Sign in to follow this  
Beno27

Sell Green??

This may make me very unpopular, but I personally think that selling Greeno may be the way forward. There are a lot of Premiership teams who would pay a lot for a young England keeper, he''d be ideal for Everton, Man U or Arsenal. If, and only if, we could get a big fee out of a top team, I think the money could be more useful invested in the team rather than standing between the posts (no offence but its hard for a ''keeper to influence a game). At this level, we dont need a top ''keeper, we need a competent keeper. Greens departure could fund a bid for McSheffrey, an attacking midfielder and a winger.

Just a thought...

[quote user="Beno27"]

This may make me very unpopular, but I personally think that selling Greeno may be the way forward. There are a lot of Premiership teams who would pay a lot for a young England keeper, he''d be ideal for Everton, Man U or Arsenal. If, and only if, we could get a big fee out of a top team, I think the money could be more useful invested in the team rather than standing between the posts (no offence but its hard for a ''keeper to influence a game). At this level, we dont need a top ''keeper, we need a competent keeper. Greens departure could fund a bid for McSheffrey, an attacking midfielder and a winger.

Just a thought...

[/quote]

Beno ...  Greeno would have slung his hook  at the end of last season  , but , not ONE club  was interested ! ask yourself why ...

Also , I take issue with your  saying that a goalkeeper can`t influence games ,   there are two  people that CAN  influence games , and thats the ref , and the keeper !   look at  why no clubs are interest in greeno [ so far ]   and work it out for yourself !!!

I have to agree, unfortunately.  There seems to be a lot of posters on here who have a completely unrealistic view of Green''s value.  Ok, to us as a club he is probably worth £3m, but what of his value on the open market?

Ask yourself this question - how much would you be prepared for Norwich City to pay for his services if he were currently plying his trade at another club?  £750k?  £1m?

Green is being very strongly linked with a move to Everton in January around these parts (Cheshire/Merseyside), as Moyes'' lack of faith in Wright has been reinforced during Martyn''s absence and it is well known he is seeking a long-term replacement for Martyn.  However, the figure being quoted is nearer £1.5m than it is £3m.  A colleague of mine who is an Evertonian said he would be more than happy if they signed Green, but only if they paid no more than a million for him.

I think a dash of realism is required.

[quote user="pete"]

What is a big fee ?, realistically a £1m bid will probably secure Greeno''s services.  Undervalued perhaps but I can''t see anyone paying much above thiis figure.

[/quote]

when was the last time a 25 year old England international sold for £1million??? I think Man U and Everton might take on Greeno, its not a risk because they''ve all seen what he can do in the premiership

Robinson only went for £1.5m so I do not expect a big fee if he does move on.

He would leave with my blessing and has the temperament to do well in the prem with a decent team; but I can only see the likes of Citeh at best and more likely Fulham or west brom coming in for him.

Sadly if he does go I thnk we will really miss him far more than most fans realise - ward and gallacher are simply not in the same class and sometimes you only realise how good a oplayers is and whatinfluence they have when they are no longer there. 

OTBC 

i wouldn''t be concerned if he sold him. its good having him here, but he is no vital for us to go up. gallacher or ward could do a steady job for us. if we got offered £1.5m, i believe thats a good price. but i dont think no-one will offer in januray.

it would be a huge mistake to sell him for less than £3 million. How short some people''s memories are...........he was hugely influential in the promotion season( remember that double save against Stoke when we won 1-0) and his best years are still ahead of him. Just cos he hasn''t played up to his very high standards he set himself doesnt mean we should offload him. He is the best keeper in the division by a mile!

I dont think we should sell him, but I have recently been noticing on Match of the Day. and wigan seem to have a real keeper crisis, a real let down in there side.And with Premier league status already secured Green may fancy it, and after francis, we know they can cough up the cash.

[quote user="Oscar Willett"]I dont think we should sell him, but I have recently been noticing on Match of the Day. and wigan seem to have a real keeper crisis, a real let down in there side.
And with Premier league status already secured Green may fancy it, and after francis, we know they can cough up the cash.

[/quote]

I havent noticed any  signs of Francis   being an asset to Wigan  !   [ cue Wiganer }    .... can`t see them   being interested in Greeno  ,  whats always going to haunt  him is that record number of let ins   when we were in the prem ,  all the excuses  that we had a poor defence  cuts no ice  with  clubs looking for a keeper ... he was part of that defence !!! 

Having watched the highlights of the Boro V Tottenham game I would have

thought Boro would have been interested in a more reliable replacement

for Schwarzer. There''s always Villa who don''t exactly have a keeper who

sets the world alight in Sorenson.