Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

A little grovel and humble pie!

Nigel Worthington has balls!, yep, he''s shown me and others up a bit, hasn''t he? (although I will claim my Hexes helped him a bit[;)]) I may have been slightly wrong about him, and I will govel and apologise to him on here now.

I''m so sorry Nigel.

No doubt some posters won''t allow me to do that, and they will insist on their pound of flesh too!. But tough luck, I''ve already said it.

To beat Sheffield Utd in their own back yard, took class and guts, so well done everybody.

Shame it took so long hey?.

A foul and dasterly Hex be upon Burnley!.

PS: Can we drop theWorthy Out avatars now please?, and end the divisions between the WO and the KTFers, we''ve all made our points now, lets just get united behind City NOW.

Agreed?.

PPS: Be aware, that I will (as requested) be calling for other teams to beat City....................fear not, its a kind of magic!.   [li]

If only it were that simple Wiz. Another loss or two and the Worthy Outers will be back out in force. But I would say, to those who felt that Burley has the midas touch and could have turned us around in an instant... he''s not had instant success at Soton has he?  I know, just one game, but I thought a team with a new manager were usually fired-up and won their first game...?

Trouble is, we live in a throw-away culture nowadays. If something''s broken we don''t fix it, we bin it and start again. That''s very expensive and, are we better off for it?

this is not my opinion but  i do agree with some of the points : off of Wrathofthebarclay:

I''ll be happy with Worthington when

a/ He realises Hughes is nowhere near good enough to play at this level
b/ His transfer dealings are better and we start signing young hungry players as opposed to journeyman pros.
c/ His teams play more positively
d/ We can work out how/why he has made that bizarre substitution that has us all saying "why"??
e/ He makes the best of our limited resources.
f/ We sign a right sided midfielder

Until he starts to work out some of these very basic things, he will not have my support as team manager.

KentonCanary

I''m not so fickle that I will change my mind on the basis of 3 results.  It took me a long time to want Worthington to go and I''m not going to change my mind back in a week.  Having said that, I am delighted at our recent performances and I''m not so arrogant to see that Nigel has had nothing to do with it.  WLY has been playing really well and it''s great to see him get in the goals.  Fair play to Worthington for sticking his neck out and playing him.  His tactics and substiutions have been spot on in recent games so fair play to him for that.

January is a seriously important month though.  It will make or break our season.  We must sign the right players.  We must boost the squad and my god, we must sign a right sided midfielder!  If Worthington can do these things I will be absolutely delighted.  I have said all along that I will be only too happy to eat humble pie and apologise if Worthington does turn it around.  We''ve made a fantastic start to the christmas period and I''m over the moon 

I agree with you, DDIM, one swallow doesn''t make a summer and all that! However, I disagree with you about McVeigh - it is common sense to play our most creative player, rather than sticking your neck out.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

this is not my opinion but  i do agree with some of the points : off of Wrathofthebarclay:

b/ His transfer dealings are better and we start signing young hungry players as opposed to journeyman pros.
d/ We can work out how/why he has made that bizarre substitution that has us all saying "why"??

Until he starts to work out some of these very basic things, he will not have my support as team manager.

KentonCanary

[/quote]

Paul:

Am I the only one on Planet City (apart from Worthy) who actually likes Andy Hughes?. 

I like his passion and comittment to the City cause, and not forgetting his ability (yes he does have loads of that!) and I also admire the way he ''pumps up'' the supporters at games.

Although I agreed with much of your post apart from (a) and (c) (3 wins on the trot is pretty positive in my books) I''m afraid on Hughes we must agree to differ.

Haven''t read this board for a while, and the first post I come to has cutnpaste my comments off WotB!!

I''d just like to add to the first point that I made is that Hughes is becoming this season''s Gary Holt. Hughes, like Holt was in his last season, was nowhere near good enough, and his exclusion from the team and recent improved results are no coincidence.

Lets hope that Worthington finally susses that Hughes is not up to it, and he doesn''t work it out (like Holt) when it''s too late, like last season.

For all those "Worthy In" folk - remember that Hughes absence from the team was enforced, and our captain would have been playing on Saturday if fit. Has an injury ever saved a manager''s job??

The jury is still very much out on our manager.

The jury has returned a "rubbish" verdict on our Captain though.

King, I don''t agree that it takes a big man to do what 1st Wizard does. In my opinion, Wizard is typical of the average football supporter, fickle to the extreme. Let''s see, they were promoted...I''m for him.  They were relegated....I''m against him....They had a terrible start....I''m against him...They''ve won three in a row....I''m for him.....We''re going down to the next level with Worthless ....In the next breath....we look like we can make the playoffs.

I''m not suggesting there is anything wrong with being a typical football supporter....just recognise the situation for what it is. It is not based upon bravado or courage but rather on the ability of a football club to fill a vacuum in the life of a typical football supporter. There are, of course, some football supporters who are able to see the merits of good club performance, no matter what colours are being worn. We see some of them posting on this message board but they are not typical. In the case of Norwich City, this current management group, despite having some good attributes,  is not THE ONE that will carry the club through a good run of Premiership seasons. That much is clear. What is less clear is what will happen in the shorter term during coming the coming weeks should Ashton ( at least ) depart, coupled with what level of funding becomes available for new recruits, and the nature of such recruits.

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

Fair play to Worthington for sticking his neck out and playing him.  His tactics and substiutions have been spot on in recent games so fair play to him for that.

[/quote]agree with alot of what you said dd, but lets not forget, mcveigh only got his chance because of an injury to thorne at crewe. worthy picked hughes to play left midfield (right back & midfield at reading, right midfield and right winger under worthy) and its only when hucks came on for hughes with 30 mins left the chances were created to score.we have a better chance of reaching the playoffs than we did 3 games ago and whatever anyone thinks of worthy - he must deserve some of the credit for that - or the motivational guy does. did worthy or delia hire the shrink?

It took me a long time to believe that Worthy should move on and I finally did so when I felt he had lost the will to fight.

Perhaps his lousy interview tecnique gives a poor impression as he clearly remained staunch and we shouldn''t confuse passion and commitment with ''Colin'' style rants.

However, for me it is all about the players and managing the players mind and body to get the right attitude which you don''t have to be a psychologist to understand. Anyone who does any sort of fitness training knows that a positive mindset improves a performance. It is up to Worthy to prepare this.

Worthy has tried to change the mix. But have you noticed that results like yesterday rely on the tried and trusted and when people like Drury. McVeigh. Huckerby, Fleming, Green, Charlton and Safri begin to play well we look so much better? Why did we not have the courage to stick to our values and pass the ball in earlier matches.

Worthy has done well and deserves until the end of the season to show genuine and consistent improvement. Also, I need to feel more confident in his ability to build a balanced squad and a large enough squad and I certainly want to see players in their proper positions. I want him to prove he can buy good players at proper prices and give youth a chance.

Best of all I am glad he is no longer disrespected by some supporters and there is no longer an air of anarchy because the latter will stop me going to games a long time before the football does.

Incidentally Wiz, it is a noble thing to admit you have changed your mind but surely there must have been some issues other than the performance and results themselves which perturbed you. I have outlined my lingering doubts, do you have any and if so what are they?

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

PS: Can we drop theWorthy Out avatars now please?, and end the divisions between the WO and the KTFers, we''ve all made our points now, lets just get united behind City NOW.

Agreed?.

[/quote]

What a pathetic, hypocritical post.  Talk about sing when you''re winning (dressed-up as some sort of noble statement of integrity...)

Get behind City now?  Would suggest that any City fan with a modicum of integrity would be behind City full-stop. 

i think worthy is a decent manager at this level - i think he had a disaster in the transfers this year, he let his personal feuds let players go and his signings have been less than inspired.

I think he has got VERY LUCKY recently, injuries have forced him to put mcVeigh in and this has turned our season somewhat. Doherty whom i should imagine he was wishing he hadnt signed last season has proven to be a star at this level.

Lets hope he LEARNS from this stroke of luck, and he improves his buying in the xmas period.

finally i just think he has the whole look and approach of Gary Megson about him, he just will not be good enough to manage in the premiership. some of the players he seems to rate are distictly below average. 

Lets hope i get the chance to be proven wrong.

As I said, a few ''pound of flesh'' and ''holier than thou'' supporters won''t allow me to make amends.

So be it, posters like that don''t matter in the long term, only City''s continued victories are important, and I''m happy with that!.

Rudolph:

I said I may have been SLIGHTLY wrong about Worthy, not compleatly wrong mate. NW has done bloody well over the last 3 games, but he''s not out of the woods yet in my eyes.

I apologised to him, because he kept strong, stood his ground, and didn''t give in (mind you the ''Stowmarket two'' would have never sacked him anyway!)

Posters like Yankee Canary call me fickle, and he may to a degree, have a point, because I''m now prepared to wait and see what happens in January (who comes and goes, results etc) before I rejoin the Worthy Out lads and lasses (all top and loyal City fans I must add) I believe ''sitting on the fence'' is the correct expression!.[;)]

However, one things for sure, I''ll never join the KTFers, as they get too personel in debating points on here!.

I would like to see Worthy do:

1. Better signings and address our right side.

2. Fight tooth and nail to keep Ashton, at least until the end of the season.

3. Stop favoring his favourites and start giving the youth a go.

If he can achieve the above, then I will become very pro Worthy, I, like Worthy, am still turning that corner, and I, like him, haven''t got round it yet!.

Lucky? In god''s name how can you say he has been lucky? Our injuries this year have been unbelievable. We''ve had no proper midfield for the most part of this season, that''s why we''ve been rubbish because there''s been no engine room, no heart of the team. The central defensive pairing was never settled at the start with combinations of shackell, davenport and fleming and up front of thorne, ashton, mcveigh, mckenzie. And we know how many combinations we''ve had in the middle.

The spine of the team has been settled for the last few games - the middle two, safri at least and the front two and guess what, we''ve found some form. If it had been mckenzie up there i don''t think it''d have made any difference. Sure WLY has more skill but leon has his pace and energy - it''s the settled team that has been the key. The manager has had more pressure than you can imagine, has had his management abilities called into question and his life must have been a nightmare recently for him and his family.

But he hasn''t once flinched, he has stuck to his guns and finally things are showing signs or turning and all he gets from some people is "pah, you got lucky". Is it any wonder that he says he doesn''t care what the fans think? He can''t afford to pay attention to the fans rants and raves becuase 99% of it is absolute rubbish.

Well i am not buying into any of this C**P

worthy is still worthless, another couple of defeats and we will be

back to square one with another ten games gone, no hope of promotion.

we will see, and to all the KTF mob - I not going away.

I Can not support a manager who attacks the clubs fans - full stop.

WORTHY OUT

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]Well i am not buying into any of this C**P

worthy is still worthless, another couple of defeats and we will be back to square one with another ten games gone, no hope of promotion.

we will see, and to all the KTF mob - I not going away.

I Can not support a manager who attacks the clubs fans - full stop.

WORTHY OUT

[/quote]

Your last line is very hard to argue against Ronbol, I shall have to think very carefully which direction I go in now, thanks for reminding me of that point.

In the euphoria of our three wins I''d plump forgotten his rant!.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Lucky? In god''s name how can you say he has been lucky? Our injuries this year have been unbelievable. We''ve had no proper midfield for the most part of this season, that''s why we''ve been rubbish because there''s been no engine room, no heart of the team. The central defensive pairing was never settled at the start with combinations of shackell, davenport and fleming and up front of thorne, ashton, mcveigh, mckenzie. And we know how many combinations we''ve had in the middle.

[/quote]yes agreed we have been hit by injuries, but its also fair to say worthy hasn''t made the best use of his resources.  in dicko, safs and robbo we have proper midfield players now (and jarrett in his plymouth form).  under worthy this season the players have underperformed and its taken a motivational guru to make the players believe in themselves and show their true form.

A1 Canary Posted: -

"Lucky? In god''s name how can you say he has been lucky? Our injuries this year have been unbelievable. We''ve had no proper midfield for the most part of this season, that''s why we''ve been rubbish because there''s been no engine room, no heart of the team. The central defensive pairing was never settled at the start with combinations of shackell, davenport and fleming and up front of thorne, ashton, mcveigh, mckenzie. And we know how many combinations we''ve had in the middle"

Our genuine midfielder at the start of the year was Jarrett, Hughes, Marney, Safri, plus Hucks. Others who were options were Charlton, Brennan, & McVeigh, plus Rossi Jarvis. The options not really call themselves first-choice midfielders and Rossi Jarvis has not been given a chance. The only real option on the right was a teenage loan player.

It does not take a genius to work out that a couple of knocks to players and there will be a crisis. Plus two of his signing are rubbish (Jarrett & Hughes). Relying on a teenage loan player at right midfield, as proved last yeat with Bentley, is not a good long term option.

Players get injured, suspended, lose form, & may have off-field problems. It didn''t happen in our championship year because we were extremely lucky. Relying on having the same midfield each week is naive in the extreme.

Your other comment about our defensive pairing is laughable. The opening day saw us with Flem at RCB and the Doc at LCB. Shackell was not selected. The Doc had a shocker against Coventry, got dropped for Shackell for the Crewe match, who was "fully fit", as opposed to not fit at all. The Doc & Flem both played at Southend in the pre-season friendly at Southend at looked very suspect. Shackell got dropped after a bad game at Watford, and the Doc finally gets his chance at RCB. Davenport was a loan, but did not play at Watford in the first half for some bizarre reason. So by my reckoning we''ve had one injury to a CB (Shackell was injured in the reserves and was not in contention), and plenty of different selection.

So Worthington plays Flem at on the left of the two CB''s with the Doc now establsihed as RCB and it seems to be working now.  That looks like selection by luck to me. Had Worthington not even tried Doc at RCB and Flem at LCB in pre-season or even thought about it?  Unlikely, and it''s obvious from his selections that at the start of the season Worthington had no idea what his best centre back pairing was or even which side they should play - IN THE TWO POSTIONS WHERE STABILITY IS MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!

I''ll stop now as the reader of this mesage will have probably nodded off.

And some of you wonder why we have doubts about our manager??

Wiz,

You seem to be up and down like a Yo-yo on this one.

Please take this in the nicest possible way when I say: Keep your mouth shut on this one until you''ve mad your mind up for sure. You’ll end up annoying a lot of people if you keep changing your mind.

I was always behind Worthy 100% and am proud of him, the team and the fans alike after the last three games and long may it continue.

My fear is that if we lose tonight you''ll be back on here tomorrow calling for Worthington’s head, back with your Worthy Out Avatar.

I personally wouldn''t hold anything against any Worthy Outers who changes there mind over the next few weeks, but please make sure your mind is changed before you start saying things you might not mean!

What Worthy said about the fans was taken out of context, I thought that had been covered some time ago. I too, said a few games a go that Worthy should go, but on this recent run, I''m prepared to eat humble pie.  I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Paul Rankin"]

KentonCanary

[/quote]

Paul:

Am I the only one on Planet City (apart from Worthy) who actually likes Andy Hughes?. 

I like his passion and comittment to the City cause, and not forgetting his ability (yes he does have loads of that!) and I also admire the way he ''pumps up'' the supporters at games.

Although I agreed with much of your post apart from (a) and (c) (3 wins on the trot is pretty positive in my books) I''m afraid on Hughes we must agree to differ.

[/quote]

just out of interest Wiz did u admire David Neilsen??? he did exactly rthe same thing.. i feel for a cheap pop... i remember him running over to pump up the crowd once and being told by the Barclay exactly what he could do.. he lookede confused but performances get the crowd going.. not sauntering around shaking ur fist at them for little productivity

jas :)

[quote user="westoncanary."]What Worthy said about the fans was taken

out of context, I thought that had been covered some time ago. I too,

said a few games a go that Worthy should go, but on this recent run,

I''m prepared to eat humble pie.  I hope he continues to prove me

wrong.[/quote]

Yes it was covered sometime ago, but I heard it with my own ears - It

was not taken out of context, he knew exactly what he was saying. I

have also heard him mention the fans before personally and was not very

kind. He is a nasty piece of work just ask a few of the EX players!

So long as the results keep improving he can call me what he likes.  A good manager is not always a popular one, that''s something that applies to all jobs, not just footballers.  As for ex players moaning about him, how many of them have we actually missed? Mulryne? Francis,(maybe a bit more than we''d like to admit). 

I think calling Worthington a good manager you must still be on the xmas beer.

Someone like paul jewell who looks like keeping wigan in the

premiership is a good manager. Our performance in the premier league

was nothing short of pathetic.

Our performance this season is utter S**T

WORTHY OUT