Sign in to follow this  
smooth

Oliveira - 30k a week

If the reports are true, we are totally restricted by NO. Big wages for a player that really does not warrant them 

I hope at some point the football league could take a NFL stance and have guaranteed £ for a period of a contract and the power being with the employer.

I can see why Reading cannot afford £ close to the 30k, that reportedly NO is on. But my god I hope we can move him on

A talented player that's never proved it. If price is the issue then no one will take him and instead will be eyeing him up for a loan deal and for when he is on a free.

46 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

A talented player that's never proved it. If price is the issue then no one will take him and instead will be eyeing him up for a loan deal and for when he is on a free.

Rumours in the media suggest he's available for free now as we want him off the books

1 hour ago, smooth said:

I hope at some point the football league could take a NFL stance and have guaranteed £ for a period of a contract and the power being with the employer.

That's not really how NFL contracts work though....

59 minutes ago, kick it off said:

That's not really how NFL contracts work though....

And to top it off, we do not want NFL contracts coming in to our game. Although, some may be happy at the extreme lack of player power.

10 minutes ago, Redders Right Foot said:

And to top it off, we do not want NFL contracts coming in to our game. Although, some may be happy at the extreme lack of player power.

To be fair, I'd love to see a salary cap and a salary floor put in place for each division. That would keep things competitive. Problem is that NFL is a closed market - American Football doesn't really exist outside the US in any meaningful capacity. If we had a cap in the English leagues then it would need to be implemented across world football which would be incredibly complex and impractical. 

17 minutes ago, kick it off said:

To be fair, I'd love to see a salary cap and a salary floor put in place for each division. That would keep things competitive. Problem is that NFL is a closed market - American Football doesn't really exist outside the US in any meaningful capacity. If we had a cap in the English leagues then it would need to be implemented across world football which would be incredibly complex and impractical. 

I would 100% be for a cap. But when I think of NFL contract issues my #1 issue is player trades and "franchise tags" - tags are a little hard to describe, especially for a casual watcher who only views to take money off of friends in fantasy leagues. But the idea of a player can basically have a year extension forced on them is a bit bleh. And works quite a bit differently than "extra year options" we have.

Player trades are my biggest gripe. If a player is under contract he can be used as the team wishes. If washington decided they wanted to ship one of their players 3000some miles to Seattle, the player can have little to no say in the matter. He has to pack up his house and family go. A lot of people consider it a trivial thing considering how much money they make. But to me its a stupid concept.

11 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

The sad thing is he has proved it.

The problem is with what's inside that thing above his shoulders.

12 hours ago, smooth said:

If the reports are true, we are totally restricted by NO. Big wages for a player that really does not warrant them 

I can see why Reading cannot afford £ close to the 30k, that reportedly NO is on. But my god I hope we can move him on

Most people would be happy with just £30k a year let alone a week. Who do these football players think they are???

3 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Most people would be happy with just £30k a year let alone a week. Who do these football players think they are???

They are human and imo should have a certain amount of empathy. I would like all footballers to be motivated just by the football, but money does funny things to people and the lure of it can overturn more wholesome thoughts about what us important. 

21 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

If someone offered me £30,000 a week for something legal, I would seriously consider it!!:classic_biggrin:

You can't blame any player for accepting what is offered, nor for trying to maximise his income during a short career.

You can't blame any player for accepting what is offered, nor for trying to maximise his income during a short career.

Good point if it is totally correct. But we do know in some cases that the introduction of agents rather than the player or PFA, have made wage bargaining a bit different. And it does go further than just wages.

And further to the NFL example, the recruitment of players is mainly done differently to football so although a cap or even a league maximum is desirable, it would be met by opposition from nearly all, apart from spectators, within the game.

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

If someone offered me £30,000 a week for something legal, I would seriously consider it!!:classic_biggrin:

That’s pretty much everyone Badger, but I don’t see a short career as justification! Everyone goes from certain jobs to others and we all change career paths so do footballers most old school went into other jobs after football. 👍

• Like 1

I agree that the rewards for footballers are silly, but like any market it requires someone to be prepared to pay the silly amounts.

"The market" has no morals - a care worker, who daily performs vital and intimate tasks for many of the most needy in society barely gets paid the living wage, whilst a top sportsperson or TV presenter earns millions a year. I don't like it, but can't blame anyone for trying to make the most of it whilst they can. In all honesty, I am more concerned about the injustice at the bottom end of the wage ladder than the top!

Getting back to football, I'm glad that we have done what we can as a football club to minimise the risks of this market. The Director/ Coach model removes the perverse incentives for a manager to pay any price for an old player in the hope that it might keep him in a job for a year longer without due regard to the long-term health of the club. I'm sure that we can all identify examples of this...

• Like 2

I think my point is that the contracts are very static, £30,000 a week over 3 years with bonuses on top. Or so I would presume

Just be interesting to see the evolution of football contract structure. Relegation clauses I know can be put in, but maybe having a top heavy contract to get a star in and maybe have less ££ nearer the end of the deal but be open to then renegotiate.

We read the reports of new deals just as ie. pogba on £300,000k a week. I am not saying I need to know exactly his contract but I do like the structure of NFL contracts and the system. 

If we cannot get decent loan fee or 30-50% wages paid let him sit out this season this will seriously curtail his career, happy not to play is not going to impress suitors.  Any agent must advise the player surely it would be better to show a good attitude instead of short term gain. I suppose he does see himself playing in the future.  We've already seen Oliviera's poor attitude at Fulham let him rot.

I believe this is Oliviera's fourth year. 

43 minutes ago, Badger said:

I agree that the rewards for footballers are silly, but like any market it requires someone to be prepared to pay the silly amounts.

"The market" has no morals - a care worker, who daily performs vital and intimate tasks for many of the most needy in society barely gets paid the living wage, whilst a top sportsperson or TV presenter earns millions a year. I don't like it, but can't blame anyone for trying to make the most of it whilst they can. In all honesty, I am more concerned about the injustice at the bottom end of the wage ladder than the top!

Completely agree but can I be fussy about one thing - it’s not the “Living Wage”, it’s a higher minimum wage that George Osborne disingenuously decided should be called the “National Living Wage”. It’s disappointing that the media swallowed this con trick whole. There’s a 79p/hour difference between what the Living Wage Foundation say it should be and the minimum wage, which is about £1,400 a year for a 35 hour week.

• Like 2

Hopefully some club might be prepared to take him on loan and pay some of his reported 30k a week wages. If not we will just have to wait until his contract expires like we did with Naismith.

If rumours are to be believed, he's training with Reading (or at least their Portuguese fitness coach). I suspect it'll be another loan with Reading paying a percentage of his wages.  Wonder if his contract includes a pay rise for our promotion?

NO is a big time Charlie. Get him out asap. Sadly cant see anyone taking him off us

44 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

We need to be on the phone to Steve Bruce to sound out a potential exchange deal - Nelson Oliveira for Jordan Rhodes..

Genius!!!!