Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

The Player

"The Player" is how Worthy referred to Jarrett when asked about his loan ending say "The Player will return on January 2nd".  I don''t really want to attack Worthy too much on media articles and interviews but I couldn''t help thinking how bad I would feel if my boss just called me "the employee".

agreed SC.

this shows poor man management imo... he could of referred to him by name.. even by last name.. Jarrett must just feel like "a number" or a face in the crowd now.

jas :)

As you said, worthington has NEVER been good at interviews, he always chooses the wrong words and repeats himself far too often

He''s got a footballing brain - i.e. one not very developed in the area of verbal communication. Once upon a time, all managers spoke like that (though usually in a Scots accent - or that''s how I remember it anyway). Then along came your fancy Dans like Brian Clough ("I may not be the best manager, but I''m in the top 1"), and then the silky skills of your continentals like Jose Mourinho. All of which leaves Nigel looking a bit flat-footed. But it could be worse, we could have ''Arry Bassett. Actually we COULD have ''Arry Bassett.....

How is it that foreign managers get away with pidgeon English whilst stating the obvious?

Sven Goran Ericsson says things like ''I think we scored a good goal so it was 1-0.''

Mourinhio and Wenger are exceptions of course but perhaps Worthy associates a limited vocabulary, hesitation and cliche speech with managerial nous as he has seen it from some he might aspire to?

On the other hand, knowing how everything he says gets twisted he might just find the old verbal minefield too much to handle. Perhaps he just tripped over the blarney stone when he was trying to find it for a kiss.

Most football managers, regardless of which country they are in, know they can get away with either stating the obvious, sounding less than dynamic, or plodding through on a second language ( as most of us would ), as long as the performances and results are reasonable. Most managers also realise that, when performances and results fall short of where they should be, that same verbal ground will become loaded with minefields, as if by magic. It''s the results that drive the words, not the other way around. You could be locked in an everlasting embrace with the blarney stone but that gets you just so far, in football and in life.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Most football managers, regardless of which country they are in, know they can get away with either stating the obvious, sounding less than dynamic, or plodding through on a second language ( as most of us would ), as long as the performances and results are reasonable. Most managers also realise that, when performances and results fall short of where they should be, that same verbal ground will become loaded with minefields, as if by magic. It''s the results that drive the words, not the other way around. You could be locked in an everlasting embrace with the blarney stone but that gets you just so far, in football and in life.[/quote]

Which is another way of saying  that actions speak louder than words Yankee !   or talks cheap  .....

Nobodies  going to be impressed if Nigel   does a fair rendition  of Shakespeares  , " Much ado about nothing "  ,    if the team played utter crap ......[6]