Sign in to follow this  
sheded

Prem class ??

There`s been a lot of verbals on this forum  about players being prem class  or champ class , as though there`s a sudden sharp distinction   in skill level  between any player in the prem and champ . A distinction I have never bought into !

Today we have   the opportunity  to see   whether  this  distintion has any substance ,  the   part-time  minnows  , like Burton Albion  against the plutocrats  like Manu  for instance !  

On the face of it , that match should end in something like 15 -nil to Manu  ... should be fascinating  to watch  .... I hope the brewers  rub their noses in it !

Burton Albion   has , without doubt ,  a team who play FOR each other  , no  prima donna`s  in their squad !   Realistically   , nobody will expect  Burton to win , but it will be the style they lose in that will tell the tale  ..... and they  do have Clough`s son managing them !     [;)]

Thought I`d resurrect this thread  , if only to register my admiration  of the Burton battlers !   that match had everything ,  pure entertainment from start to finish , with  plenty of drama thrown in !

Granted that in the first 70 minutes Manu didn`t risk  their big guns , even so they fielded  all their prem players , and  , IMO  were very lucky   not to be one down in the first half , I know a penalty when I see one  ...   Burton started a bit defensive  in the second half ,  but they certainly knew HOW to defend !  

Fergie   paid them the ultimate accolade on the 70th minute by bringing on Rooney and  Ronaldo , but even those two proved ineffective  !  

This result [ and others ]  sort of proves the point I tried to make in this thread  , which is that all this yak about " prem class "    doesn`t bear  close examination !    what  the top prem clubs have  is just a few   really gifted players , the Rooneys, Ronaldos , Lampards , etc   the rest could be just  competant , without being outstanding ....  the bottom six of the prem , and the top six of the fizz  are interchangeable  ... easily ! 

Bottom line ?     a good TEAM  will   have the beating of  a bunch of prima donnas  posing as a team !!    

Nigel !    forget the  droppings of the  fizzy league   ,  look at the lower leagues [ inc the conference ! ]   for REAL genuine hungry players !    the talent IS there  ,  Albion had it in spades  !!!!!!!!!  

I agree with you Sheded. Football is a funny game at times!!! However rich the club is, however much the players cost, the richer side can never guarentee themselves a win.

I don''t think it bodes well for England if Rooney seemed ineffective against Burton Albion when he has got the World Cup in 6 months.......

Another example was the Clyde team that beat Celtic yesterday. Clyde''s manager, Graham Roberts, has had a questionable career ( lower level success and disputes ) but he recruited the Clyde team this past July as basically young drop-outs from other clubs and built a team that is playing reasonably well. Their ages span from 18 with the oldest at 22.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Another example was the Clyde team that beat Celtic yesterday. Clyde''s manager, Graham Roberts, has had a questionable career ( lower level success and disputes ) but he recruited the Clyde team this past July as basically young drop-outs from other clubs and built a team that is playing reasonably well. Their ages span from 18 with the oldest at 22.

[/quote]every dog has his day!  celtic played very poorly  - could be trouble behind the scenes there with keano & strachan dynamic.

What a tremendous performance by the Burton battlers. Fergie was guilty of showing a lack of respect for the opposition though, by playing virtually a reserve side.You would have thought he had learnt his lesson last season when Exeter City held United''s second string to a draw in the initial FA Cup encounter. It''s pretty much a certainty he won''t make the same mistake in the replay at Old Trafford

Yeah , Fergie  certainly got a bit of an  an eye opener  on Sunday !    if Manu  had any chance of overtaking  Chelsea   I doubt whether he would bother   sending out his big guns , but the cup  is now his only chance  of silver  in the UK  ,  so out they`ll  come  in the replay!    I don`t think this`ll phase Burton  ...  they`ve already  achieved the impossible , and earned  the big payday , so they`ll be more relaxed than the prima donnas   in the replay ,  one to watch  !!!  

Hope our team  watched that match  ,   they could learn so much !