Sign in to follow this  
charlies dad

Shameful refereee robs young Canaries.

The City Youth team were ko''d from the FA Youth cup last night by the most contentious late-night penalty you will ever see. From the start, City were a match for a powerful and expensively assembled Chelsea side, and left the field to bitter recriminations aimed at the referee. Although chelsea looked a physically stronger side,  packed with pacy defenders and powerful front runners, City took the lead early on, when the excellent Fish drove home from the edge of the box, following neat Bexfield and Jarvis interplay. Bexfield had already excelled himnself with a tremendous goal line clearance, and continued to impress all night with his display from left back. The massive worley stormed forward and smashed Chelsea level from long range. Half time 1-1. City looked the stronger side in the second half, and with a little more poise in front of goal, may well have claimed the win in normal time. However, we didnt allow for a pompous oaf of a referee, at the start of extra time, who effectively settled the game in Chelseas favour with a stupid decision. The ball volleyed into the face of a city defender from no more than a foot away, he instinctively raised a hand to preserve his facial features, and to widespread dismay, the idiot in black pointed to the spot. Much arguing and bookings ensued, before Chelseas no. 11 slotted the spot kick. To their immense credit, City continued to pound on the Chelsea goal, with the best chance coming after the introduction of the huge Arnold, a goalie, as the third substitute in attack. Winning headers and causing mayhem, the ball broke to El Ouargui, who swivelled and hit a stinging volley, only to see the Chelsea keeper pull off a flying save. final score 2-1 and after 2 hours of solid endeavour, much to be proud of. All 14 players did well, competing with a quality team, and in my opinion shaded the game. special mention to Bexfield, who was superb at left back,  Gusterson, a defender of real promise, Jarvis, whose quality was there for all to see, the inventive Fisk, and a tremendous powerhouse display from Spillane, full of trademark thunderous tackles, clearances and steepling headers. Will Worthington use any of these boys?      

Well said Charlies Dad, it does seem that the "big" teams tend to get all the breaks no matter what level they play at.

Thanks for the excellent report, it is certainly the highlight of my Forum reading.

I was there also and that is a pretty accurate reflection.

Apart from the goalie substitute bit.  The sub went in goal and Big Joe Lewis went up front - most amusing given his black socks and shorts.

The penalty seemed harsh but the Norwich players were not complaining about the handball but were more inscensed about whether it was in the box or not.  Difficult to tell from the Jarrold stand middle when the incident occurred in the Main Stand River End corner.  Although it looked harsh on Sky Sports News this morning.

In my opinion none of these boys are anywhere near ready for the first team but the stand outs were Spillane at Centre Half who looks like the new Shackell and loves a crunching sliding tackle and Chris Martin who has alot of ability but seems not quite a striker or a midfielder (kept reminding me of Mike Sheron!!!). Bexfield at left back who looks about 12, seemed more right footed than left but put himself about and never gave up.

To be fair all of the defensive players had good games - Bexfield at left back who looks about 12, seemed more right footed than left but put himself about and never gave up and Cave-Brown the right back sub loved bombing forward.

We just seemed to lack a couple of prominent performances in midfield where Rossi Jarvis was strangely subdued until about 80 minutes.

We played 5 in midfield and never really gave Asmat in attack enough support and he is not really the hold up type of player that can plough the lone furrow up front on his own.

Thamks for the feedback folks. I was certainly a bit angry about the penalty.. i was ranting about it for an hour afterwards!!! I must have missed the goalie switch! i could have sworn Arnold went straight upfront! In hindsight, im not really sure.. one thing that sttod out for me was when, deep in extra time, Muddel went down with cramp.. a minute or so later he was chasing a lost cause at full speed into the corner, with pain and determination etched in his face. He put several senior players to shame with such an attitude.

thanks again for another decent report.

hopefully worthy wont cotten on to putting goalkeepers upfront........

if ashton means, he will think its ok not to replace it, and stick the unused gallacher upfront........

Agree 100% about the young lad Bexfield seen him in a couple of reserve team games and looks very confident when he comes on normally in mid field. Lets hope a few 1st teamers were watching and copy his example this week . Hope the referee enjoys his night out at Stamford Bridge on the next  big European night, typical official sucking up to the big boys    

its shocking that referess can be so consistently poor and get away with it! i personally dont think the game needs TV replays or technology etc.. i think it needs referees to swallow their pride and lose the "hitler" syndrome.

Look at the premiership.. when we played Arsenal last season, wasnt it Lauren who pulled back Hucks??? he got merely a yellow... the following week someone else does it against the Gooners and gets sent off!!!

Also, the man utd "time added on" scandal when the fourth official added 1 minute only for a "quiet word" from fergie to get it changed.. Man utd won (was that against Bolton?)

the bigger teams get preferential treatment.. its all to do with the money the FA gets from so called "bigger" clubs being in europe.. can you imagine a season where Utd, or Arsenal or Chelski failed to qualify??? the FA''s pocket would suffer so they get ''help'' in their task.

Take Man utd now.. with the exception of 1 or 2 players they arent the best team in the premiership anymore.. i certainly dont think top 3 material.... yet they finish high up consistantly despite their so called "decline" yet watch the refs in their games....

jas :)