Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Ideal Team - invest

Our midfield has been pretty poor all season (safri and hucks apart).  Im still unsure about Etuhu and Robinson.  Although both pale in comparison to a Safri - Koumas Central midfield partnership - put Robinson/Hughes/Jarrett(plymouth form) in the mix and hucks playing fairly forward and i reckon you have got the dogs Boll...ks promotion winning team - Hell Ashton may well even stay if we invest an but of cash..

There you go robinson 200,000 from Sunderland and Koumas a 1.5 million investment - if we fail to get promoted we pay off the money spent by selling Green and/or Ashton.

Green

Louis Jean   Doherty   Shackell   Drury

Koumas   Safri    Robinson

Hucks

Ashton   Mckenzie

Subs

Jarvis/Thorne
Flemking/Charlton/Colin
McVeigh
Andy Hughes/Jarrett(Plymouth Style)  
Ward

I am truly concerned about our midfield, like a lot of people have been for a long time. Hughes, Jarrett, Etuhu and Robinson are just not good enough for us. Koumas would be an excellent buy, as would a natural right-sided midfielder. The problem is that Worthington goes for workhorses rather than flair players and this is why Deano''s struggled to get any supply.

i fail to see how you can justify paying 200k (which is a lot of money for us) on Robinson, when he goes missing far too often! i have seen him in 3 games now for us and in all of them i have forgotten he''s even on the pitch... Derby was the worst when i thought he''d been substituted only for my mate to point out otherwise towards the end of the game.

I cant remember him doing anything on saturday either... made a few sideways balls and that was it... did he even tackle or run?!

jas :)

Robinson is not worth buying. My ideal team for a reasonable price (2 mill) would be:

Green

Halls (Stoke) Shackell    Doherty     Drury

Kristiansen    Safri    Koumas  Huckerby

Eastwood    Ashton

Subs: McVeigh, Colin, Etuhu, McKenzie, Ward

Koumas has attitude problems so i would prefer another midfielder, there are plenty of good ones around the championship i just cant think of one. However, there is no way that Worthington is going to get any of Halls, Eastwood, Koumas or Kristiansen

I think you hit the nail on the head Northern, Koumas indeed does have an attitude problem, and that alone will put Worthy off getting him, but like you, I would just love him in the City side.

If Worthy wanted Eastwood (who I rate highly) then you''re talking big bucks, possibly what we paid for Deano last season, so I don''t think thats on at all.

Mind you, hands up all who remember me saying 15 minutes before it happened  ''We''ll never sign Ashton''!.

I dont think we need any defenders for this season.  We do need midfielders and would like us to make a pitch for Koumas (which worthy has already ruled out) Commons or Idiakez and I would not be adverse to Robinson who is more effective than hughes and so would be a useful squad signing give how few central midfielders we posses.  

Kristiansen would be good but really is a pipe dream - would helveg or the danish coach recommend us over a bundesliga team?. 

Up front and only if Deano goes (WLY, Leon, Jarvis (if he is ever fit again) and Thorne should give us enough options with Deano) I would prefer Fryatt to Eastwood to trundle... 

Halford would be worth pitching for if available.

But most are pretty unlikely

OTBC

Northern - You just would not get that team for £2m. Koumas 1.5, Halls 500 k Thats  two mill before you look any further

I guess we will see prudence vs ambition. Has anyone else this season thought about the rubbish on the pitch and then looked up at the infill between south and river end stands. me wonders if we could have used our premiership money better.

I dont see fredy eastwood going for more than say 500,000 - its about the going rate for a low division striker (ala sam parkin to ipswich).  Koumas is a superb player his record this season is outstanding and ini cardiff''s 0-0 draw last weekend he created all the games best chances. I reckon a 1 to 1.5 million investment would be well worth it - there are more than enough clubs willing to pay that for him and he is still young so i dont see it as money lost.

Robinson may be available on a free as i am sure sunderland do not wanna pay his wages and they got him on a free.

I think the interest already shown in eastwood and his age means he will attract more.  McLeod in the same league will need more than  the £1.3m that wolves have already offered and Wycombe (lower league again) have also rejected £800k bids from weds and other for Nathan Tyson.

The problem remains that there are few young strikers and plenty of relatively cash rich clubs prepared to buy one.

OTBC

[quote user="Northern Canary"]:
Koumas has attitude problems so i would prefer another midfielder, there are plenty of good ones around the championship i just cant think of one. [/quote]

I beg to differ  - i beleive Koumas is THE outstanding midfielder in this division.  The only players i would consider replacing him with are Michael Brown or Steve Sidwell, only because of Koumas''s suposed attitude problem.

His record speaks for itself.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=5908&cc=5739

English League Championship21 games2 sub 7 Goals5 Assists

Carling Cup 2 games1 sub 1 Goals1 Assists

For a midfielder i dare say he is second to none in the art of scoring and creating goals - the exact problem we have been having for the most part this season.

BUT NW aint gonna even try and sign him (I think NW is not very intelligent to be honest) he would rather spend money on Andy Hughes

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=5414&cc=5739 5 assists in 5 years

Yes, sorry. I said it was under 2 million but that was before i wrote the team out. I think it would come to

Jan Kristiansen 950K/1mil
Koumas 1.5 mil
Eastwood 1 mil
Halls : Free when he leaves Stoke due to no contract.

i would sell green for about 2million and hopefully have then another 2 million giving us 4 million.

we could then have.

Ward

Halls      Doherty      Shackell/flem      Drury

Safri,       idiakes     commons

mcveigh    ashton,    Hucks

subs, gallagher, shackell/flem, hughes, leon and eastwood

Halls - no more than 500k because of contract. Idiakes - 1million, commons - 750k, eastwood - 750 K and etuhu or robinson for cover. (cheap

This would cost 3 million and isn''t unrealistic because all players would come.

People like charlton, thorne, jarret and brennan would have to go. This could raise 500k. You would stll have both jarvis'', colin, etuhu, henderson and then as i keep saying use youngsters like martin, cave-brown and spillane in the squad if needed.

To my original squad we could add a couple of loan players, perhaps Davenport andsomeone like Rossi at man u.

I don''t feel we need that many signings - the basis for a good squad as 2 years ago is already here - we are just that 1 or 2 midfielders away from a top team. 

The strikeforce

Ashton
Mckenzie
McVeigh
Huckerby
Thorne
Jarvis

should be more than enough - its jus a shame it has taken NW so long to partner McVeigh and ashton. I mean the wolves game are midfield (Huckerby, Brennan, Jarrett,  Henderson) was so bad you Shearer and Owen would have been anonymous up front -who gets blamed the lil man.....guess he wasnt winning any of those long balls pumped up to him!!  and the luton away midfield (Henderson, Hughes, Brennan, Huckerby) shocking..

Funny how in both those shockers we had a striker on the right wing and a left back in centre midfield.