Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Worthy Urges Jarvis to Sign Contract

Taken from the BBC website,

Norwich boss Nigel Worthington has urged 17-year-old Rossi Jarvis to sign his first professional contract.

Worthington is concerned the defender has not yet agreed the deal which has been on the table for two weeks.

"It''s a very good offer and we''d very much like the boy to sign," he told the club''s website.

"The ball is in his court. It''s a very fair offer from the club and what the boy needs to do is get it signed and get on with his job."

Jarvis has made three substitute appearances for the Canaries this season and has risen through the Carrow Road academy.

The deal is initially for two years with another two-year option to follow.

Worthington said: "As long as he progresses in the right way, Norwich will always make the first move in terms of coming back to the player with a view to offering a new and better contract in the future."

Jarvis is the younger brother of striker Ryan, who is an England youth international and the youngest player ever to play for the first team.

Rossi made history himself when he became the youngest to play in City''s reserve side when he was just 14.

Ryan this year amid striker injury crisis

Games played by Ryan Jarvis in 2005/2006GoalsCards
20-09-2005English League CupNorwich2-0Northampton0
18-10-2005Football League ChampionshipLuton4-2Norwich1
22-10-2005Football League ChampionshipQPR3-0Norwich0
Goals: 1 Yellow cards: 0 Red Cards: 0

Rossi this year amid Midfield injury crisis

Games played by Rossi Jarvis in 2005/2006

GoalsCards
26-10-2005English League CupBirmingham2-1Norwich0
05-11-2005Football League ChampionshipWolves2-0Norwich0
22-11-2005Football League ChampionshipMillwall1-0Norwich0

Goals: 0 Yellow cards: 0 Red Cards: 0

In normal circumstances a 17 year old would "bite the hand of" a

manager offering a professional contract. So why is Rossi hesitating,

and why does the manager need to make a public appeal to Rossi to sign?

Is the hesitancy connected to the rumour of Premiership clubs enquiring.

Whatever the explanation, it does not seem like a normal situation for

a 17 year old. He has not jumped at a chance to sign at Norwich. Is the

lure of the Premiership too strong, or are the deficiencies at Norwich

to noticeable, - little chance for youngsters to break in, low morale,

or whatever?

Why is Rossi Jarvis stalling on signing a new contract? Apparently, it has been on the table for two weeks...surely in this day and age, a 17 yr-old would love to get offered a professional deal.

Am I missing something?

I understand people don''t like and rate Worthy and I am becoming less convinced by him on a daily basis but I am sick of the blinkered use of every situation to try and justify the Worthy is rubbish and so are the club thoughts.

How many games and goals has Ryan Jarvis scored for the Reserves this season. When he hasn''t been injured and unavailable this season have his performances for the reserves and on the training ground been good enough to force the managers hand?  Or has he wandered about and not really produced the goods?

Is it my mistake or is Rossi Jarvis only 17?  Wouldn''t you have thought that senior pros and experienced players at this level would be able to do a job for the game or two required?  I would have hoped Brennan and Jarrett would have stepped up but they didn''t and that is why Rossi came on as a sub.  Did you witness Rossi''s less than impressive and imposing performance last night against a whole team of 17 year olds?

Now I am NOT saying that neither are good enough and that they shouldn''t be given a chance but stop using every piece of news to slate Worthingthon.  Apparently he sees Ryan Jarvis play every day and not just for 20 minutes against Liverpool 12 months ago.

Pretty concerning to resort to PR urges to get him to sign.

His parents are bound to be an influence, and maybe they are a little frustrated y Ryan''s lack of progress into the first team from being the great white hope of 3 years ago - albeit his injury troubles this season may well have come at the wrong time for him opportunity wise.

Let''s hope he signs - would be bad news to see what potential that the Academy produces drift off elsewhere: along with our star player exodus forecast for january it may well leave a bleak looking future of Robinsons and Jarretts ahead!!

Hmm - sign a pro contract with city in the knowledge that the current manager is unlikely to give you a game so take the easy money or hope another club comes in as your agents makes some noises about prem interest and get a better deal.

I''d stall if I was Rossi - what is there to rush for if you are 17 - wait and see what comes along.

OTBC 

hmm.. League 1 with Norwich where u will no doubt get released onto the scrap heap in a cost cutting measure, or the premiership with Charlton where u have a chance of actually breaking into the team???

seeing the treatment his Brother has got will no doubt make his mind up.. and as someone on here said yesterday.. Rossis representatives are obviously doing their job very well.

Enjoy London Rossi.. dont forget your roots!

jas :)

The way Mr W treats the ''youngsters'' generally, I''m not surprised Rossi''s not rushing to sign.  Other teams who believe they have talent on their hands nurture it and use it.  Not us, not even when we''re on our uppers... (incidentally, I don''t see Henderson as ''talent'', sadly)

Furthermore, Worthless talks about the young talent we have in such disparaging tones:

''what the boy wants to do is to get it signed and get on with his work''....

''everyone has to start somewhere'' ..... 

''he knows what he has to do''..... etc etc   

Well, all that would certainly make me feel wanted and keen to stay - ha, ha  [8o|]

On top of that, Worthless typically feeds them scraps by giving them a few minutes at the end of a game, long lost...

Think long and hard, Rossi mate.... unless you measure success by how cold you get sitting on the bench (if you''re lucky) - or maybe he''s got you cutting up the lemons for half-time?  [^o)]

if i was rossi i''d sign. no chance of getting a game in the prem, unless his obvious talent goes ballistic over the next year.

He should gamble on city ''doing an ipswich'' in 18 months and losing their quality players as the prem parachute money runs out.

By then, he''ll be 19 and ready to step into a city midfield as a rising

star - much like russell did. (though lets hope rossi fulfils his full

potential) 

you make a good point Oso...

rather than worthy coming out and saying "We hope Rossi will sign with us, we thik he has an exciting future here and he knows the club well... hopefully he can look forward to a long and succesful career"

he basicalyl says "sight it BOY!" or "your still wet the behind the ears so what the hell would you know?"

imagine if, 3 years ago, Worthington had got the Everton with a certain mr Rooney in the side... Would Rooney be the player he is today? would he be an established international and regular goalscorer? at 19 would he be sent out on loan or have to make do with 10 minutes here and 5 minutes there???? i think so...

if Worthy has a problem with young players then just what is it???? does he think they are all lazy? does he think that young men all go out causing trouble or not working hard etc???? we have had some good players slip through the net in the last 5 years only to be released for free...

couple that with the fact it costs money to bring these lads through, train them, help them with their eductaion and other things that the club does to assist them and it isnt a cheap option.. yet we release them for nothing without even a chance.. and no  way of recouping the money...

Id like to know just how much we have essentially "wasted" on training up acadamy talent in the last few years.. thats 1 figure we dont get on the annual statment!

jas :)

I pick on the point of how much money is wasted on academy talent, the fact is that Norwich get a substantial amount from the FA which is in recognition of being an academy club which I believe is a 6 figure sum per annum.  The "wages" the scholars get is also the minimum allowed £45.00 per week for 1st year, £50.00 per week for 2nd year and £90.00 per week for 3rd year scholars, so that would hardly break the bank anyway, education etc is all allowed for in the FA allowance. The academy players get a win bonus of less than £10.00.  so all in all I dont think that the club are wasting any money on it.  Also FONCY raises a lot of money to pay additional costs for the teams, ie Tournaments abroad, Travel, Hotels etc. so that does not come from the clubs coiffers. 

The club would get compensation if Rossi Jarvis does not sign pro which is recognition of the time and money (which is outlined above)  have spend coaching him since he was 6.  At this moment in time I doubt that he would sign and if NW thinks that going public and maybe trying to "bully" him into it will work I think he will be sorely wrong.

Can anyone really blame him for not signing?!  I sure as hell can''t.

Here''s some figures. Norwich currently have 6 players (ie, given a squad number) who have been at the club all there careers.

Green, Shackell, Hendo, Jarvis and Jarvis, Joe Lewis.

So, one first teamer who wants to leave, 2 squad players, and 3 others who are unlikely to make the bench.

Now, I don''t like to compare us to Ipswich...but they are around the same league placing as us, but they have...

14 players who have played this season, who have risen through the ranks, of which 8 were in the squad vs QPR on saturday!!

Something is desperately wrong

I''m sorry but there is simply a load of old tosh being written on this thread it has made me extremely angry. Nobby G is spot on with his analysis. The rest of you are just trying to use it as ammunition to support your Worthy out argument, even though none of you understand the transition from youth player to professional. Based on your responses, none of you have ever been anywhere near a youth team, as your responses are completely clueless.

Firstly, the Rooney argument. Don''t make me laugh. That guy is a special case. He would''ve been in our first team without question. Players of that kind of talent would be played. Just like Bellamy was. That argument shouldn''t even have been put forward. The simple fact is, none of our youngster come anywhere near to his level of ability, so how can you compare him with the progress of youth players under Worthington??????!!!!!!!! Rooney was a world class talent at 18!!!!

Now Ryan Jarvis. Why isn''t this guy in our first team? Okay, when you are a youth player (as I once was), you only get a chance in the first team if the first team player gets injured or suspended, or you''re superb. The first team player is in the team because he''s proven at this level. Now unless you are obviously a procoutious talent, you have to prove you are good enough to take the place of that first team player. That means, when you get a chance in the first team, you have to bust your balls to prove you can do it. And then you need to bust your balls to go the extra yard than the first team player, to put the ball in the net when the chance comes along, not stick it in the stand. You may never get another chance. And this is the point. Ryan Jarvis has done very very little at this club in the last 3.5 years or so. You''ll all say - "he''s never had a chance". Oh yes he has! He''s had his chances - AND HE''S NEVER TAKEN ANY OF THEM!!!! That''s the underlying point. Yes, the chances are few and far between - but that''s how tough it is as a youth player. You have to come in and do the business! He hasn''t. And now he''s always injured, so if he does get a goal, he can''t sustain a run in the team as he gets injured, losing his place. You can bet your life he will be released at the end of this season. And fade from the game. He''s too lazy by all accounts. He needs to bust his balls. And his impending failure of his older brother is no doubt why Rossi is hesitating, because he''s worried he''ll end up going the same way.

However, Rossi should learn from where Ryan has gone wrong. Rossi will get chances at Carrow Road, if he works hard, goes that extra mile. And when his chance comes, which it will, if rare, he must take it - because you don''t get many chances. Yes he could go to a Premiership club, but he''ll play even less there - if at all. The pressure on Premiership managers to win every game means they''ll only play youngsters if a) the youngsters are exceptional or b) injury crisis. Fact is, Rossi is better of staying here, and working hard. IF he does, he''ll do well.

As for Crow - time will tell - but I reckon he couldn''t cut it at this level. He''s like Hayes. A lower league player. He''ll do well there. Like Chris Greenacre did well at Mansfield in the lower leagues, but couldn''t score for toffee at Championship level for Stoke. Simply a fact of life.

I must say when I posted this article I expected this reaction.  I''m in agreement with Nobby and Poirot though, Jarvis the Elder has done precious little to warrant a place in the first team.  I''m sure we all recall that he went on loan at the end of last season and did very little to light up the lower leagues.  I have seen him play many times for England and there is no doubt that amongst that group of young players he is clearly one of the most talented but also one of the laziest.

I''m sure Rossi will sign but I don''t like the way the club appear to be trying to bully him via public statements.

Excellent post Poirot. As an adjunct, people are complaining that youth team players aren''t getting a chance, err Henderson has had many chances and what happens? He gets huge amounts of stick from the "fans". The same fans who will whinge about Worthy if he leaves and does well somewhere else.