Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

OT - Murray Comeback

I know some dont like the guy (never understood it personally) but for tennis fans in general it's been great to see him start his comeback with doubles.

He played God knows how long through pretty consistent pain so it will be interesting to see how far he can go again, assuming he makes it through Queens and Wimbledon doubles. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I know some dont like the guy (never understood it personally) but for tennis fans in general it's been great to see him start his comeback with doubles.

He played God knows how long through pretty consistent pain so it will be interesting to see how far he can go again, assuming he makes it through Queens and Wimbledon doubles. 

He’s still not that old when you compare him with a few others around. 

It's great to see him looking fit and playing again and playing doubles.  But I really don't want to see him as he was before - pushing himself too far to try and get back to where he was. His body has shown him it is not up to the rigours of top level singles and I hope he now just sticks with the lesser impact of playing doubles. 

His new hip is all well and good, but if it goes again (and even in non sporting people new hips don't last much more than 10-15 years) he will face problems later on.  

So for me, great to see him enjoying being out there and being fit, but ambition wise, I hope he doesn't try singles at the top level anymore. He has nothing to prove and the main thing is that he stays fit. 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It's great to see him looking fit and playing again and playing doubles.  But I really don't want to see him as he was before - pushing himself too far to try and get back to where he was. His body has shown him it is not up to the rigours of top level singles and I hope he now just sticks with the lesser impact of playing doubles. 

His new hip is all well and good, but if it goes again (and even in non sporting people new hips don't last much more than 10-15 years) he will face problems later on.  

So for me, great to see him enjoying being out there and being fit, but ambition wise, I hope he doesn't try singles at the top level anymore. He has nothing to prove and the main thing is that he stays fit. 

Did he have a total hip replacement? I haven't done much research, but I was under the impression that he had his own hip rasped down to make it easier and manage the pain.

Quick google and answered my own question. Was a bit of both. Hip resurfacing will rasp down the socket, and add a metal cap over the ball. You were spot on with the time frame. And the revision is nasty stuff (we have two happening at my hospital today, granted I don't see the aftermath of post-treatment care.) 

But, given his passion for the sport. Its understandable him wanting to push himself to get maybe 3 or 4 more years playing at the highest level

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I hear what you're saying, but equally hes showing signs of his competitive streak already and I'd like to see him challenging again. 

Theres another couple of years yet where it seems the ageing top players are still going to be at the top. Every chance he could be one of them.

4 hours ago, Redders Right Foot said:

and add a metal cap over the ball.

Does he now wear bigger pants ?

• Haha 1

The final was a Spanish guy and Scotsman v An Englishman and an American. I was not supporting Murray's return.  

Edited by SwindonCanary

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

The final was a Spanish guy and Scotsman v An Englishman and an American. I was not supporting Murray's return.  

He represents Great Britain, and does a very good job, Davis Cup being a fine example. Are you deliberately obtuse?

Never understood the dislike of Andy, nor his stance on being scottish.  He is simply being honest and passionate in his chosen sport. Being scottish and liking it is not a crime, nor is being proud of winning for Great Britain and representing all of us in the Olympics and the Davis cup. 

His persona was a bit dull early in his career,  but has been in the spotlight like no other british sportsmen and had to learn to be media savvy the hard way. He has matured into a superb representative for his sport and a likeable and humourous guy.  If nothing else his commitment to being the best he can be is an example to any sportsman or woman.   It has cost him a new hip and perhaps his mobility in the long run.  One of the greatest british sportsmen of all time.

• Like 2

Agree I've never understood why people don't like him.

Went through something traumatic as a child and came through it to become on the greatest of his generations at a highly competitive sport.

That is before you factor in some of his great off court actions and generally reasonably humble personality.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Did he not support anybody playing England at football a few years ago ?

35 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Alway support an Englishman over a Scotsman,  plus he hates England, that does not help.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/my-regrets-over-england-joke-by-andy-murray-8142475.html

Have we not, as Englishmen, all made the same type of joke about Scotland on a regular basis over the course of our lives? Besides, it's been well established that Murray made that comment in the run up to the 2006 World Cup after Tim Henman sitting next to him took the **** because Scotland weren't there. Holding that joke against Murray 13 years later isn't really justified.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, king canary said:

Agree I've never understood why people don't like him.

Went through something traumatic as a child and came through it to become on the greatest of his generations at a highly competitive sport.

That is before you factor in some of his great off court actions and generally reasonably humble personality.

He's also a bit unlucky in that his time at the top came at he same time as we've seen arguably 3 of the best ever men's tennis players in Federer, Djokovic and Nadal. In any other period of tennis Murray would probably have over double the amount of grandslams he already does.

I think Andy Murray is great.

There I said it. I like tennis and I'm glad he's been able to make a comeback. Good on him. Funny how people from England want to support him when he's doing well and claim him as 'one of their own' yet when he's not playing, he's some sadsack from Scotland. Bizarre!

Anyway, I prefer footie to tennis any day of the week.

As an aside, I once saw Judy Murray on a flight to Edinburgh as she was sat behind me. Easyjet flight, from the horror that is Luton airport, so they do slum it sometimes too. 😉

• Like 2

Great to see an Englishman put up a fight this evening (Evans) , than a Scotsman who accepts support yet openly shows distain for those that support him. 

Glad he is finished. Good luck in the doubles pal. Yeah right. 

11 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Great to see an Englishman put up a fight this evening (Evans) , than a Scotsman who accepts support yet openly shows distain for those that support him. 

"Openly shows disdain" No he doesn't - and hasn't. His britishness isn't in question, all he does is support scotland before england and there is nothing wrong with that.

12 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Binner.

(Am I doing this right!?)

• Haha 1

I really can't understand people like Andy Murray.

The guy's got millions in the bank, a settled life married with two young kids and he's finally free of pain. He can at last enjoy doing things with the family. Why risk further hip  damage by continuing to play ?

He won't achieve the same level of success again so why not simply retire now and enjoy the fruits of your labour ?