the penalty. I saw more potential in Jarvis than I have Colin who is more often than not hopeless. Henderson was in my opinion one of our biggest threats going forward and had possibly his best game for a long time. You have to remember that they were up against two players who are knocking on the door of the England squad. Come on lads, Jarvis has just made his first start in which he did a solid job yet your going on about Edworthy. Yes we probably should have kept him, but we didn''t but don''t get on the lads back when he did pretty well considering.

But isnt MLJ out for the rest of the season? If he is then we still dont have anybody up to the job as right back. It reminds me of Pascal Cygan playing at left back for Arsenal!

This is all quite interesting and proves that everyone has an opinion, and they are often different - which is why it must be a nightmare to be a manager.  I too would probably try to bring Wright back in, and I also thought Helveg was better than Eddie - we would have been sensible to make more of an effort to keep at least one of them.  That said, one of the bigger problems we''ve had this season is that MLJ was surely our first choice RB and hasn''t really played at all.

IMO the whole right side should be the priority in the January window. We need a solid right-back who can also attack down the wing and we need a right-winger who can beat a player and cross and also help defend when needed. Right-back their is John Halls from Stoke who is probably the best in the league and currently only has 5 months left on his contract, if not then their is Keith Foley from Luton who is not as solid as Halls but knows how to tackle and is very good going forward. Right-wing thier are not to many options available, Palace and Sheff utd snapped up the better ones at the start of the season in Mcanuff and Ifill but their is talent out thier like Neil Danns who is running riot in League one with 10 goals from right mid including one against sheff utd today in the cup.

In reply to comments already made under this topic

1) i agree that edworthy should never have been released

2)rossi J got better as the game went on and was up against a very good player, jurgen colin and eddy would have done bo better

3) i thought hendo was our best attacking player today, he looked lively and got stuck in

4) wright was average and i would prefer to see a) money spent in areas which we are poor, (midfield) and b) its about time the youngsters got a chance, when spillane came on he looked better than etuhu and charlton.

Rossi was out of position (that makes a change for worthless).As for

louis John i think he is crap as was proven last year when he played in

the most leaky defence in the division im only glad hes been injured

this season otherwise things would of been even worse in defence and

they are now.I didnt take much notice of him at froest but in a Norwich

shirt i think he looked ok going forward but a liability at the back.

Svensson,

You are right, I didn''t mean to slate Jarvis and of course I am making allowances for his lack of experience. I just thought that we looked exposed on that area of the pitch. I certainly think that he should be given an opportunity to have a go in his proper position but with no right back at the moment it looks as though that is where he is needed. Was just making the point that we should be looking to strengthen the team on the right hand side during January.   

My big criticism is that people expect too much; they want a solid right back with attacking ability and a right winger with flair pace and ability to cross.

Wake up folks! Those sort of players are hardly going to be avaliable for the prices we''re able to afford, are they??

David Wright represents about the level of player we can attract and afford. A capable Championship right back, that had just four matches to show what he was capable of. IMO, he was head and shoulders above Colin in terms of consistency, even if his ability on a Colin good day was about similar. For me, I''d sign him up.

As for a right winger, I agree we need someone badly. But like I said; who?

If Worthington is looking to bring a new right back to the club he should be going for John Halls if he and the club have any ambition.

We have been linked with Halls before, he is out of contract in June and would probably be available for £500k.

The only problem may be that he is out injured till the end of January.

Signing David Wright would be in line with all the other signings we have made so far this season and he again would be another player who would have to be off loaded should we ever get back to the Premiership. We have too many of those so lets get some players in of real quality, after all aren''t we aiming to be an established Premiership club or are we going to throw this opportunity away.

[quote user="svensson19"]Can''t believe some of you. Jarvis did a solid job considering who he was up against and that right back isn''t his natural position. He looked confident on the ball and waited for the right option rather than just hoofing it forward. He got forward on occasions and remember it was his cross that led to the penalty. I saw more potential in Jarvis than I have Colin who is more often than not hopeless. Henderson was in my opinion one of our biggest threats going forward and had possibly his best game for a long time. You have to remember that they were up against two players who are knocking on the door of the England squad. Come on lads, Jarvis has just made his first start in which he did a solid job yet your going on about Edworthy. Yes we probably should have kept him, but we didn''t but don''t get on the lads back when he did pretty well considering.
[/quote]  I agree with you 100% Svensson19.  Sadly there are a number of posters on this site who think like Worthy in that you should never bring in the youngsters unless you are desperate through injuries.  Henderson did well yesterday and at least tried to put their defenders under a bit of pressure.  Jarvis was nervous to start with but in Etherington he was up against one of the best left wingers in the Premiership, who gives problems to right backs in that league every week.  As you quite rightly say Jarvis is primarily a midfielder, as is Spillane who showed real composure in the short time he was on.  Cave-Brown is a natural right back so why don''t we give him a chance instead of talking about who we are going to bring in at right back.

Just for once I would like to see Worthy give one of the youngsters a run in the team.  Shackell, Henderson, Jarvis brothers, Spillane and Cave Brown are the stars that have, or are coming up through the academy, but sadly not one of them has been given a consistent run in the team.  These are all confident, talented, enthusiastic, and hardworking players who are desperate to make it in the first team; now all they need is a manager who is prepared to give them that chance.

If Worthy cannot see their potential then he should step aside and we should bring in Webb and Williams.  We have an academy set up to produce good yougsters because we are never going to compete financially with the big clubs.   George Burley brought on his 16 yr old Blackstock yesterday, and he is almost certain to get more games; on the other hand we brought on our 16 yr old Spillane ( captain of the Irish under 17 team) but will we see him again this season, I doubt it.  On the positive side these youngsters should be able to play well into their 40''s because there is no fear of them burning themselves out under Worthy.

[quote user="Andrew Nickerson"]

David Wright represents about the level of player we can attract and afford. A capable Championship right back, that had just four matches to show what he was capable of. IMO, he was head and shoulders above Colin in terms of consistency, even if his ability on a Colin good day was about similar. For me, I''d sign him up.

[/quote]Agree 100% andrew.  wright settled in like he''d always played with us and looked the part for me.wright, doc, flem & drury represent a solid back 4 -  IMO, this combo is the equal of our promotion winning equivalent and if we don''t go up this year, they would be a genuine force to be reckoned with next season. (although perhaps shacks could come in for a 35 yr old flem).city needs a right winger to give the team another option when going foward.  a good solid player would do - cooper didn''t set the world alight, but he did a good job for us there and we looked better balanced for it.  anyone similar would do for us - at the moment we''ve got nothing.

poor rossi had a torrid time vs etherington.

i would have thought it preferable to have played with  a back fourof (Fleming/Doherty/Charlton/Drury) and play Rossi or Brennan in midfied instead.

Going back to the original post though I agree that Wright has been the best right-back this season and couldn''t beleive how quietly he departed. (Did we lose with him in-situ). I would like to see him sign (why didn''t Worthy elaborate on the reasons for him not staying or did i miss something). Jurgen Colin though is dreadful so we need to get a half-decent right-back soon.

the thing is Colin isn''t a bad player,

his problem is the lack of support or consistancy in front of him!! i.e our right midfield problem.

What I find interesting is that people are suggesting that young Rossi played out of position!

From what I have been lead to believe (please inform me if I am wrong here) is that he has played in defence for the youth team and it is only recently that he has been played in midfield.

However the right side is a problem for us. However I think Eddy went for contractual reasons rather than footballing ability - he was offered a good extension and wanted more. When he changed his mind we offered him a slightly worse off one and he said "Tah but not my cup of tea!" and left. You have to remember that by this point he had probably been talking to a lot of other clubs.

I think Worthington also realises that like Charlton we can not keep throwing money at the squad - we have to try and get players that will stick around for a few years yet. Edworthy''s weakness was pace and at the time we had him 32 and Helveg 33 and it was obvious that we needed a younger understudy - step forward Colins.

I think the original theory was to bring in Louis-Jean and experienced pro who is quick to play right wing or right back, a bit like Steen used to, and to also act as mentor to Colins who at 22/23 is still learning and obviously needs time to adjust to the faster more ferocious style of football over here.

I think Hendo gets better with every game, I for one would have liked him have a few more games up front as he did a good job there when given the chance earlier in the season.

The thing I can''t stick is the people who say give the youngsters a chance only to slag them off as well.

Can someone tell me if Spillane plays out on the right or if he can because surely that would also be an option. If not who is in the youth team/reserves who plays in that position because if we a weak there I don''t see any reason why we can''t try out what we have before buying in some other player.

Central midfield is starting to shape up but I would like to see a left winger brought in too - its no good having just Huckerby to play out there when sometimes we may benefit from playing a solid 4-4-2 or even a 3-4-3 should the manager wish to stick with the three up front.

Whatever happens I have faith because so far we have strengthened where it has been needed.