Sign in to follow this  
sheded

Svengali ?

Must say I had a laugh when I learned the Nigel now employs a psychologist  ,   and that it was largely  due to this   shrink that we have had two good results !   whats he doing ... hypnotising them ?    look out for glazed eyes  during the future  matches  , thats the ones in a trance  !![:P]

totally disagree with you there sheded; psychology is a big part of sport - mt only question would be why didnt we have one before?

just maybe Fulham wouldnt have been such a disaster if we had one then.

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]

totally disagree with you there sheded;

psychology is a big part of sport - mt only question would be why didnt

we have one before?

[/quote]

You can be sure that most clubs have a sports psychologist at hand. It''s obvious really as confidence is such a massive factor.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="ROSSI 46"]

totally disagree with you there sheded; psychology is a big part of sport - mt only question would be why didnt we have one before?

[/quote]

You can be sure that most clubs have a sports psychologist at hand. It''s obvious really as confidence is such a massive factor.
[/quote]

Couldnt agree more, there was a good article in the Express on Sunday about outside help in sports. England Rugby and Cricket have used outside experts to great effect (and success). Yet when Sir Clive tried to get outside help at Southampton Ridiculous Redknapp just laughed it off. Its people like him that are holding football back.

There`s something wrong about all this  psychology stuff  ,   for a start ,  its got to make inroads into the managers authority !    this shrink is talking to each player  on a one to one basis , whats he saying to them , and is Nigel aware ?         seems to me  it will end up in   a conflict   situation   .....

I posted a while back about the need for the club to bring someone in to add some freshness to things, why not a sports psychologist as opposed to an advisor in more orthodox departments. credit to the club for thinking outside the box. Incidentally, I have been impressed with the idea of a huddle since I  saw Blackburn Rovers do it in their last promotion year; it sends out a message.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="SPat"][quote user="ROSSI 46"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Couldnt agree more, there was a good article in the Express on Sunday about outside help in sports. England Rugby and Cricket have used outside experts to great effect (and success). Yet when Sir Clive tried to get outside help at Southampton Ridiculous Redknapp just laughed it off. Its people like him that are holding football back.

[/quote]

Agreed again - it was with the PMA approach that Sven had such an immediate impact when he first took over as England manager.

However I thought we did have a sports psychologist on board for the last 3/4 years?

OTBC  

Think you might be referring to Dave Caralan  , the " sports scientist "  ZLF , what a treasure HE is !    assuming   this massive intellect   has  influenced  the  training sessions   to a great extent    , then look no further  for a reason why most of our injuries  happen on the training field !

Although my first post was  a little bit jokey  ,   it takes nothing away from the fact  that any psychology   should come from the manager !   so this IS a criticism of Nigel ....

It does make you wonder about the fragility   of   some of our players  mental  processes  when it takes a shrink  to  point out what is bleeding obvious about their job !  

Shrink ,  " Mr Ashton ,  lie down on the couch , and relax completely ,  better ?    now , tell me why you keep missing  sitters ? "

Deano ,  " Its not my fault  , its a conspiracy  ... the  other players  are not dropping the ball at my feet , like what I`m used to,  and   when I DO get it  there`s always some bad men  trying to kick me ,  its their  fault that I  keep missing   ....  if they  stopped being nasty   , and let me have a minute or two  to  compose myself  , I`m sure  I could get that round thing   into that huge net thing  ,  and , anyway , I miss my mum   , and breathing all this fresh air upsets me " .

Shrink ,  "There there then ,  look closely at this  bright object   thats  swaying in front of your eyes   ......   are you feeling sleepy ?    of course you are ....    sleeeep     ...  deeeep sleeep    ,    now concentrate on what I say  ...  you are  the best striker in the world " .

Deano , " I am the best striker in the world "  .

Shrink , " Excellent  !   you will now  believe this  until   you sign for another club   , when you will revert to your normal self  ,   when I snap my fingers you will wake up ,  but you will not remember  that  I ever met you ...[6]

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="SPat"][quote user="ROSSI 46"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

and just look at how poor England has been in rugby and Cricket since......

we had a sports psychologist before... he was used in away games during 2002-2003 to "fire the players up" look at our away form that season.... i think it said all that needs to be said.

A managers job is to motivate.,... if we all went into work and our manager said "hello everyone, heres some quack whos going to tell u ur all brilliant and wonderful at your job and can do no wrong" you''d think he was barmy wouldnt you?

if managers did their job then we wouldnt need to waste money on these overpaid unecessary annoyances

jas :)

[quote user="SPat"]You wouldn''t expect NW to be an expert on nutrition, or physiotherapy so why should he be an expert in psychology?
[/quote]

The point I was trying to make   is   what sort of mentality   has Deano got   that needs a psychologist to point out  what his  wages are being paid for !    

If this " sports psychologist " is such a hot shot  in  getting players   to  do the business   , why isn`t he  a football  manager  ?    at a rough guess  , if he`s as good as he thinks he is , he`d be  earning more in a week , than he gets in a year now !     

Jas - Yes because now everyone in Rugby uses the same Technology England first used.

As for cricket, they dont really use psychologists, was just referring to the outside help they had, specific coaches etc.

" if managers did their job then we wouldnt need to waste money on these overpaid unecessary annoyances"

Absolute crap im afraid - If you take Bolton as an example they have a huge backroom staff.  Everything is analysed - who wins how many headers, tackles etc etc Im afraid i dont think enough of this goes on at our club - i would love to see stats of missed place simple passes, good crosses etc etc being used to help ncfc improve.

Motivational coaches work - thats why people hire them --if you can get an extra 5% from a player why not.  If you can focus there mind away from other things why not??  If i am pissed off at work i do a worse job - why should footballers be much different than this??

The proof is in the pudding - Bolton are 4th and they are about the same size club as us.

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

Absolute crap im afraid - If you take Bolton as an example they have a huge backroom staff.  Everything is analysed - who wins how many headers, tackles etc etc Im afraid i dont think enough of this goes on at our club - i would love to see stats of missed place simple passes, good crosses etc etc being used to help ncfc improve.

Motivational coaches work - thats why people hire them --if you can get an extra 5% from a player why not.  If you can focus there mind away from other things why not??  If i am pissed off at work i do a worse job - why should footballers be much different than this??

The proof is in the pudding - Bolton are 4th and they are about the same size club as us.

[/quote]

Agreed. Sir Clive when he was at England called these things CNE''s, critical non-essentials. Basically he thought that improving 100 things by 1% was better than trying to improve one thing by a 100%. If that philosophy makes sense. I cant really describe it too well, but reading his book showed just how critical his ideas were too the world cup triumph, despite him actually doing very little coaching.

Paul - From what Ive heard I think we use prozone (The stats program that tracks players on the pitch and stuff) But Im not too sure.