Sign in to follow this  
morty

Away games

After following the green''n''yeller since 1992 I''m actually going to my first away game soon! Off to Leicester on New Years eve and was after a bit of advice. I''m not going on club coach, I''m driving myself and was wondering, is it a good idea to wear my City shirt or am I likely to get my head kicked in? Thanks!

leicester not as bad as it used to be but to be honest mate i''d keep your colours covered as rather like wolves some of there fans are not to fussy who they hit

not having been to Leicester, but having been to millwall, Stoke and West ham and wore my colours (and survived).... i think u will be ok.. just use a bit of common sense, park in the secure car parks if u can (Might even be parking at the ground.. even better!) and stick with fellow canaries....

jas :)

Its generally ok, I''ve been to Crewe, Bradford, Manchesters, Preston, Leeds, Burnley, Liverpool, and some other places I can''t remember and the worst I''ve managed is a scally manchunian on a dodgy bus through manchester making some sarcy remark about green n'' yella innit!?

I can''t see Leicester being any worse to be honest, i think the only games you have to watch are Millwall and Cardiff, but maybe not?

The Pink''Un site has an away guide, good enough place to start :)

OTBC!

Chunky

Keep your colours covered untill you reach the stadium !

Some of the fans are a bit iffy, but the main problem for visiting supporters are the police & stewards.

My advice :- Pleny of parking in the local streets but if you wish to drive home it''s best to show no signs of who you support.

If you require more secure parking Leicester Rugby Club is a good option unless the Leicester Tigers are also at home !  Then go to the University.

Don''t be ''put off'' by this and enjoy the day.

[quote user="yellow 63"]leicester not as bad as it used to be but to be honest mate i''d keep your colours covered as rather like wolves some of there fans are not to fussy who they hit[/quote]

When we went to wolves in the play off semi a few years back amazingly alot of the wolves fans were very good and impressed with us. Also very friendly considering theyd just lost. Although it could be something todo with the fact it was their favorite team! Birmingham we would be playing.

Leicester is pretty safe. I was born there and have been to watch Norwich play there on a number of occassions and never has there been any trouble.

You lot have got it all wrong though about wearing colours outside the ground. If you wear your shirt/scarf/colours then you are stating that you are there for the football, not for trouble. 99.9% of the time any fights or scuffles are cuased by those who are not wearing colours. I work with a Leeds supporter who used to go to games back in the 80''s when there was always trouble and he reckons trouble would always avoid people wearing shirts/colours.

Obviously the exception is Ipswich. Don''t wear your colours outside Portman Road - especially if you''ve just beaten them (again)

like you i have only recetly been to away games (the first against reading with the mulryne off the ref''s back goal!) and ive worn colours every time, and to be honest i think as norwich go in good numbers i think you avoid trouble, we have a good reputation and i have never witnessed anything, although i have picked the ''friendlier'' teams. Liverpool, Reading, Chalrton (the worst one, got booed by 6-7 year olds!) Aston Villa, Fulham, Q.P.R and Southampton

Hiya Morty

well, well, I would have taken it for granted that you were a regular away traveller given your posts on here!  Still, you are in for a treat at Leicester.  No trouble ever experienced at their ground, either the new one or Filbert Street.  A generally quiet set of fans, with nothing to fear in wearing colours at all.  There is general info on all away grounds etc on this site, link on the home page.

There is plenty of parking near the ground and the away section is large and can create a good atmosphere.  Last time there was hilarous, they had been promoted, we hadn''t, but they were so quiet, no chanting, no cheering nothing.  We wound them up well, singing "Your crisps make more noise than you". 

Hope to see you there, myself and Meeky will be going - you will recognise him, he''s the one swearing at the ref  [:)]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

Hiya Morty

well, well, I would have taken it for granted that you were a regular away traveller given your posts on here!  Still, you are in for a treat at Leicester.  No trouble ever experienced at their ground, either the new one or Filbert Street.  A generally quiet set of fans, with nothing to fear in wearing colours at all.  There is general info on all away grounds etc on this site, link on the home page.

There is plenty of parking near the ground and the away section is large and can create a good atmosphere.  Last time there was hilarous, they had been promoted, we hadn''t, but they were so quiet, no chanting, no cheering nothing.  We wound them up well, singing "Your crisps make more noise than you". 

Hope to see you there, myself and Meeky will be going - you will recognise him, he''s the one swearing at the ref  [:)]

[/quote]

Thanks Gazza, I travel a lot with my job so am away from home a lot, I go to all home games when I''m in the country but if i went to away games I''d get it severely in the neck from Mrs Morty!! Thanks for the info about my anticipated trip, can you recommend a particular parking spot, multi storey or something? I''m after something easy to find and quick to get away from as, being New Years Eve I have partying to do!!   

Morty, have copied this from the pink un away guide, there is other info on it regarding pubs etc!

Last time we found a small council run car park about 5 mins away, no trouble at all, parked alongside Leicester fans.  Let''s hope we have a good game there and come away with three points.

Leave the M1 at Junction 21, or if coming from the Midlands, follow the M69 until the end of the motorway (which meets the M1 at Junction 21).Take the A5460 towards Leicester city centre. Continue on this road, until you go under a railway bridge. Carry on for another 200 yards and turn right at the traffic lights into Upperton Road (sign posted Royal Infirmary) and then right again into Filbert Street. The new stadium is visible just behind the old Filbert Street ground.

Allow yourself a little extra time to get to the ground as traffic does tend to get quite congested near the stadium. Plenty of street parking to be found (especially around the Upperton Road area), although as Greg Barclay warns; ''don''t double park as the traffic wardens tend to have a field day at every match''. Alternatively you can park at Leicester Rugby Club (£3) which is a ten minute walk away from the stadium.

For a map showing the location of the ground
click here (to take you to the Street Map website).

To go to a simplified page, containing the directions and pub info, which you can print out
click here.