Sign in to follow this  
Old Man Andy

Peter Crouch

Just back from the Derby game, and feeling on top of the world. This is what being a Norwich fan SHOULD feel like!

I just wanted to say a few words about Peter Crouch. He is as much responsible as anyone for us being where we are now.......6 (six!) points clear at the top of the league. When he (and Huckerby and Harper) joined us we were an average mid table team.

I''m sure he must be looking at where we are now and feeling a slight pang of regret that he''s not here with us now, enjoying the good times. With the signings of McKenzie, Svennson and a full time Huckerby, and with all the press coverage that''s gone with it, there is a danger that Peter Crouch''s contribution to our cause might be forgotten.

I hope it isn''t, and I wish Peter Crouch the very best of luck for the future. He deserves first team football, and I for one won''t forget what he did for NCFC.

I agree with Old Man Andy.

Whilst nothing should be taken away from Huckerby''s contribution to our current league status, I thought Crouch was more consistently influential. His ability on the ball belied his stature and he surprised me with the amount of control he had over the ball, after first winning it and then holding it up before making a pass - he was a lot more flexible in a tight situation than I thought he would be because of his height. I, too, wish him all the best and, you never know the door could still be open for a return!

Huckerby is a different type of player, Cardiff game excepted, his influence has been shown in flashes of pace and running at defences. This, apart from what he does with the ball himself, opens up defences and creates space in the middle of the pitch for us to build attacks. In his last games for City before the transfer saga opposing teams were sticking two or three men on him at a time.
Also, he scores goals - excellent!

Whilst the majority of fans feel optimistic at the moment I just hope that those fans who seem very quick to turn on the team and individuals when things aren''t going quite right give Huckerby a chance to settle in and make his mark. Any success this season will not be down to just one man - what Worthington seems to have done is create a team spirit not seen since our inaugral Premiership season (this was ever evident at Derby with the goal celebrations - although I''m not sure how chuffed Iwan was when McKenzie grabbed the ball to take the pen, after all he is chasing that magic 100 goal mark).

Confidence is sky-high at the moment and that counts for a lot in a division that is so tight. Now is the time for all City supporters to make the extra effort to get behind the team (fairly cliched phrase I know but we haven''t had a chance like this for a long time).

Top of the League - we''re having a laugh!